Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F1 2010 Rules Updated
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
tune
Okay firstly the new points scoring system has been revised again.

Just more than one month after the old 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 system was replaced with a MotoGP-type format (25-20-15-10-8-6-5-3-2-1), sources have revealed a meeting of F1 think tank the Sporting Working Group in London on Friday approved a further overhaul to reward more for race wins.

Rather than there being a five points different between first and second, teams agreed to expand that difference to seven points - with further tweaks to the points taking place lower down the order.

The new points structure approved by the SWG is: 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1.

AUTOSPORT understands that the SWG also discussed the idea of awarding points for pole position or fastest lap, but neither of these concepts were agreed.

The SWG also talked at length about the possibility of introducing a rule that would force drivers to make two mandatory pit stops during a race, but this was not approved either. F1 drivers will therefore only need to make a single pit-stop in 2010 so as to ensure that they run on both types of tyres made available.

And also there's a new qualifying based tyre rule for 2010, which I wasn't aware they were thinking about and I'm not sure if I like it at all.

Formula 1 teams have agreed to introduce an extra strategic element to races this season by forcing leading drivers to start races on the same tyres that they qualified on.

With the ban on refuelling for 2010 already forcing a big change in tactics compared to how grands prix have run in recent years, the new rule looks set to have an impact on how teams approach qualifying as well.

Although the tweak has not yet been committed to the regulations, sources have revealed that last week's meeting of the Sporting Working Group agreed to the change as a way of improving the show.

It is understood that the majority of teams present voted in favour of a rule that will require the top 10 cars that make it through to the final session of qualifying to start the race on the same tyres that they set their fastest Q3 time on.

This will open up the possibility of teams gambling on sacrificing the best possible time in Q3 by running a more consistent but less quick tyre so as to have a better chance in the race. Alternatively, teams may choose a tyre that is better over a single lap to secure a good grid position, even if it runs the risk of compromising race performance.

The teams hope that the rule tweak will serve to mix up the tactics throughout the grid and therefore lead to more exciting races.
Dr. Strangelove
I'm glad about the points system, though I'm not sure if it's enough to make a difference in driver's attitudes about pushing vs playing it safe.

Th other one sounds interesting. We'll see what effect it has on the racing.
Bjorn
I think that when you introduce rules that compromise tire integrity (this, the rule about only having x number of compounds available . . . ) you make things unsafe, because you force teams to gamble safety for grid position.
tune
Not really, they all know the boundaries in which the tyres can operate. If they want to try and extend a stint on a softer tyre then that's their own risk. It's grid position vs. lengthier stint with this.
skr
Aren't they banning wheel fairings too?
tune
Yes.
Phix
bleh, I hate the tire rule. It's stupid. Just as you think we can get some "purity" in regards to qualifying in the form of low fuel, fresh tires etc. etc. they throw this in.

It's just as bad as the 2-compound rule for the races. Frankly, with no refueling, they should introduce a super-hard endurance tire. Run the entire race without a single pit stop. Give teams that option if they want to go with it. Maybe even let a team run on a super grippy yet high degradation tire? If they want to make 8 pit stops in a race then let them! All these rules and regulations only force people into corners rather than "opening their minds and letting them innovate."

The FIA is obsessed with regulating all the technical specifications of the car down to the smallest detail then demand that engineers be innovative. Yeah, sure.

Now, they're basically pigeonholing the strategist by cutting off interesting strategies and tactical opportunites. And people wonder why there's no real overtaking? If they so desperately want some 60 or 700 meaningless overtaking manuvers then they're watching the wrong sport. It's very much a game of strategy as it is a driver's ability for offensive and defensive manuvers.

And all they do is blame the cars. They need to loosen up the regulations desperately before anything else.
tune
I guess having very strict rules could push innovation in some ways, sort like pushing the boundaries of the rules with a doubel diffuser design last year. But I get what you mean that there's not much room for error/free-thinking.

I'm not a fan of this tyre rule either. I'm assuming that they have to start the race on the tyre they set their quickest lap with, as sometimes you get situations where they use both typs of tyre in the top 10 shoot-out.
Phix
QUOTE(tune @ Feb 5 2010, 08:27 AM) *
I guess having very strict rules could push innovation in some ways, sort like pushing the boundaries of the rules with a doubel diffuser design last year. But I get what you mean that there's not much room for error/free-thinking.

I'm not a fan of this tyre rule either. I'm assuming that they have to start the race on the tyre they set their quickest lap with, as sometimes you get situations where they use both typs of tyre in the top 10 shoot-out.

Yeah, then you end up wasting 4 months arguing about one person's intrepretation of the rules over the other guys instead of say going "Ahhh! Wow! Interesting, clever idea..." instead it's "Call the lawyer... no, wait... call ALL of them."

It's pretty ridiculous.
clarkma5
The current technical regs are born out of a desire to have the drivers be the deciding factor in who's fastest and not the cars, which would be the case if they opened up the regs more. But for a series that's all about manufacturers and innovation, it does look too much like a spec series...

I dunno how best to fix it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.