Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2010 Formula 1 Cars
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
Pages: 1, 2
Dr. Strangelove
Here is a pic of the F60 in the new Ferrari livery:

Thoughts?
I kind of liked the old Marlborough bars, but this looks... alright. A little less Ferrari looking if you ask me.
Marien
It is a lot more white than the years before. Probably will take some time to get used to.
infinity
I hate the stupid wheel vent/cover things. I know they're pretty standard/common these days, but they detract from the overall image of the cars so much sad.gif
Dr. Strangelove
QUOTE(infinity @ Jan 21 2010, 01:25 PM) *
I hate the stupid wheel vent/cover things. I know they're pretty standard/common these days, but they detract from the overall image of the cars so much sad.gif

From Formula1.com. RE: 2010 rule changes:
Teams are no longer allowed to use the wheel rim covers that became so commonplace in 2009. Their removal means one less thing to go wrong when pit crews are trying to change of set of tyres in less than four seconds, and could also aid overtaking by making the airflow immediately behind cars less turbulent.
infinity
Hooray!

Sorry if that was common knowledge. I'm not up on my F1 these days, unfortunately.
tune
Some pictures from the Mercedes GP launch. Hopefully there'll be some official photos soon, these are a bit poor.

moe

ESPNF1
Dr. Strangelove
I like the really subtle green accents.
Marien
Note that this not yet the new car, only the new livery on the old car.
clarkma5
Ferrari unveils the F10, the first of the 2010 cars to officially break cover: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81089

And while we're at it, a spy shot of the Williams FW32: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81104

McLaren launches the MP4-25 tomorrow!
tune
Macca pics here: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/01/29/mcla...aunch-pictures/
Marien
That shark fin is huge, it extends all the way to the rear wing.
Bjorn
^In one of the pictures it looks like the fin actually integrates with the wing.

Very strange.
Dr. Strangelove
Deepest, bluest, my hat is like a shark's fin!
Marien
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jan 29 2010, 05:09 PM) *
^In one of the pictures it looks like the fin actually integrates with the wing.

Very strange.

Yeah, I think it does.
clarkma5
I don't think it integrates, I think it's a separate element that just comes very close to the wing and conforms to its shape.
bobo27
Sauber C29

Petrov joins Kubica as Renault reveals R30

Renault R30

Shark fin galore!
Bjorn
The Sauber and Renault look stunning.

I wonder if the "Shark fin" will be this year's "double diffuser."
Uwe
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jan 31 2010, 11:12 PM) *
I wonder if the "Shark fin" will be this year's "double diffuser."

I hope they get rid of them. They look ugly.
clarkma5
I don't really see how the shark fin could help produce a significant increase in downforce like the double diffusers did.

And I like the way the shark fins look...
moe
I like the old-school paintjob on the Renaults. Sauber looks like it's in desperate need of sponsors.
bobo27
no shark fin for team Germany!
so mr. double diffuser himself is saying the shark fin will not be this years double diffuser? or will it. I love F1, cant wait...

toro roso
Marien
Shark fins do not help in creating down force, but help for mid corner stability IIRC.

I like the Mercedes with its sharp angled nose and the razor sharp minimalistic fin.
tune
Well Renault ran a shark fin last year so I doubt it'll be this year's double diffuser.

Bjorn
I know that shark fins are nothing new, but they have become very extreme this year, maybe not so much in Renault's case . . .
Dr. Strangelove
The guys at McLaren said they chose to go that way because of the packaging of the fuel tank. And it does integrate with the wing.
moe

Virgin Racing's VR01.
Dr. Strangelove
The Ferrari looks particularly strong right now. They topped all three testing sessions with both drivers. I think Alonso especially is going to be a force this year.

Schumi said he doesn't expect to be fighting for the win for a few races. Translation: We have a lot of work to do. Schumi also said he is adjusting to F1 life faster then he expected, but then again, he would say that.

The new BMW Sauber (Are they keeping that name or what?) looks actually alright right now. For Kubica's sake I hope they're just running light.

Hamilton likes the new MP4-25, though his pace is a little down for how excited he seems to be. It's so hard to figure out true pace from practice though, doubly so because the fuel loads are crazy this year. If McLaren can pull a race winner out of the MP4-24, then I'm sure they will do well this year.

36 days till Practice 1 and still no sign of an actual car from USF1. I'm trying to decide if I would rather them not make it than make a huge joke out of themselves. Meanwhile, Stefan GP has a car , and drivers confirmed and are getting ready to test, in spite of not having a spot on the grid.
SwissWhiskey
Old School De la Rosa is pushing some nice times. Kinda happy our Swiss team is edging close behind Ferrari, though these are only tests. Lack of sponsors? Switzerland is the land of anonymous sponsors. Peter Sauber is a legend here, and he's got many rich supporters. Can they get 2008 season results... who knows...

