Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mass Effect 2
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Pages: 1, 2
moe
I've been playing for the last hour. Epic. One copy, delivered specifically for me...it's good to have the right friends.
Bjorn
Mine is in my bag. Probably won't get to play it till the weekend though.
Cyclone
I want to buy it but I'm trying to complete my 3rd play through of Mass Effect 1 first. That's right, I said my 3rd play through. smile.gif
Razor
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Jan 27 2010, 10:15 AM) *
I want to buy it but I'm trying to complete my 3rd play through of Mass Effect 1 first. That's right, I said my 3rd play through. smile.gif

I'm on my third as well. I finally did a Biotic character.
Halflifehavock13
Got it yesterday. Commenced to play it until 2am (had to wake up today at 5am). Feels Good, Man.
moe
I've been playing pretty much all day. It's now 1:30am and I've stopped to study for a quiz I have tomorrow morning...it's just so fucking good.
bankE46
i just got it and i havent even taken it out of the plastic yet. its so fucking good, omg omg, fuuuuuuuck i came.
DB9
It really is amazing how much they improved. Everything is just so much smoother and cleaner than #1. Seriously amazing. Vanguard's are sick!
Bjorn
I'm getting used to the new controls still. I'm kinda sloppy in combat ATM. I have adopted a 'spray and pray' approach thus far, but I'm getting better.

I don't know how I feel about the developers making the game more FPSish. Right now I kinda miss the old balance of FPS and RPG, but it's growing on me.

I had to restart the game though. I played around with Shepard's appearance and was really weirded out by the character I made. After I got off the station I restarted and blazed through the first "level" with the original Shepard, and it's all good.

I'm enjoying the darkness of the story, and the mystery. I also like using the left and right triggers to do good or bad things. It really makes the act of making split second decisions with big implications more realistic, IMHO.
b0mb3r
damn sounds like I am going to need this game after I beat borderlands
moe
Hah, I stopped playing Borderlands, and started playing ME2 the second I got home with it. I just finished it about fifteen minutes back. Awesome.

EDIT: I imported my ME1 character. I'm going to give it another go starting fresh.
Bjorn
I just inserted the second disc.

I made the mistake with ME1 of kinda ignoring the side quests, thinking that if I didn't concentrate on the main plot, that I would run out of time. With ME2 I'm doing everything I can before moving along with the main story.

So far I'm pretty impressed, the story is an order of magnitude more complex than in ME1, and I think I have gotten used to the FPS aspects.
DB9
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jan 30 2010, 12:31 PM) *
I just inserted the second disc.

I made the mistake with ME1 of kinda ignoring the side quests, thinking that if I didn't concentrate on the main plot, that I would run out of time. With ME2 I'm doing everything I can before moving along with the main story.

So far I'm pretty impressed, the story is an order of magnitude more complex than in ME1, and I think I have gotten used to the FPS aspects.

hahah I've got some catching up to do. I feel like I've still only scratched the surface. I only have the archangel and the scientist now. I'm doing the same thing as you, though. I'm getting all the sidequests done as well. And I'm one of those guys that actually reads a lot of the codex entries. I just think it makes the experience more interesting and grabbing.
Bjorn
^one complaint I do have is that the text is too small. I have a 37" LCD and sitting on my couch, I can barely read the codex.

Also, those that have inserted the second disc will know what I'm talking about, but geeze, you do one favor, and everyone wants a piece of ya.
moe
If you're referring to the personal missions, I enjoyed those. I eventually got bored of the side missions (not loyalty missions), and gave up on them...that was late in the game though. One thing I hated was scanning planets...it was so incredibly tedious.
DB9
Yea scanning planets is pretty bad. But I managed to have huge reserves of everything except element zero. So now I just do a quick one over to see if theres element zero or not.
Bjorn
I don't mind the planet scanning. Much better than driving across the whole frickin planet.

