Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WRC News?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
skr
I'm jumping on the WRC bandwagon for the 2010 season. Any news sources you'd recommend? Preferably unbiased such as Autosport, but WRC focused.
clarkma5
I just read the WRC articles on autosport and watch the eurosport coverage. In fact before the 2009 season, I just watched the coverage...pretty much everything that autosport posts about WRC is redundant with the broadcasts. It's not that complicated of a sport to follow, really.
skr
I'll check it out when the season starts. It might be easier for me anyway. I intend on downloading the broadcast when they're available via torrent, but i'm always interested in any side tidbits as well. Thanks.
tune
Sometimes you can get some extra bits on the Autosport news videos that run on the side of the page. Other than that the Offical WRC Website. Racing Live used to have a dedicated WRC site, but I see Racing Live is now ESPN F1. Oh joy.
tune
Some WRC news (good to see some more proper entries this year):

The FIA has confirmed three manufacturer entries for this year's World Rally Championship after entries for the series closed on Monday afternoon.

Two Citroen teams are listed, with six-time World Rally champion Sebastien Loeb leading the Citroen Total team while former Formula 1 world champion Kimi Raikkonen heads up the Citroen Junior Team with Sebastien Ogier named as his team-mate. Ford is represented by the BP Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team, with Mikko Hirvonen listed as the team leader.

Second drivers don't have to be nominated at this stage and can be changed on a rally-by-rally basis, although Dani Sordo (Citroen Total) and Jari-Matti Latvala (BP Ford Abu Dhabi) are expected to remain in place through this season's 13 rounds.

In addition to those three manufacturer teams, further WRC team entries are expected from Munchi's Ford for Federico Villagra, Stobart Ford for Matthew Wilson and Henning Solberg, Monster Ford for Ken Block and the Petter Solberg World Rally Team with Solberg himself driving a Citroen with Gigi Galli and or P-G Andersson alongside him. The closing date for WRC team entries is March 16.

The first WRC round of the season, the Swedish Rally, starts from Karlstad on February 11.
paddymcgrath
I read somewhere that Chris Atkinson will be driving alongside Block on the Monster Energy / Ford team but I'm not sure how much credibility there is behind it ?
tune
Yeah that was said when the news first broke a while ago, I've seen it said by several sources and I think towards the end of Subaru he was turning out consistently good performances, so will be good to see him back. I was dissappointed he only did 1 rally for the Citroen Junior team last year.
bobo27
I am interested in WRC as well, never have followed it race by race before but this is good year to start.
Kimi is in it and also Bulgaria is on the calender. There is a slim chance I might attend.

Anyway, is there a guru on WRC on these forums? Could we do a WRC Primer maybe. Info on all teams, races, tv... all that.
Is there enough people to do something similar like the F1 guess game?
tune
I'm not sure I'm a full on guru at WRC, but I used to do a review after each rally for a while, but I kind of gave up because there wasn't much interest.
RallyCat knows what he's talking about.

Also haven't managed to get much interest in a WRC Competition like the F1.

I could do a season preview though and if people think it's a good idea, I'll do the reviews again to prompt some discussion.

I'm going to try and follow the IRC this year too, hoping there's is consistent TV coverage on Eurosport. Last year there were live stages each day from Monte Carlo and by the end of the season I couldn't find any coverage at all. Still it looks to be even more interesting now.
RallyCat909
I always enjoy Tune's rally posts, so keep posting and I'll chime in and babble about rallying with you. I have a dedicated rally section on another forum, with mod permission I'll post the link. I have an upcoming interview in the works with a US rally driver.

Here's a post:

Just going to use this thread for gossip and news in the WRC 2010.

Kimi tries his new C4

Kimi Räikkönen got his first taste of the Citroën C4 WRC on Tuesday, at a private gravel test track close to the team’s Satory workshops. This initial shakedown allowed the Finn to start getting used to the car that he will drive on the 2010 FIA World Rally Championship. With only a few weeks left before this year’s World Rally Championship season gets underway in Sweden on 12 February, Kimi Räikkönen has already started his preparations in earnest. The 2007 Formula 1 World Champion came to Versailles on Tuesday to see Citroën Racing’s facilities for himself. The Finn was then able to drive the Citroën C4 WRC on a gravel test track within the Satory complex.

Having covered around 50 kilometres, the latest Citroën Junior Team driver appreciated the chance to familiarise himself with his new car. « I very much enjoyed meeting the team properly for the first time » he said. « It was good to try out a few different things; I was very interested to see how the car reacted when you changed some of the settings. Now, I’m really keen to get back behind the wheel of the C4 again! »

Kimi Räikkönen’s first competitive outing will be on 28 January. In order to prepare for the forthcoming Swedish Rally, the Finn is scheduled to compete on the Arctic Lapland Rally in a Citroën C4 WRC.

