Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Light Painting - Pointers
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
Narsh
Here are all the shots that went into building the recent shot I posted of the 2010 Challenger SRT. Aside from the photoshop pieces which the comments you guys left proved extremely helpful, what else can I do to make this easier?

I used a Canon 50D with a Tamron 10-24mm, which was at 10mm the whole time. The light source is a 3 foot flourescent light tube I purchased at Home Depot.

Again, any critique or comments will definitely help.

Thanks guys!
Konrad Janicki
I think you could use the 2 shot to get some light in the front bumper side an I think it would be a good continuation of the light line on the side of the car
on the final image the bumper didnt have any light on de sida making it flat without any dimension
DonJuanMair
i see what hes saying..i agree also smile.gif
just make it a little more even and itd be more cohesive
Narsh
Yeah I see what you guys mean. The hardest part is keeping the light at the same angle, distance all the way through.

Thanks!
DonJuanMair
has anyone ever thought about attaching a light to somethng stable with wheels on and rolling it around a car?
AmuseGT1
QUOTE(DonJuanMair @ Feb 3 2010, 06:20 PM) *
has anyone ever thought about attaching a light to somethng stable with wheels on and rolling it around a car?

I attempted this once and found out that it's great for distributing light evenly but if you don't have a smooth and level surface to roll it along, it will give small waves in the light
NVphotoman
QUOTE(DonJuanMair @ Feb 3 2010, 05:20 PM) *

unless its on smooth ground... it doesnt look good.
KevinDiOssi
QUOTE(DonJuanMair @ Feb 3 2010, 08:20 PM) *

Hahaha, and my ideas were from mild to wild. I'm still thinking.

I think you did a grear job. the hardest thing is the damn windows!
Costas
anyone willing to try this out? it's rechargeable/cordless and pretty large, but pretty costly at the same time just for a trial run

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTOMOTIVE-...s#ht_1436wt_939
GFWilliams
QUOTE(Costas @ Mar 4 2010, 07:22 PM) *
anyone willing to try this out? it's rechargeable/cordless and pretty large, but pretty costly at the same time just for a trial run

looks like it has a terrible 'blue' white balance...
TW0R
QUOTE(NVphotoman @ Feb 6 2010, 08:24 PM) *
unless its on smooth ground... it doesnt look good.

Tripod out the back of a car? Ive done it for filming before. Or a pickup truck even! You would have to have a bit of room though.
Nate047
QUOTE(GFWilliams @ Mar 4 2010, 12:41 PM) *
looks like it has a terrible 'blue' white balance...

gel it...?
KevinDiOssi
QUOTE(Costas @ Mar 4 2010, 02:22 PM) *

I actually tried one before. LED's don't have enough power at that level to light a car and they leave it bluish, which can be corrected. But, more importantly, they leave steaks because of the LED spacing.
Dale.T
Hey Guys,

This is my first post, I've been on here for a while now and just learning and taking it all in. Here's a light painting technique i've been working with my lightbox and speedlights on my car. It takes a while to try and get smooth lines. I think a larger softbox might work better. The softbox does make nice clear reflections on the paint job. It's just my first attempt though as there are sections with no light. I wasn't really working on the backround or angle much. I really like the idea of that portable fluorescent light. Seems to make a better effect.
Anyway comments welcome...
GFWilliams
QUOTE(Dale.T @ Jun 8 2010, 08:21 AM) *
Hey Guys,

This is my first post, I've been on here for a while now and just learning and taking it all in. Here's a light painting technique i've been working with my lightbox and speedlights on my car. It takes a while to try and get smooth lines. I think a larger softbox might work better. The softbox does make nice clear reflections on the paint job. It's just my first attempt though as there are sections with no light. I wasn't really working on the backround or angle much. I really like the idea of that portable fluorescent light. Seems to make a better effect.
Anyway comments welcome...

I'm guessing that you took a shot, moved the softbox a little bit and repeated multiple times. If so, did it take you a very long time? I've thought about doing this, but always run out of time..

The fluorescent tubes seem to be the best way to do it..
Seethegrim
QUOTE(GFWilliams @ Jun 8 2010, 10:45 AM) *
I'm guessing that you took a shot, moved the softbox a little bit and repeated multiple times. If so, did it take you a very long time? I've thought about doing this, but always run out of time..