I am glad Ferrari is back on top again and Massa really deserves part of the cake this year.

Schumi, we'll see, but its also about the team, and Ross and Schumi have the most experience.

I hope in this season we will actually see some nice one on one battles, though I have a feeling it might be another strategy game...
moe
Sauber has been impressive, it's always good to see an underdog team doing well. Hadn't BMW started developing the 2010 car halfway through the season though? That could explain why they're so quick.

I think it'll be Ferrari vs McLaren vs Mercedes this season, perhaps Sauber (I hope so) will jump in on the fun. Not sure about any of the other teams though.
bobo27
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 3 2010, 11:04 AM) *
I think it'll be Ferrari vs McLaren vs Mercedes this season

I have a gut feeling of those (we assume top 3 contenders) one will stumble early on and sputter later on, much like McLaren last year, just not sure which one.
tune
I think Ferrari will be the team to beat, but I hope it's Mercedes!

Sauber could be on a sponsorship run, but then everyone said that about Brawn last year, when it was just pure pace.

The Virgin car makes me think of IRL.
Dr. Strangelove
And Alonso insisted he is already feeling at home at Ferrari, saying he is enjoying the special atmosphere at the team.

"Yeah, I had time from day one at Ferrari. As I repeat many times, it's unbelievable the feeling here, the atmosphere, the passion of everybody. It's very nice to be in the garage, to speak Italian with all the mechanics.

"We have a kind of send of humour very similar to Spain so I felt very, very good so far. I keep enjoying life."

This, I think is the real strength here. I don't doubt that if Alonso doesn't take a championship at Ferrari this year, he will get at least one before he leaves the team.
Dr. Strangelove
Ha ha ha, check out the tramp stamp on the Virgin wing:

Marien
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Feb 3 2010, 05:26 PM) *
The new BMW Sauber (Are they keeping that name or what?)

They will retain the BMW name for now. It has to do with TV and championship earnings from the last few years. Changing the name would changes those things somehow.

QUOTE(tune @ Feb 3 2010, 10:42 PM) *
The Virgin car makes me think of IRL.

Good call, I thought it looked familiar, especially the pointy nose and maybe the color scheme. I'm very curious how the Virgin car will perform in the second pre season tests. how it will compare to the established teams.
clarkma5
Jesus Dr. Strangelove, could your Ferrari/Alonso boner get any bigger? They are quick though...

I'm picking up a fair deal of duck-like behavior from Mercedes and McLaren...ya know, calm on the surface, paddling like mad underneath. Though it is just the first test, and basically every team's going to have a major upgrade package by Bahrain, so the ability of a team to come up with a good upgrade is gonna be half the battle when it comes to early championship form anyway.

I would love to see Sauber win the title from the ashes of BMW in the season after Brawn won the title from the ashes of Honda...that would be like the ultimate signal that we're back in the era of the independents. Of course, far too early to predict, but I love rooting for the underdog.

Also, people seem to have forgotten about Red Bull. There's a good chance they will be quite strong. I don't think that just because USF1 hasn't shown up yet doesn't mean they're likely to be a joke...Red Bull hasn't shown a car yet, Lotus has only shown a aerodynamic model, etc. etc. etc.
Phix
Nick Wirth confirmed that the front wings and sidepods on the VR-01 will be significantly different than the ones that they implement at Bahrain... in case anyone was curious as to why the front wing in particular looks so incredibly underdeveloped. Like something from the early '90s.

I'm curious how a car that supposedly didn't spend even one second in a windtunnel is going to perform. Wirth's been acting pretty arrogant and jerking off CFD every chance he gets. Guess we'll see come Q1. Even his successful Acura LMP1 car spent a few days in the windtunnel for fine tuning.
Phix
QUOTE(Marien @ Feb 1 2010, 05:06 AM) *
Shark fins do not help in creating down force, but help for mid corner stability IIRC.

I like the Mercedes with its sharp angled nose and the razor sharp minimalistic fin.

Yeah, you're right. It also helps in high-speed straight line stability, and airflow efficiency in the rear of the car.
moe
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 4 2010, 07:06 AM) *
I would love to see Sauber win the title from the ashes of BMW in the season after Brawn won the title from the ashes of Honda...that would be like the ultimate signal that we're back in the era of the independents. Of course, far too early to predict, but I love rooting for the underdog.

