Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ferrari 612 Scaglietti
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > The Cool Wall > Cool
Dr. Strangelove
The Ferrari 612 Scaglietti (Italian pronunciation: [skaʎˈʎetti]) is a grand tourer produced by Ferrari since 2004. It is a large two door fastback coupé. The 612 Scaglietti was designed to replace the smaller 456 M; its larger size makes it a true 4 seater with adequate space in the rear seats for adults.
The design, especially the large side scallops and the headlights, pays homage to the custom 1954 Ferrari 375 MM that director Roberto Rossellini had commissioned for his wife, Ingrid Bergman.

For me, this car is the Ferrari for the Tifoso. Front engined V12 four seater. This is the ultimate grand touring Ferrari, and I think one of the most underloved cars out there.

This car hits all the right buttons for me. And I think it is the coolest car Ferrari currently makes.

Let me defend that real quick:

It isn't something that needs carbon ceramic brakes, or knife edge handling. It doesn't try to be cool, it just is. This car isn't about 0-60 times or Nurburgring laps, it's cool in an unapologetic, traditional sense.

The Ferrari F430 is for impressing people with your money, the 612 is for not caring what others think.

Sub 0
Razor
This is THE definition of a phenomenal GT car. Sub zero seconded.
moe
I've always loved the big Ferrari GTs, and this is no exception (my favorite Ferrari of all time is actually the 456).
4wheelfreak
cool because it's a Ferrari, but my least favorite
clarkma5
heh 4wheelfreak, my thinking is kinda the opposite.

Uncool for being a ferrari, but easily the most understated of the current lot, and I do find a class and presence to it to a greater degree than anything else in their current lineup. I was on the fence between neutral and cool but I erred on the side of cool.
moe
I had to think about why I'd voted cool for this car, and I finally realized. Ferraris are cars that appeal strongly to your emotions, and among the current range this is the one that has the greatest emotional appeal. I think the reason is between the California and the 599...it's completely pointless. The only genuine reason you could have for buying the 612 is so that you'd have a Ferrari that seats four in comfort, which is a pretty small group of people. Most would just buy another make of car.

The reason I think it's pointless otherwise is because the California does the whole grand touring just as well for a lot less cash, and with the added bonus of a folding hardtop. The 599 also does grand touring extremely well, costs less, and can be a true supercar when the need arises as well. So why would anyone ever buy the 612? Simple, because they love it.
Dr. Strangelove
^ Exactly. Posers don't buy a 612.
Bjorn
I'm not a fan of Ferrari, but I do like the 612. Kinda represents the transitional fossil between the 456/575/360 era and the mad technological titans of today.

Also, Clarkson's race against the plane to Switzerland in one was epic, mainly because of the car.
Dr. Strangelove
I want to know why the people who said uncool said so. Confess your sins!
moe
^ A lot of people find the car ugly.
e30_324d
QUOTE(moe @ Jan 14 2010, 08:25 PM) *
^ A lot of people find the car ugly.

me! not my cup of tea...
dukenukem
Why can't Ferrari make good looking cars like they did in the past ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.