The fluorescent tubes seem to be the best way to do it..

Not neccesarily. The first time I tried light painting, I didn't even thing that far... I thought about how I can do this with raw photography skills. So I did it with 1 single exposure & popped the flash multiple times in the softbox. It wasn't perfect, but it worked... and very little PS work...
GFWilliams
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Jun 8 2010, 10:12 AM) *
Not neccesarily. The first time I tried light painting, I didn't even thing that far... I thought about how I can do this with raw photography skills. So I did it with 1 single exposure & popped the flash multiple times in the softbox. It wasn't perfect, but it worked... and very little PS work...

hmmm. Interesting. Now obviously you have less control doing it that way, but a fair bit of time could be saved by combining a few sections as opposed to combining every flash exposure like I would normally do..
Dale.T
Yeah i have a remote in my hand to trigger the camera but instead of just doing a small part i was shooting at around 15" exposure time so you can do almost the whole side of the car and the front in that one exposure. The roof and wheels in another. It's basically technique walking around with the softbox. I have 3x580's on PW's as well but on black there not very effective on light stands. I've noticed it's just getting the angle right from the camera to the paint work to the softbox. Time wise, i'm sure there is a better option. Maybe even large strip softboxes will work but then you might as well get into a studio.

Well no bad comments so far, must look half decent..
Blue Devil
it's a bit on the soft side (focus) i would have liked to see the car sharper..

the white balance on the background bothers me...

other wise you are onto something here. smile.gif
TimeAtk
Question, that flourescent light tube from hope depot... how do you power it?
Mr Cory
I use my car, i have a convertor for my cig lighter which my light source plugs into
The Unibomber
Man I am still not really grasping this technique. Anyone know of a video tutorial or something? My friend has a black Lamborghini I have been trying to shoot properly for some time now and this seems like it would help. Thanks in advance!
TimeAtk
Heres my latest light painted shot

l!zerd
im trying to find a long portable flourescent tube to use but the longest i can find is 12"

anyone know of a place to get a longer tube?

the 3ft tube ur using, is it a straight up tube that u wired to a power source, or is it actually come in a safe housing that allows u to handle it easily?

can u take a picture of it?
Konrad Janicki
TimeAtk - it looks like you need to keep the light on the same hight to get a strait line on the side becouse now its like a mess
TimeAtk
Im not sure I want a straight line?
Daz
QUOTE(TimeAtk @ Sep 8 2010, 11:38 PM) *
Im not sure I want a straight line?

Think what he means is that you keep the light straight so that it the highlights the contours of the car. Your shot has the light at 2 different heights so doesn't show the contours of the car the way they really look.

I think thats what he means anyway. Nice shot though.
Blue Devil
TimeAtk,

some things that bother me about that nissan shot.

1. you have it on all black background... why is it reflecting a building/wall on the door?
2. if you are going to do all black background try to create a better separation of the black car... there are some areas that the car just fades into black and you can't really see the shape of the car. Think rim light.
3. try to visualise where the light is going to reflect so you can have a better understanding of how it is playing with the lines of the car.
Evolize Photography
Here is my first attempt at it. Used the modeling lamp of a 200watt strobe and a 8" beauty dish.
M-B
Is it possible to use this technique on white cars?
Has anyone tried this?
Seethegrim
QUOTE(M-B @ Sep 13 2010, 07:42 AM) *
Is it possible to use this technique on white cars?
Has anyone tried this?

See the other thread on light painting. I posted some samples -which include a white bmw.
M-B
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Sep 13 2010, 01:31 PM) *
See the other thread on light painting. I posted some samples -which include a white bmw.

Thank for this info.
I found the thread.
It looks good, but not so good like on black cars.
Blue Devil
Not my best work but here it is on white cars. I think the effect looks better in dark colored cars but if done correctly in white can look good too.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/362156...546ae3b18_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3449/390427...d1c22e5f7_z.jpg
Seethegrim
I kinda like the pure even lighting you can get from light painting + white/light car. Sure as hell beats hot spots everywhere & blown highlights.
trackdemon
How bright a light source are you guys using? I'm looking at 10m Candle Power torch - enough for black?
Carter N
makita shoplight

Mr Cory
Not a white car, actually orange but you get the idea, unless the car is under exposed you lose the highlights.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.