Also, people seem to have forgotten about Red Bull. There's a good chance they will be quite strong. I don't think that just because USF1 hasn't shown up yet doesn't mean they're likely to be a joke...Red Bull hasn't shown a car yet, Lotus has only shown a aerodynamic model, etc. etc. etc.

If Sauber won the title, it would be epic, but it's way, way to early to say. I'm with you on rooting for the underdog Clark.

And you're right about RBR, I totally forgot about them since their team has been the model of stability throughout the crazy past few months. They will definitely be a force to be reckoned with.
Phix
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 4 2010, 03:32 AM) *
If Sauber won the title, it would be epic, but it's way, way to early to say. I'm with you on rooting for the underdog Clark.

And you're right about RBR, I totally forgot about them since their team has been the model of stability throughout the crazy past few months. They will definitely be a force to be reckoned with.

Sauber didn't have 3 wind tunnels running round the clock, an entire season sacrificed with the intent of making a new baseline "super" car, or the luxury of having two teams (Super Aguri & Honda F1 both contributed to the BGP001) work on the development.

Not going to rule them out though but it's nothing similar to what happened to Brawn. BMW Sauber were doing incredibly well from '07 to '08 and had a massive hiccup in '09 due to a lot of factors in particular relating to KERS. A lot of compromises were made to accomdate it from the cooling to the extra weight etc. etc. before BMW's KERS turned out to be complete shit and ineffective. Sooo.... I'm curious to see how the C29 does in a real race situation. Now that they re-focused on the aspects of the car that make sense instead of some stupid red herring device.
Uwe
QUOTE(Phix @ Feb 4 2010, 07:25 AM) *
Nick Wirth confirmed that the front wings and sidepods on the VR-01 will be significantly different than the ones that they implement at Bahrain... in case anyone was curious as to why the front wing in particular looks so incredibly underdeveloped. Like something from the early '90s.

I'm curious how a car that supposedly didn't spend even one second in a windtunnel is going to perform. Wirth's been acting pretty arrogant and jerking off CFD every chance he gets. Guess we'll see come Q1. Even his successful Acura LMP1 car spent a few days in the windtunnel for fine tuning.

I'm curious too.

I think Wirth didn't do much refinement to the car because when something in his CFD model isn't right he wouldn't stand a chance to sort that out with a complicated aero model. Better start with a basic concept which you can revise later when you proved your initial concepts to be right.

Designing a tintop like the Acura with CFD is one thing, designing an open wheel single seater with its complicated shape is very different.
Phix
The VR-01 had its shakedown today... pics from it on track.

Dr. Strangelove
That is actually a really good looking car on track. I didn't like it in the promo pics, but this is good.
Bjorn
It's purely an aesthetic thing, but I don't really like the shape of the nose.

What team did this used to be again?
clarkma5
It's an all-new team Bjorn.
Phix
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 4 2010, 11:55 PM) *
It's purely an aesthetic thing, but I don't really like the shape of the nose.

What team did this used to be again?

Manor GP.
tune
I'm not sure Super Aguri had anything to do with the development of the Brawn car. Sure a few employees may have been re-employed and some would have been working on both projects, but it wasn't a full second team on the job.
Phix
QUOTE(tune @ Feb 5 2010, 08:44 AM) *
I'm not sure Super Aguri had anything to do with the development of the Brawn car. Sure a few employees may have been re-employed and some would have been working on both projects, but it wasn't a full second team on the job.

Yes, they did. In fact, the double deck diffuser has been credited to engineers working on the project at Super Aguri.

The BGP001, which would have been the Honda RA109, benefitted greatly from 18 months of design work undertaken at Leafiled by the Super Aguri F1 Team which had begun in 2007, a year of design work at Honda in Brackley and Tochigi during 2008, and, it is understood, additional work at the Dome base in Maibara, Japan. The double decker diffuser concept, which would prove so pivotal to the success of the BGP001, is believed to have come from either Super Aguri or Dome. At times it has been claimed that anywhere between four and six wind tunnels were in operation, through the various different arms of the development chain, at one time.

While Buxton specifies Super Aguri or Dome, I recall from one interview in F1 Racing either with Nick Fry or Ross Brawn that they singled out Super Aguri as being the ones.
Phix
Some more pics of the VR-01 with Di Grassi behind the wheel...

Phix
I'm thinking of making separate threads for each of the cars/teams. This thread is getting pretty bloated now that the pictures and launches are coming thick and fast and there's 13 specific cars to talk about.

Everyone ok with that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.