Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is USF1 finished?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
Uwe
A guy who claims to be working at USF1 offers some depressing insights:

AtlasF1 forum

Of course it has to be taken with a grain of salt. But if it's true then it looks pretty much like being over for USF1.
moe
Damn son. Sounds like Bernie knew what was up. Stefan GP?
Phix
Haha, do you post on Atlas F1 forums, too, Uwe?

Yeah, I read CompositeKen's first post, too. I'm really undecided on if he's an elaborate troll or not. There is a LOT OF negativity towards USF1 on AtlasF1 forums so it could be someone trying to desperately claim that USF1 isn't going to make it.

If you read back on that thread there's plenty of people claiming USF1 is just an elaborate hoax/scam/Ponzi scheme (Yes, really)/whatever on Peter Windosr's and Ken Anderson's part. I'm not totally dismissing this CompositeKen's guys remarks but it's still kind of hard to believe it's 100% true and not a troll. Call me 'internet-jaded'.

I guess we'll find out the truth come Bahrain...
BlackJack
They better not be skipping out. I, along with my friend, got tickets for the Montreal GP in June biggrin.gif
Bjorn
^Would you not go if there wasn't an American team on the grid?
BlackJack
Psh, I would still go regardless, but it's not as exciting as expecting the American team there.
Razor
QUOTE(BlackJack @ Feb 10 2010, 07:19 PM) *
Psh, I would still go regardless, but it's not as exciting as expecting the American team there.

Let's be fair... it'll probably save all the American fans there some embarrassment. tongue.gif
clarkma5
So at the moment, Jean Todt says that the Concorde Agreement will allow USF1 and Campos META (and, I guess, any other team...) to miss up to the first three races and still have an entry for the rest of the season...but then the FIA released something saying that there would be major penalties if any races got missed? So in other words, I have no idea, and it doesn't sound like the FIA does either...

Todt says one thing: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81359

FIA says another thing: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81382
Uwe
I read it as "you can miss three races without being kicked out of F1 but expect some penalties".
tune
On a side note to this, I see that Dallara are saying that the Campos chassis is on schedule, but there are things out of their control that are holding things up. I guess this means funding has run out.
Uwe
Just found that link on Autosport. Looking very dim indeed.

http://www.charlottecpe.com/propertyView.cfm?PID=21321
Bjorn
The USF1 building is up for lease?

That doesn't bode well.
pervert
Isnt that just showing the building for sale?

"Formula 1 Race Shop - Five-year NNN lease 33,690 Sq. Ft. in immaculate condition. 100% air conditioned and heated. $620,000 in building renovations by tenant in 2009. Leased through June 2014."

I read that as it being leased until 2014.
Lancer007
They might be planning moving to a better facility at the end of that lease if they plan on being competitive. that could be plausible.....
clarkma5
QUOTE(pervert @ Feb 15 2010, 04:20 PM) *
Isnt that just showing the building for sale?

"Formula 1 Race Shop - Five-year NNN lease 33,690 Sq. Ft. in immaculate condition. 100% air conditioned and heated. $620,000 in building renovations by tenant in 2009. Leased through June 2014."

I read that as it being leased until 2014.

Good call, that makes much more sense. USF1 leases the space, the owner is selling the building with the lease to be carried over by whoever buys it.
BlackJack
Clark and pervert gets a cookie
bobo27
US F1 could skip 2010

That's a pitty, wanted to see them on track...
clarkma5
It really is sounding like between USF1 and Campos, there is money and support for...one team. And that USF1 will be the team to lose from that. Sadness for all (five) american F1 fans sad.gif
Uwe
An autoweek journalist who was supposed to do a piece on the USF1 factory yesterday had his visit cancelled by email from USF1.
moe
No chassis, no crash tests, and press events have been cancelled. NYT reported that a major sponsorship deal fell through. Here's the article at ESPNF1.
Bjorn
I hope they make it to the grid, but if there is no hope in hell, move aside now and let one of the teams waiting in the wings onto the grid. Holding a spot when you know you are fucked is a douche move.
moe
I'm predicting neither USF1 nor Campos are going to make it to the grid. Stefan GP will.
tune
If Stefan GP do make it on the grid, I do hope they're ready in more than having a car and drivers. From what I've heard they are and the car shouldn't be too bad, as Toyota were developing it from early on last season.
moe
They've taken on a bunch of scandalous ex-McLaren guys, at least they've got experience with a top team. Who knows, maybe they'll get Briatore next...I hope not.
clarkma5
Stefan is rumored to pair Jacques Villeneuve with Kazuki Nakajima...I kinda doubt it, but gotta admit that would be cool if that happened. Then we'd have five previous world champions on one grid this season!
moe
USF1 asks to skip four races. Admits the request may be rejected and that Chad Hurley and Jose Maria Lopez are "exploring their options."

