porsche944
61MbPS AVERAGE?! this seems unfair

NorthPoint
Population Denstiy,

Japan = 337/km2

USA = 31/km2

Return on investment...
Bjorn
^And, IIRC, Highspeed internet in Japan is a public service.

Don't quote me on that though . . . my memory get's muddled sometimes.
moe
Hey Leif, did you ever get a new keyboard? You've had that sig for ever...
Bjorn
I have a new computer, I inherited my dad's MacBook Pro a few months back. Hold on one sec . . .

EDIT: Much improved?
fiber optic
The infamous "Leifitis"
Seethegrim
If you feeling wronged in what kind of bandwidth you're getting, feel free to come to SA where your average is 512kb. Yeah, thats right, average isn't even 1mb. I've got a 4mb line, but I'm paying through my anus for it.
Marien
Free 100 mbit connection courtesy of the university FTW cool.gif
Razor
QUOTE(Marien @ Feb 7 2010, 08:02 AM) *
Free 100 mbit connection courtesy of the university FTW cool.gif

Likewise. thumbs_up.gif
Bjorn
^I have heard that University connections can be very choosey about what kind of things you use your connection for. Is that true for you guy?
Marien
The only incident I had was that I downloaded something from a public torrent site which was, apparently, tracked by the US copyright police. They send a mail to my ISP (ie the university) and they forwarded it to me. They warned me and said that if it happened again withing 3 moths they would disconnect me for a week. Which is probably the same a commercial ISP would do.
The problem was that I uploaded data which is illegal, downloading is not here in the Netherlands. From then, I'm a bit more careful with public torrents, but private downloads are no problem. Until last year the university even offered free Usenet access including all the alt.binaries groups.
Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 7 2010, 12:08 PM) *
^I have heard that University connections can be very choosey about what kind of things you use your connection for. Is that true for you guy?

My College doesn't close any ports or monitor what we do with our connections because of a past student outcry of net privacy. The one thing they do block, though, is the downloading of any file ending in .torrent, which makes it difficult or impossible to use some trackers but not others (for instance, Demonoid allows for the downloading of torrents as text files, too bad the site is shit though).
moe
The university connection at my university is a joke. Due to a sponsorship deal, they get their internet services for free, and they don't really care about the speed or quality of it. What would've been an amazing connection for a few people, is an amazingly slow connection for everyone that lives on campus. My roommate and I were so pissed off by it, that we paid for our own connection from one of the local ISPs, and things were great for about six months. Then it became insanely slow as well. The ISP did everything they possibly could, and finally figured out it was a cabling issue with the university's residence (our room in particular). We started talking to the tech guys here, and they said they'd either have it fixed or give us a new room. It's been nearly six months since they said that, and we annoy them about it at least once a week...we used to annoy them daily. In any case, the one year contract with the connection we were paying for has ended, and I graduate at the end of this term, so we've let it go. It isn't THAT slow, but it can be painful at times where everyone seems to get on at once...which does happen.

Interestingly, when I sit down and use the wireless in the library, not only is it much, much faster, but also none of the torrent sites are blocked. If I need to get any serious work done, I just head over there. It's like a minute walk anyway (tiny campus).
Easton
QUOTE(NorthPoint @ Feb 6 2010, 10:42 AM) *
Population Denstiy,

Japan = 337/km2

USA = 31/km2

Return on investment...

absolutely spot on..

anyone wanna see what the average speed is for Australians? I guarantee you it'll make your USA speeds look like Japan's.
Bjorn
^I feel bad or you Australians. You live in a democracy, yet your government wants to put you all behind your own green dam.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.