Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suprise, suprise
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
DB9
Last September, Sony Computer Entertainment announced that Gran Turismo 5 would finally go on sale in March…in Japan. Though the long-awaited game was dated only for Japan, subsequent comments from its developer, Polyphony Digital, indicated that it would also arrive in Europe and North America soon after. At a 2009 Tokyo Game Show press conference, Polyphony head Kazunori Yamauchi said the main thing holding back its Western release was Sony's marketing strategy.

Like most expensive cars in the shop, Gran Turismo 5 will be road-ready later than expected.
Unfortunately, Yamauchi's optimism was premature. Today in a short statement on its Web site, SCE announced that Gran Turismo 5 has been postponed. "We apologize for any inconvenience," the company said, without giving a reason for the delay. Fan sites, such as Gran-Turismo.com, pegged the delay as three months, indicating a Western release might not come until late 2010.

Today's news is the latest detour on Gran Turismo 5's road to release. First teased at the PlayStation 3's unveiling at the 2005 Electronic Entertainment Expo, the ultrarealistic racer will feature nearly 1,000 vehicles on over 70 tracks in 20-plus locations. Budgeted at a whopping $60 million, it is also an official licensee of several prominent racing organizations, such as NASCAR and the World Rally Championship. An early sample of the PlayStation 3 exclusive, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, was released in April 2008, garnering decent reviews.

Gamespot Autoblog has a tidbit on it too...
infinity
I had seen Nov 2010 somewhere, unfortunately. What a shame.

It better be shit-your-pants epic to make up for the repeated delays.
Razor
Duke Nukem Forever
b0mb3r
its slow getting to that status
Asher
I'm calling an early summer worldwide release. It's getting quite comical though. 3D and some weird GPS tracking feature have been comfirmed, though:
http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5s-gp...y-3d-confirmed/
moe
I am so glad my roommate got Forza on his Xbox.
speedyK
Back in 2006, when people were hoping for a 2007 relesase, I said that – based on the time taken to release GT4, it would not surprise me unduly if it took until 2010 (though I hoped that was a pessimistic statement).

However, because Polyphony seemed fairly certain about a Christmas 2007 release, I bought a PS3 and a G25 and built a cockpit in 2007...

Well, at least we got the free, downloadable GT5 Prologue Demo back then (if you opened a japanese PS3 account).

And they then sweetened the waiting with GT5 Prologue

And updated it a few times for free.

No way I want to buy a RROD machine to play Forza, so the release of NFS SHIFT for the PS3 has helped to keep me busy while waiting for GT5

I am starting to wonder now though – it seems a huge additional undertaking if they want to incorporate 3D. Perhaps it would be wiser to release the stock version now, then take the required time to do the work for 3D. Then they could promote a 3D version two years down the line and sell it again to everyone who made the move to 3D hardware (and by that time there would be far more).

I'm hoping it will be great where it's important for me – but sure that there will be loads of complaints from people whose (over-) optimistic expectations have not been met. Just hope I'm not one of them.

One thing's for sure – I'll be buying it (along with millions of others), as I'm sure it will be worth the cash even if it doesn't do all things for all people. Polyphony must know that – that's why I find their not releasing it now and doing a 3D version later hard to understand. They could surely make more money that way too?
Razor
QUOTE(speedyK @ Jan 16 2010, 12:02 PM) *
No way I want to buy a RROD machine to play Forza

My 360 is almost 3 full years old and I'm still waiting on that "RROD."
Asher
QUOTE(speedyK @ Jan 16 2010, 12:02 PM) *
I am starting to wonder now though – it seems a huge additional undertaking if they want to incorporate 3D. Perhaps it would be wiser to release the stock version now, then take the required time to do the work for 3D. Then they could promote a 3D version two years down the line and sell it again to everyone who made the move to 3D hardware (and by that time there would be far more).

I'm fairly certain that 3D was not the reason for the delay, they showed a version of GT5 in 3D at last year's CES and most of the changes are done automatically by the PS3. Its some combination of PD's perfectionism and want to include everything in the game and Sony's marketing strategy that caused the delay.
Halflifehavock13
At this point I am completely desensitized to whatever the GT5 release date may be. While I have forza in the mean time, the list of games that come out this year (and more particularly in the coming months) is ridiculously long; long enough to easily keep me entertained.
moe
Mass Effect 2 in six days. I can hardly wait.
Bjorn
QUOTE(moe @ Jan 20 2010, 02:49 AM) *
Mass Effect 2 in six days. I can hardly wait.

I've been counting down the days. I even poached a gift card from my wife for it.

