Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 35" or 47"Octobox
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
DonJuanMair
I am just about to order an Octobox, but what size, i dont have a studio, just will be using it on location. I have an alien bees B1600 and will be getting a B800 also soon
Nike SB'd
What are you going to be shooting? If you're shooting cars it's a waste of money.
DonJuanMair
oh this is for people....forgot to mention that
Travis Geny
Well, the usual logic is to go bigger. I bought a 33" octobox and it works great BUT is a bit big in tight spots. For outdoor stuff, the AB 22" beauty dish ROCKS. It won't blow over/act like a sail in the wind and has great light characteristics. On either option, I would get the grid attachments. Cost no option? Get them both or all three. If cost is an option.... get the 47" for better full body coverage... and the beauty dish. And actually for outdoor I use an Ebay smaller dish like 13" with a grid for a hair light. Very wind resistant.
DonJuanMair
thanks for the reply. I have the beauty dish...
someone mentioned the grid attachments earlier to me, what exactly do they do?
Seethegrim
This is all just from personal opinion & experience:

I really don't like octaboxes. Their light is *too* broad & I always have trouble controlling my light & shaping my subject with other lights. You can add a grid, which then focusses the light more in 1 direction, but still, it's far too broad for my liking. I always think that the light I get from an octabox is like someone standing at a huge window. Its nice, but flat.
Dragos
bigger the better. smile.gif) and more power smile.gif) i have a octo from elinchrom and it;s nice. I very angry that i can't use a grid to it. is very useful to control the spreading of light to unwanted places. I suggest to get the one with the most accessories like shapes and other things!
DonJuanMair
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Feb 5 2010, 02:52 AM) *
This is all just from personal opinion & experience:

I really don't like octaboxes. Their light is *too* broad & I always have trouble controlling my light & shaping my subject with other lights. You can add a grid, which then focusses the light more in 1 direction, but still, it's far too broad for my liking. I always think that the light I get from an octabox is like someone standing at a huge window. Its nice, but flat.

hmmm what else would you recommend? i have a beauty dish for one.....

QUOTE(Dragos @ Feb 5 2010, 06:18 AM) *
bigger the better. smile.gif) and more power smile.gif) i have a octo from elinchrom and it;s nice. I very angry that i can't use a grid to it. is very useful to control the spreading of light to unwanted places. I suggest to get the one with the most accessories like shapes and other things!

thats what i have been hearing smile.gif
Nate047
QUOTE(DonJuanMair @ Feb 4 2010, 09:04 PM) *
someone mentioned the grid attachments earlier to me, what exactly do they do?

a grid helps directionalize (is that a word?) your light so it tends to be more "spot" and less "flood."
DonJuanMair
ah cool thanks Nate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.