Which leads into this story. Adrian Campos has been replaced as the team principal, and the team name will likely change. There are also rumors that Lopez will bring his sponsorship money over to the team and sign with them, as will Hurley. Seems like what Clarkma said about the two teams having enough money between them to run one may be true.
Dr. Strangelove
Sounds like a way to try and save face here. "We could have built a team, but we needed four races not three and they wouldnt let us."
clarkma5
I'm gonna take them at face value on this one...they've put a lot of money and effort into this, they're on the cusp of making it in and are hoping for some help. Saying they're trying to "save face" assumes they're just going to throw in the towel but blow a bunch of money on it before they wrap it up for the sake of their egos. That much I doubt...it makes no sense in business.
tune
Still, Campos aren't out of the woods yet, I've heard nothing about them being at Barcelona, so that doesn't bode well.
Dr. Strangelove
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 20 2010, 07:33 PM) *
I'm gonna take them at face value on this one...they've put a lot of money and effort into this, they're on the cusp of making it in and are hoping for some help. Saying they're trying to "save face" assumes they're just going to throw in the towel but blow a bunch of money on it before they wrap it up for the sake of their egos. That much I doubt...it makes no sense in business.

That's fair. I guess time will tell. I still hope they can pull it of, but it's so hard to stay positive with all the bad news.
Dr. Strangelove
There is talk of a Stephan GP USF1 merger.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-...g-us-f1-merger/

USF1 just tweeted this this morning so it hast to hold water.

I don't really know how I feel about this, as I really don't like Stephan, but I really would love to see a US Formula 1 team.
moe
Oh wow, that would give Stefan GP a legit entry, and USF1...well everything. Sounds like a win-win. Apparently, the FIA's sent inspectors to check out the UFS1 premises to see what they have ready.
Dr. Strangelove
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 26 2010, 12:59 PM) *
the FIA's sent inspectors to check out the UFS1 premises to see what they have ready.

... a flag.
Dr. Strangelove
USF1 formally asked the FIA if they can run in 2011 instead.
Bjorn
Would that mean, figuratively, leaving an empty spot open on the grid? Or booting a team ready for 2010 out in 2011?

I don't think I'm biased against a USF1 team, I think I would be like this for any team, but my own personal opinion is, you had a shot for 2010, you blew it. Now you go to the back of the line and wait for Renault to inevitably drop out.
Dr. Strangelove
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 28 2010, 08:51 PM) *
Would that mean, figuratively, leaving an empty spot open on the grid? Or booting a team ready for 2010 out in 2011?

I don't think I'm biased against a USF1 team, I think I would be like this for any team, but my own personal opinion is, you had a shot for 2010, you blew it. Now you go to the back of the line and wait for Renault to inevitably drop out.

Hate to say it but I agree. Give Stephan a shot. Then when they can't build a car for 2011, let USF1 have a go.
moe
Renault's not dropping out, they sold the team, and is basically Renault only in name. I'd expect Campos to drop-out (provided they even make it to the starting grid) before anyone else does. I think USF1 should've come to this conclusion ages ago, but I'm not sure Stefan should be given the slot. Granted, they are well-placed to take it, but what of all the teams that were passed up for a slot? I'm still at a loss for why Prodrive, probably one of the more respected names in motorsport, wasn't given a slot and USF1 and Campos were.
Bjorn
This might just be me being a conspiracy theorist, but it plays into the FIAs hands having weaker teams on the grid. The more precarious the team, the less likely they are to join FOTA in any shit-disturbing or mutinying.

Also, wasn't agreeing to use the Cosworth engine one of the 'unofficial' requirements of becoming a new team? I would imagine Prodrive would want to either make their own or source something proven to be competitive.
clarkma5
I think the Cosworth engine thing is a non-issue, they look to have a strong power plant this year. They may even be better than Renault at this stage, it's hard to say.
tune
I think Prodrive probably didn't show enough enthusiasm. My mate who works there (not for long he's moving to M-Sport) said that at the time no-one was aware of any mobilisation ready for an F1 team and they would've been up shit creek without a paddle had they got an entry.
Uwe
Game over for USF1.
Marien
If Autosport is reporting it, it must really be over.
BlackJack
^Yeah, Jalopnik caught the news just now. Sucks balls.
clarkma5
Damn, I was really hoping they wouldn't turn out to be a laughing stock...fail for american racing fans.
Altostratus
F1 has been pretty fail since the 70's
moe
USF1 probably barely even made a dent on the credibility of Formula 1 in the US, cancelling the race there did much, much more.
Bjorn
I think the USF1 fiasco probably did more harm to the US's motorsport image in the rest of the world. Which is a shame, because there is a lot of tallent there, and a very cool history of grassroots motorsport tallent.

I think that there is nothing wrong with a US based team, but that can't be the only thing you have going for you, which is, at times, how I felt about USF1.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.