Just to add to the 360 v PS3 debate, apparently MW2 is causing first gen PS3s to lunch their laser diodes.
Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jan 20 2010, 02:55 PM) *
Just to add to the 360 v PS3 debate, apparently MW2 is causing first gen PS3s to lunch their laser diodes.

Aw, PS3's own RROD, except worse! How adorable!
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jan 20 2010, 02:55 PM) *
I've been counting down the days. I even poached a gift card from my wife for it.

Hah, my friend has been coming over with his copy of mw2 for the ps3 and using it on my 40gb. Haven't had any problems so far.
moe
I think I may have ME2 on Saturday biggrin.gif
infinity
GT5 is available via Amazon.com for pre-order with a release date of March 31 listed.

Is this a mistake? or do they know something?
DB9
QUOTE(moe @ Jan 21 2010, 03:17 AM) *
I think I may have ME2 on Saturday biggrin.gif

wtf

QUOTE(infinity @ Jan 21 2010, 03:07 PM) *
GT5 is available via Amazon.com for pre-order with a release date of March 31 listed.

Is this a mistake? or do they know something?

march 31, 2011?
infinity
No, 2010.
Halflifehavock13
Amazon pulls these dates out of their asses. Don't trust them at all. Same with gamestop. Their pre-reserve was listed (as of 3 weeks ago) for February. If there's a real date, it will be announced.
infinity
That's what I was assuming.

Kind of sad that it is the best selling racing game for PS3 right now on Amazon, and all those people that bought it are going to have to wait months longer than Amazon is advertising.
Bjorn
QUOTE(infinity @ Jan 23 2010, 10:27 AM) *
That's what I was assuming.

Kind of sad that it is the best selling racing game for PS3 right now on Amazon, and all those people that bought it are going to have to wait years longer than Amazon is advertising.

Fixed.

Some websites I frequent have said that first quarter 2011 could be likely.
moe
QUOTE(DB9 @ Jan 22 2010, 03:48 AM) *
wtf

Didn't get it. Games usually ship in a little bit earlier than they go on sale. A friend of mine knows a guy that runs a game store, and he lets him have them as soon as he gets his hands on them...for a discounted price too. In any case, he told us to check back tomorrow. If not, the official release for ME2 in the UAE seems to be the 29th...dunno if I can wait much longer.
Bjorn
Does the UAE use NTSC or PAL? If you really cant wait a week I'm sure one of us north americans could always ship you a copy over night.

I don't really know how it works for games, but will this be the kind of thing where people will line up outside of the store? I planned to casually walk into HMV and plunk down a gift card for the game . . . maybe I'm being silly assuming things will be that civilized.
DB9
Na, thats what I'm gonna do. I pre-ordered it at gamestop and they gave me a call to come at like 10 the night before, but that isn't gonna happen. I'll just drop by right after classes and I'm sure it'll be fine. Thats what I did with COD:MW2
Cyclone
Meh, looks like I'm not buying a PS3 anytime soon. Gt5 is the only exclusive that has me interested in the system and the release date will be on par with the PS4 it seems.

While you PS3 fanboys are busy waiting for your game, I'll be playing Forza 3 on my 3 yearold 360 that hasn't had a single problem. tongue.gif
Razor
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Jan 25 2010, 12:04 PM) *
While you PS3 fanboys are busy waiting for your game, I'll be playing Forza 3 on my 3 yearold 360 that hasn't had a single problem. tongue.gif

This.

Did you see the Jalopnik car pack for Forza voting thing?
Bjorn
QUOTE(DB9 @ Jan 24 2010, 10:35 PM) *
Na, thats what I'm gonna do. I pre-ordered it at gamestop and they gave me a call to come at like 10 the night before, but that isn't gonna happen. I'll just drop by right after classes and I'm sure it'll be fine. Thats what I did with COD:MW2

I didn't pre order it though . . .
moe
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Jan 25 2010, 09:04 PM) *
Meh, looks like I'm not buying a PS3 anytime soon. Gt5 is the only exclusive that has me interested in the system and the release date will be on par with the PS4 it seems.

I bought a PS3 FOR GT5, thankfully there've been a couple PS3 exclusive titles to keep me busy, but thankfully my roommate has a 360 and Forza...
Cyclone
There's not really enough PS3 exclusives to make me buy the console. Most of the big games are getting multi-console releases these days so I went for the 360. The PS3 is a powerful console, I'll definitely give it that, but I just don't have any interest in getting one yet.
Halflifehavock13
infinity
For what it's worth, Amazon now has the release date for GT5 listed as November 1 2010.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.