Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Photoshop Battle Contest #2 - The Low Light Factor
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
mackey
On the heels of the last contest, I bring you the Dieselstation Forums Photoshop Contest #2 - The Low Light Factor

The purpose of this battle is to see how well you can work with a poorly/low lite image. The circumstances I was under weren't the best, the car couldn't go anywhere as it was getting loaded for a transport for SEMA, so my options were very limited. We pulled the car along the side of the building and took a few pictures (among other angles). I really hate to use another side profile shot, but I think this was one of the better candidates for the contest.

First rule of this battle:
1. There are no real rules, do whatever you want, just remember you'll be judged by your peers and other competitors (so maybe no big nose this time N1SMO whistle.gif )
2. Posted pictures should have a resolution no larger than 1200px in width
3. Every picture posted, regardless of final or not, should have this DS logo I created. (It's a PNG File, Right Click Save As) Download Here
4. All entries should be emailed to me, mackey (at) mackeydesigns.com. I'll assign you a random number.
5. Deadline: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 (I will post entries the 23rd to give a few days over the holidays to vote)

You can view my edit I did for this picture here.

Picture File:
Resized 1200px JPEG

RAW NEF File: (Right Click Save As) Be respectful of this file, please don't share or use it outside of this contest.
http://www.mackeydesigns.com/uploads/DS/cl600_contest.NEF

Goodluck to everyone!
Chebs
Awesome Mackey! Looking forward to this one!
Konrad Janicki
nice one smile.gif but I cant download it ;/
any one else has the same problem then me ?
Chebs
I can'r download it either.
jrampton
me neither
mackey
Ahh i hosted the raw on TZ, let me see if i can get it to work in another folder. One min.
mackey
Updated with new link, sorry, I guess we have most subfolders blocked on TZ so I put it on my own site.
Konrad Janicki
ok now it works fine smile.gif
vinh291
sweet, this allows much more creative freedom. I wish you'd choose a more recent shot since We've seen this picture a while back, plus i saw your edit in the book wink.gif
Cant wait to do it nonetheless
mackey
QUOTE(vinh291 @ Dec 16 2009, 03:15 PM) *
sweet, this allows much more creative freedom. I wish you'd choose a more recent shot since We've seen this picture a while back, plus i saw your edit in the book wink.gif
Cant wait to do it nonetheless

Everything more recent is tied up at the moment with mags or companies. Plus it'll be fun to see what else other people can come up with.
Nate047
entry submitted thumbs_up.gif
tonymophoto.com
My lord why f/16 and the dirty image sensor? eek.gif
mackey
QUOTE(tonymophoto.com @ Dec 16 2009, 05:18 PM) *
My lord why f/16 and the dirty image sensor? eek.gif

LOL Good question, I think it was fairly sunny that day so I probably bumped it up so nothing would get blown out, plus I wanted to grab a lot of detail in the shot.

Or... I have no idea... it's been awhile.

Dirty sensor in this game is a common enemy... I tend to clean mine every 3-6 months.
Nike SB'd
Josh are you picking the winner or are we going to do a public vote? If we get too many entries to do one poll you can always give the photos blind numbers (as mentioned previously) then people can just add a reply with the number of the photo they voted for, then manual tally...
mackey
QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Dec 16 2009, 06:54 PM) *
Josh are you picking the winner or are we going to do a public vote? If we get too many entries to do one poll you can always give the photos blind numbers (as mentioned previously) then people can just add a reply with the number of the photo they voted for, then manual tally...

Public vote. They will be given random numbers, all entries will be submitted to me directly and i'll host them.

Pending how many entries I get, we'll probably end up doing manually, if not a lot, then i'll do a poll.
mackey
I'll probably also end up posting judging rules along with the submissions, just to give everyone a fair idea of what to look for, etc. These of course will be based on things I look for, so take it with a grain of salt, and maybe a little pepper.
Nike SB'd
Cool sounds good. I might have a crack at it tomorrow if I have time smile.gif
Chebs
Right I've finished mine smile.gif

Mackey, will you be posting the images as they come through, or when deadline has completed?
mackey
QUOTE(//deanphoto @ Dec 17 2009, 05:28 AM) *
Right I've finished mine smile.gif

Mackey, will you be posting the images as they come through, or when deadline has completed?