Henning Solberg teams up with new co-driver

Henning Solberg has announced that he will run with a new co-driver for the 2010 World Rally Championship season. The Stobart VK M-Sport driver has split with long-time partner Cato Menkerud ahead of the new campaign and will now have Ilka Minor reading the notes during the year ahead. Minor previously worked alongside Manfred Stohl and has been a member of Solberg's team for a number of years as part of the safety note crew. "There's absolutely nothing wrong with Cato,” Solberg said. “I think he is one of the best co-drivers in the world, and he's never read a wrong note in nine years - but for me I need something new, and maybe a new co-driver is it.”

Menkerud will now move to the new Super 2000 WRC for the season ahead to partner Eyvind Brynildsen in a Skoda Fabia S2000, replacing experienced Frenchman Denis Giraudet. “I'm very motivated,” he said. “Eyvind is young. He has the right attitude, he is hungry and he works hard. He has already shown his qualities with some very impressive results last year. This will be very exciting.”

Round 1 WRC 2010: Rally Sweden

Categories:
WRC, P-WRC, S-WRC

Based:
Karlstad

Surface:
Ice and snow covered gravel

After making way for Rally Norway last year, Rally Sweden returns with star billing in 2010 as the opening round and the only true winter rally of the WRC season.

The rally had a difficult time in 2008, when mild temperatures turned stages around its central Sweden base of Karlstad into a slush-fest. This year, in an effort to deliver a proper winter landscape, much of the event has been shifted north. The start, finish and Super Special remain in Karlstad, while the Service Park is 85km away in the town of Hagfors - ideally placed for the gravel roads and forests of the Varmland and Dalarna regions. Temperatures can drop below -25 degrees Celsius on this event but the special challenge of the frozen roads makes it one of the most popular among drivers. Despite the ice and snow-covered stages, speeds are still frighteningly quick thanks to metal studded tyres which bite through the soft surface into the hard-packed ground below.

The event also features snow banks which drivers use as soft barriers on which to 'lean' their cars around corners. There are plenty of hazards, though. Hit a snow bank at the wrong speed and it can bite back, filling radiators with snow or sucking the car in completely. If this happens, the driver and co-driver reach for the shovels they are required to carry on board. As with the fast gravel roads of neighbouring Finland, local talent prevails here, and the winners' list looks like a Scandinavian phone book. To succeed in Sweden, you need a sublime combination of commitment, fingertip feel and lightning reactions.

New for 2010

Much of the route. With the exception of the Karlstad Super Special, only two of the stages from 2008 remain. The rest is a mix of brand new routes and tests used in previous years when the rally went further north.

2010 WRC Calendar

Another season coming up, 13 events is on the calendar and it all starts in Sweden in the middle of February. Bulgaria is new on the calendar, and Rallye de France has moved from Corsica over to Alsace on the mainland. Jordan and Finland starts their rally on a Thursday and finishes on Saturday.

Rally Sweden 12 – 14 February
Rally Mexico 5 – 7 March
Rally Jordan 2 – 4 April
Rally Turkey 16 – 18 April
Rally New Zealand 7 – 9 May
Rally Portugal 28 – 30 May
Rally Bulgaria 9 – 11 July
Rally Finland 29 – 31 July
Rally Germany 20 – 22 August
Rally Japan 10 – 12 September
Rally France 1 – 3 October
Rally Spain 22 – 24 October
Wales Rally GB 12 – 14 November
tune
On another note, does anyone know if there are any plans for an Official WRC game any time soon? I always enjoyed the old ones.

I have just recently rinsed Dirt 2. Loved every minute of it and the 1st game I've got all the achievements for.
clarkma5
tune, I did read something about ISC pushing for a new WRC game pretty soon. I dunno if it would be based on the 2009 or 2010 cars or what, though.

In any case, I intend to watch this season but I'm not expecting anything great. 2010 is a weird transitional year where the WRC cars aren't really going to change at all from 2009 and there really aren't any fresh faces either. I'm mostly expecting a rehash of 2009, with Loeb versus Hirvonen again and Citroen versus Ford. It's cool to watch but it's certainly not very fresh. 2011 will be the season to watch for in WRC IMO, what with the S2000 cars coming to the fore, I expect new manufacturers and a lot of fresh interest in general. In the meantime, the IRC (intercontinental rally challenge) is on the upswing and I think I'd like to follow that this year.
Timr
I watched alot of it on I think it was HD one of those hidden channels all about cars... all i have to say is it sucks subaru is now gone.

EDIT: dirt was an awesome game spent many hours of my life playing it lol
tune
Yeah I suppose your right clark. I wonder what 2011 will do for IRC, will some people switch to WRC because it becomes more attractive with the new rule set and it's general presence?

It'd be more interesting to see drivers from both series' racing against each other. Of course that wouldn't mean that Loeb and Hirvonen wouldn't be occupying the top 2 spots, but at least there would be some battling from 3rd - 8th, consistently.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.