Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: iPad
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Bjorn
Did anyone here follow the press conference this afternoon where the iPad was revealed?

I'm still kinda trying to process the thing, but my impression right now is that I'm kinda disappointed. Probably because after all the hyping Apple did, calling it "magical" and "revolutionary" I was expecting a little more than what is basically a large iPod touch with optional 3G service.

My major disappointment was the lack of a camera of any kind, let alone a front-facing one. I think this product represents a natural tool for video chat, and could have set itself further apart from the crowd by including one.

I was also expecting something a little more inventive than a scaled up iPhone virtual keyboard. Typing in your lap or on a desk is fine, but writing anything on the iPad outside of these situations would be a PITA. Can you imagine trying to send an email on the bus?

And the name. Holy fuck, I know it's a cliche, but iPad sounds like something a girl caries in her purse.

Who wants stuff in 4:3?

Finally, this isn't really a tool for professionals, which is kinda an oversight in my opinion. As a writer I need programs like MS Word and Adobe InCopy, and would buy one of these if I could have those programs. But since it only runs apps . . .

Pros? The price is amazing, and the $29.99 unlimited 3G without a contract is stunning. I also think this is a boon for newspapers, if they can work something out with iBook or iTunes to charge a small subscription fee.

Your thoughts?
Razor
Apple sucks and this thing is a [avgn]shitload of fuck[/avgn]. It's JUST a big iPod. It is NOT a computer. The browser doesn't even have Flash support for fuck's sake.

That being said, if Apple releases those Intel Quad-Core i5 Macbook Pros sooner rather than later I might just forgive them a little for this shit.
BlackJack
QUOTE(Razor @ Jan 27 2010, 07:02 PM) *
Apple sucks and this thing is a [avgn]shitload of fuck[/avgn]. It's JUST a big iPod. It is NOT a computer. The browser doesn't even have Flash support for fuck's sake.

That being said, if Apple releases those Intel Quad-Core i5 Macbook Pros sooner rather than later I might just forgive them a little for this shit.

Unfortunately, I see a huge sales profit from this. Unlike us, most people will buy it because they think it's a computer.
Razor
QUOTE(BlackJack @ Jan 27 2010, 08:41 PM) *
Unfortunately, I see a huge sales profit from this. Unlike us, most people will buy it because they think it's a computer.

The same people who bought the iPhone because it's a smartphone, I'm assuming? tongue.gif
BlackJack
You read my mind.
Flaw
NEWSFLASH: Apple doesn't give a shit about what you think makes a good computer. They know what people want, and they're worried about their profits (which...are apparently through the roof this year) and this will only help those profits. Once iSuppli tears one of these apart and estimates the total cost, my guess is even at the $499 price-point, they'll be making a comfortable $100 of profit (although that IPS panel has to be expensive). That's the difference between something like an iPad and a PS3...Sony goes all out and hopes that the games subsidize the hardware, whereas Apple makes a profit on all their hardware (I'm not comparing the iPad to a PS3, just Apple to Sony). The AT&T subscriptions and 3G services, iBooks, Apps and iTunes are just added profits.

Regarding a lot of the complaints about not running what a netbook can run, they showed off quite a few apps for painting and word processing and powerpoints, etc. so it's not exactly a dud in that department. In any case, that end of things is on the developers now, I can't really blame Apple for the iPad not running Photoshop.

All I'm saying is I hope someone in my family gets one and I can hack the shit out of it...
Vadvagool
At first glance. I wanted one badly.

The I looked at (the lack of) features. Now its just a fancy iPod. Doesn't even have phone capabilities like the iPhone.
Bjorn
^it does have a mic and speakers, and Apple did just approve VIOP programs at the app store. So with Google voice it could be like a cell phone.

With 3G and sim card integration, would I be right in saying that this is just a software update away from having phone capabilities?
TW0R
LOL at the poll. Should be interesting to see how these sell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.