If I could get admin rights, I would create a thread and post entries and just keep it locked... otherwise it would just get messy.

For now we'll just wait till I get all the entries by the deadline.
tonymophoto.com
I had an edit last night that was looking pretty good, a little noise issue that needed addressed but otherwise good.

Then I woke up this morning, looked at it, and I was clearly jacked on too much caffiene so I scrapped it. Time to start over lol.
Nike SB'd
How many people have submitted an entry thus far?
tonymophoto.com
Not sure if you were aware of this or not Mackey....

http://www.ballerride.com/2008/01/17/balle...n-v12-mercedes/
mackey
QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Dec 17 2009, 10:22 AM) *
How many people have submitted an entry thus far?

QUOTE(tonymophoto.com @ Dec 17 2009, 10:41 AM) *
Not sure if you were aware of this or not Mackey....

http://www.ballerride.com/2008/01/17/balle...n-v12-mercedes/

And yes.
Seethegrim
Just sent my entry in.

Spent a bit too much time on this than I actually should have. If I spent this much time on 1 actual work photo I would have one super happy client! Can't wait for the day when as an advertising photographer, I only need to supply a handful of images instead of crazy amounts. You can deliver much better quality.
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Dec 17 2009, 12:31 PM) *
Just sent my entry in.

Spent a bit too much time on this than I actually should have. If I spent this much time on 1 actual work photo I would have one super happy client! Can't wait for the day when as an advertising photographer, I only need to supply a handful of images instead of crazy amounts. You can deliver much better quality.

Literally thinking the EXACT same thing lmao. Except mine's still not done haha.
Mr.D
mine is simple, yet elegant...
also, l must say that I was impressed with the sensor of the D200
d.tek
i'm failing miserably at this tongue.gif
Martin
I gave it a try yesterday but I'll pass on this one. We sure need something beyond a side profile shot for the next round. biggrin.gif
spphoto.dk
Duh! Just now when I finished editing my pic, I realized that a RAW was available. I just edited the JPG head.gif

Oh well, I'm not gonna compete then. Here was my try anyways:

Nike SB'd
Worked on mine for a bit last night, should be done this evening if I get some more time smile.gif
vinh291
just submitted, worked on it last night and today but i wish I didnt have to study for an exam last night after some post processing tongue.gif
Nike SB'd
Just submitted mine unsure.gif
tonymophoto.com
I'll try and work on mine late Sunday, but I really dont think I'm going to have the time to churn it out between now and the 22nd. A shoot in FL is consuming all my energy for the next few weeks.
Konrad Janicki
I just send my entry smile.gif can't wait to see what did everyone do with this shot
javo
Longtime reader first time posting.... Got inspired looking at the last challenge and figure I give it try. Can't wait to see what people come up w/.
mackey
make sure when you send me your submission, you let me know what your member name is. A few I have no idea.
javo
oopps probably one of those is mine, I apologize... I sent you an email w/ the user name and picture.
Nike SB'd
Josh did you get mine? I just PMed it to you instead of emailing it.
mackey
QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Dec 21 2009, 02:11 PM) *
Josh did you get mine? I just PMed it to you instead of emailing it.

yep
Seethegrim
Yay. Entries close today so we'll finally get to see everyones entries tomorrow! biggrin.gif

I'm pretty excited to see what comes from this challenge. The scope is endless!
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Dec 22 2009, 05:08 AM) *
Yay. Entries close today so we'll finally get to see everyones entries tomorrow! biggrin.gif

I'm pretty excited to see what comes from this challenge. The scope is endless!

Ya me too should be interesting. And the poor exposure should make for quite a contrast in quality of edits, I'm excited smile.gif
wilch
the suspense is killing me!
mackey
Just got home, i'll be closing out the contest then.
mackey
/closed.

Creating poll now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.