Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All season tire contest
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
dukenukem
So, my RE-01R are as good as gone and with me moving the Kansas I need some all season loving. From my research on tirerack and intertubes I found these to be some of the better recommended tires. Which one would you guys pick?

1. Bridgestone Potenza RE960

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

* Size: 225/45R17
* Blackwall
* Serv. Desc: 91W
* UTQG: Treadwear: 400
* Traction: AA
* Temperature: A400 AA A
* Price: $166.00 (each)

I think these are the oldest of the bunch so lots of data and reviews. Sold performer always.

2. Michellin Pilot Sport A/S

* Size: 225/45ZR17
* Blackwall
* Serv. Desc: 91Y
* UTQG: Treadwear: 500
*Temperature: A500 AA A
* Price: $167.00 (each)

Fairly new but as with most michellins quality stuff.

3. Conti Extremecontact DWS

* Blackwall
* Serv. Desc: 91W
* UTQG: Treadwear: 540
* Traction: A
*Temperature: A540 A A
* Price: $112.00 (each)

Cheapest of the bunch but newest too. Also read consistent reports of sidewall being way too soft.

4. Yokohama Advan S.4
* Load Range: XL
* Blackwall
* Serv. Desc: 94W
* Price: $155.00 (each)

Supposed to be a lot more performance oriented like the RE960 but cheaper

5. