Full Version: My brand new Lincoln
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
fiber optic

Lincoln Precision Tig 225
Happy Birthday to me.
redls1bird
Your r/r tire needs air.
Aircooled
Well, lets see some epic tig welds on aluminum and steel.
fiber optic
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Dec 28 2009, 04:05 PM) *
Well, lets see some epic tig welds on aluminum and steel.

I need to get some lessons from my painter then I've got a couple of projects to do and I'll post some pics of them.
Aircooled
From what I know I think you gotta be pretty damn good to do a strong, good looking tig weld, like someone who does it for a living. From what I gathered it is similar to gas welding, which pretty much no one does anymore with ease and cheapness of mig. I've done gas welding before I got a mig setup with mixed results...
Altostratus
Seam-weld the (beetle) chassis !
Bjorn
^I second that. Seam welding FTW.
fiber optic

My wife and daughter went to TN for a long weekend which means a stupid little Volvo wasn't blocking my welder. This is a rod that has two hooks on it that you hang bird feeders from. It's a straight rod at the bottom where it goes in the ground and it has a little support leg which broke off. The original weld was just a quarter-inch long and looked more like a tack.

Prior to this I was making lines on steel and aluminum scrap. Steel is so much more forgiving than aluminum so I need more Al practice.
UserDrew
Man, you can now join so many pieces of metal! thumbs_up.gif

goota
thats a really nice weld man. keep it up, we got a lincoln mig at my house, a tig would be really nice though, jealousssssssssssssssssss.
fiber optic
QUOTE(goota @ Jul 31 2010, 12:45 AM) *
thats a really nice weld man. keep it up, we got a lincoln mig at my house, a tig would be really nice though, jealousssssssssssssssssss.

I'd only done MIG work up until I got this and I'd never even seen a TIG welder. Both floor pans on the VW were MIG welded to the frame on my first day plus some work on my brother's Austin-Healey. I had a huge problem with just blowing holes through the thin pans but eventually got the hang of it.

An auto darkening helmet is a must as well. I don't know why they even bother selling the non-autos anymore.

Don't be jealous, I got the TIG and my wife got this (the black entertainment center not any of my sweet home theater):

The welder was less expensive, less hassle to uncrate, and get the electrical set-up. Surprisingly both shipped for free though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.