Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mansell at Le Mans this year
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
moe

Nigel Mansell could be on the grid at the Le Mans 24hrs this year, following the formation of a new LMS team, Beachdean Mansell Motorsport.
The team will run a factory-backed Ginetta-Zytek Z09R in the LMP1 class of the Le Mans Series, and is hoping also to get an entry for the 2010 24-hour race at Le Mans itself.

The ZO9R will be raced through the LMS season by Mansell's sons Leo and Greg, with 'our Nige' joining the action for selected races - and the Le Mans 24hrs if the team gets in.

Mansell returned to the track in a Ginetta-Zytek at Silverstone last year, when he teamed up with son Greg for the LMS round. His two sons already have a fair amount of racing experience under their belts - Greg in Formula Renault 3.5s and Leo in the LMS.
"I'm very happy to announce this partnership between myself and Beechdean," says Mansell senior. "The team comes fresh to the LMS with an impeccable pedigree and full support from Zytek.

"I'm very excited about 2010 and the prospect of racing with both my sons for the first time. I can confirm that I will be racing with Leo and Greg during the season and, if we receive an entry, we will also be racing at Le Mans."

Piston Heads
Razor
Too bad he's driving that. I wish he was driving in a class where, you know, there's actually some competition.
Phix
Yeah, very nice..... until you start listening to the latest rumours that Red Bull may very well be sponsoring a Peugeot 908 with these drivers: Kimi Raikkonen, Sebastien Loeb, and David Coulthard.

Mansell and his boys can take a back seat.
moe
You're back! *initiates man loving*
Uwe
I can't see Kimi taking part in the LeMans 24h. Yes, that race is pure history but compared to F1 and Rally it's not very challenging from a driver's point of view.
Bjorn
Of course he's back. He's like a bird, only instead of migrating back to DS for insects, Phix migrates back for F1.
Razor
QUOTE(Phix @ Feb 4 2010, 03:08 AM) *
Yeah, very nice..... until you start listening to the latest rumours that Red Bull may very well be sponsoring a Peugeot 908 with these drivers: Kimi Raikkonen, Sebastien Loeb, and David Coulthard.

Holy SHIT. There's nothing I'd like to see more than Team Peugeot Sport Total lose to their own car in different hands, except, well, an R15 victory, but barring unseen issues (which there always are in Le Mans), I doubt that's going to happen unless they've REALLY improved the R15.
Phix
QUOTE(Uwe @ Feb 4 2010, 09:01 AM) *
I can't see Kimi taking part in the LeMans 24h. Yes, that race is pure history but compared to F1 and Rally it's not very challenging from a driver's point of view.

Probably. Just rumors at the moment and there was nothing on the LMS entry list for this supposed entry. Guess we'll find out closer to the 24 hours.

No clue if Raikkonen would be interested in an endurance race and Coulthard has already done and won Le Mans with a TWR run XJ220 but was disqualified in 1993 I think. According to his autobiography, he actually found it to be quite boring so it'd be interesting if 10+ years later he's willing to give it another go for Red Bull. Hell, he's retired so he might just jump into anything at this point to satisfy his racing itch.
tune
Yeah the entry list came out yesterday or the day before and there was no mention. I'd be surprised if it were true.

I would say Le Mans is a pretty challenging race, keeping focussed for long stints like that can't be that easy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.