I didn't realize that the personal missions helped with loyalty. Interesting.
moe
Whether a crew member is loyal or not to you can have a huge effect on the game later. Same with whether you choose to go with their recommended upgrades or not. I finished the game with all my crew loyal, my roommate did it without...there was a slight difference, which will definitely carry over to ME3...

Also, being the addict that I am, I discovered ME3 is scheduled for release next year...awesome. I won't have to wait nearly three years to see what happens next.
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(moe @ Jan 31 2010, 02:52 PM) *
Also, being the addict that I am, I discovered ME3 is scheduled for release next year...awesome. I won't have to wait nearly three years to see what happens next.

I'm almost done with the game, only having to do the last mission. And, after playing through it, all I can say is I cannot wait for mass effect 3. When it comes out, I'll have to make a few more characters and play through the trilogy all over again, just to do things differently.
Bjorn
I'm hoping that there is lots more to do in the game. I finished ME1 too quickly, which I have found happens with a lot of 360 games. I likes me a Halflife 2 style game, which has an awesome story that keeps on going and going and going.

At least ME3 is on it's way soon.

Speaking of Halflife 2, has anyone heard anything about episode 3?
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jan 31 2010, 05:17 PM) *
I'm hoping that there is lots more to do in the game. I finished ME1 too quickly, which I have found happens with a lot of 360 games. I likes me a Halflife 2 style game, which has an awesome story that keeps on going and going and going.

At least ME3 is on it's way soon.

Speaking of Halflife 2, has anyone heard anything about episode 3?

I heard a week or two ago about Game Informer saying its not going to come out in 2010 at all, and that there might not even be an episode 3 at all, leaving valve with just going straight to half life 3.

Gamespot

Of course, this is pretty baseless and hasn't been confirmed by Valve at all.

I remember valve saying that left 4 dead 2 was the reason no episode 3 info was given out last E3. In my opinion, we will definetly hear something in the next several months because AFAIK valve doesn't have any other major projects going on that would interrupt episode 3 development. At the latest, we will hear something at this year's E3 this summer about A) Episode 3 or cool.gif Some new game/sequel they have in the cooker.
b0mb3r
Just started playing ME2, but I have not played ME1. I kind of wish shooting scenes were like borderlands... after playing borderlands ME2 feels clunky.
bankE46
most FPS games feel like they're missing something after you've been playing borderlands tongue.gif
Phix
Played and finished ME2 a few days ago. It's certainly more 'Deus Ex in Space' than a continuation of the traditional RPG-ness of ME1... which is no bad thing since Deus Ex is pretty awesome. Definitely not a bad but with the new cover system it also makes it feel a lot like Gears of War in a way. Oh well. Just some minor gripes about the story...

MAJOR SPOILERS

Mass Effect had a sense of you taking on a much larger foe threatening EVERYONE in the galaxy in the foe of the Geth... until you found out an even BIGGER enemy in the form of the Reapers is behind them. In ME2, it feels a lot more isolated and the Collectors are barely touched on except for that revelation they're mutated Protheans. And then you had Harbinger, which from what I understood in the epilogue was in fact a Reaper controlling that Collector-Commander but its barely touched on.

The vast majority of your time on the main plotwise was you basically fixing your team member's fucked up family history. Don't get me wrong these segments were awesome and extremely well written but I wasn't expecting 80% of the main plot to be focused on them instead.

Besides that the last "boss", that human-shaped Reaper, was like something out of an SNES game. Shoot the glowing eyes! ZOMG!

Guess they're just holding on to most of the story elements for the finale.

Besides the story stuff I do miss the inventory system. They had the chance of fixing it and getting rid of all the vendor trash items but instead they just chucked it all out and just gave you 2 to 3 different weapons for each weapon class and something like 2 or 3 pieces of armor per segment. Bleh.

Great game but I liked the first one more.

QUOTE(BankieVR6 @ Feb 2 2010, 09:11 AM) *
most FPS games feel like they're missing something after you've been playing borderlands tongue.gif

Like what? The extreme monotony in the environments until the very end? The same bandits, dogs, and insectoid mobs for the entire 40 to 60+ hour game? The WoW-esque 'Kill 7 x at y' quests? The shitload of nothing but vendor trash? The gun which you might find at the beginning of the level lasting until the very end? An end boss where you literally stand in one spot to beat? Make that two bosses. Actually three. I forgot about the gigantic flying one. The broken loot table? The enemies that just rush you or stand still?

Seems like the excess bullshit FPS games shed just ended up in Borderlands.
Halflifehavock13
ME2 question: Who did you plow?

I'm sticking with Liara. I was originally going to do Miranda, but people talking on the ME2 boards about ME3 ramifications got me worried, since I romanced Liara in the first one.
Phix
QUOTE(Halflifehavock13 @ Feb 4 2010, 06:47 PM) *

I'm sticking with Liara. I was originally going to do Miranda, but people talking on the ME2 boards about ME3 ramifications got me worried, since I romanced Liara in the first one.

Liara isn't a party member but she's in the game. She's unplowable.
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(Phix @ Feb 4 2010, 07:10 PM) *
Liara isn't a party member but she's in the game. She's unplowable.

Yeah, at the moment. I'm 99% sure she and ashley are going to be re-plowable in ME3. What I said was that I did her in the first one and chose not to fuck around with anyone else in the second one.
b0mb3r
i may be alone here but I am starting to find Mass Effect boring... the combat system sucks...I thought I liked RPG games; I enjoyed fallout 3 immensely; I beat all the add-ons and the game twice. This game is just blah. The story looks intereresting but i can't get over the clunky combat and I thought fallout 3 was bad. Am I alone here?
Razor
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Feb 4 2010, 11:14 PM) *
i may be alone here but I am starting to find Mass Effect boring... the combat system sucks...I thought I liked RPG games; I enjoyed fallout 3 immensely; I beat all the add-ons and the game twice. This game is just blah. The story looks intereresting but i can't get over the clunky combat and I thought fallout 3 was bad. Am I alone here?

Enjoyed Fallout 3 but thought was bad? Are you as drunk as I am?
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(Razor @ Feb 4 2010, 11:17 PM) *
Enjoyed Fallout 3 but thought was bad? Are you as drunk as I am?

I'm drinking and still found both fallout 3 and me2 great.
Razor
QUOTE(Halflifehavock13 @ Feb 4 2010, 11:32 PM) *
I'm drinking and still found both fallout 3 and me2 great.

Fallout 3 was great sober... I''ll bpick up ME2 in June when I actially have access to my xbox again
Bjorn
So you don't get a chance to bang ashley?

I've been foolin around with Miranda, always worried that as soon as I hooked up with her, ashley would show up and get all mad again.

I think I'll hedge my bets and hope for a ME3-way.

BTW, something I've been wondering. If you play as a girl, you can Lez out. As a guy, can you try to bang male NPCs?
Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 4 2010, 11:59 PM) *
BTW, something I've been wondering. If you play as a girl, you can Lez out. As a guy, can you try to bang male NPCs?

In this modern anthropologic society? You MUST be fucking joking, comrade. tongue.gif
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 4 2010, 11:59 PM) *
So you don't get a chance to bang ashley?

I've been foolin around with Miranda, always worried that as soon as I hooked up with her, ashley would show up and get all mad again.

I think I'll hedge my bets and hope for a ME3-way.

You can scissor with kelly.

..and yes, you can do male npcs.

....including Garrus.
Seethegrim
Getting this on the 19th! Can't wait! Then I'll be able to contribute.
bankE46
QUOTE(Halflifehavock13 @ Feb 5 2010, 12:42 AM) *
You can scissor with kelly.
..and yes, you can do male npcs.
....including Garrus.

*facepalm at work*

b0mb3r
damn bad english smile.gif

i was comparing combat system... I wish you could blend ME2 with BorderLands smile.gif
porsche944
Wait if you "Plow" girls in real life, don't you worry that the girls in the game might get jealous?! What reprecussions could that have in ME3?
Dr. Strangelove
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Feb 5 2010, 10:57 AM) *
Wait if you "Plow" girls in real life, don't you worry that the girls in the game might get jealous?! What reprecussions could that have in ME3?

This made me lol.
Razor
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Feb 5 2010, 01:57 PM) *

haha holy shit, this wins.
moe
QUOTE(Phix @ Feb 5 2010, 02:40 AM) *
MAJOR SPOILERS

Mass Effect had a sense of you taking on a much larger foe threatening EVERYONE in the galaxy in the foe of the Geth... until you found out an even BIGGER enemy in the form of the Reapers is behind them. In ME2, it feels a lot more isolated and the Collectors are barely touched on except for that revelation they're mutated Protheans. And then you had Harbinger, which from what I understood in the epilogue was in fact a Reaper controlling that Collector-Commander but its barely touched on.

The vast majority of your time on the main plotwise was you basically fixing your team member's fucked up family history. Don't get me wrong these segments were awesome and extremely well written but I wasn't expecting 80% of the main plot to be focused on them instead.

Besides that the last "boss", that human-shaped Reaper, was like something out of an SNES game. Shoot the glowing eyes! ZOMG!

Guess they're just holding on to most of the story elements for the finale.

The first one was designed to be independent, so it gave you all of its plot. The second one was designed with a third one in mind already, so I'm guessing they held out on all the best parts of the story for 3.

The end boss was honestly the corniest thing ever. It looked like a straight rip from terminator, the concept was just retarded (oh it's made of humans, so it looks like a human), and I agree with you 100%.

QUOTE(Halflifehavock13 @ Feb 5 2010, 03:47 AM) *

I did Liara in the first game, but definitely had to choose Miranda for 2...she's absolutely smoking. I was curious about Tali though, being the dork that I am, I figured maybe she'd take of her helmet, and you'd find out she was even hotter...decided against it though.
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Feb 5 2010, 01:57 PM) *

Yeah, this could have serious impacts on my achievement score!
b0mb3r
so I finally figured out what bothers me about ME2... they have all technology in the world. but... they can't fucking jump... story is starting to get interesting at least. And this whole plowing aspect, how do you guys do that?
porsche944
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Feb 9 2010, 02:34 AM) *
And this whole plowing aspect, how do you guys do that?

get her drunk and insert
b0mb3r
same as in real life? DS_Naughty2.gif
moe
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Feb 9 2010, 04:37 PM) *
same as in real life? DS_Naughty2.gif

No the politically correct version. You make lots of conversation with the girl you want to plow. Say the right things, and they're yours...or they will be once you get to the right point of the game.
b0mb3r
lol I been trying to play as paragon...
moe
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Feb 9 2010, 06:28 PM) *
lol I been trying to play as paragon...

Yeah, that should work (it's what I did). Now just choose the girl you want, and make sure you go down to her room and talk to her every time you come back aboard the Normandy.
b0mb3r
thanks for tip! I will do that from now on smile.gif
Bjorn
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 5 2010, 04:09 PM) *
The first one was designed to be independent, so it gave you all of its plot. The second one was designed with a third one in mind already, so I'm guessing they held out on all the best parts of the story for 3.

The end boss was honestly the corniest thing ever. It looked like a straight rip from terminator, the concept was just retarded (oh it's made of humans, so it looks like a human), and I agree with you 100%.

I dunno, maybe it's because I didn't play much nintendo as a kid, but I didn't mind the human shaped reaper. I kinda wish they offered more explanation as to why a human shaped reaper would be an advantage. Does that mean that the current reapers are prothian shaped?

Maybe it's because I was only playing on medium, or maybe it was because I waited to do a lot of the collector related stuff till I had a full squad and lots of upgrades, but I was kinda disappointed by how easy the game was to beat. Although I have felt that way about a lot of 360 games, like if you just stay on this narrow path, you'll beat it eventually.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.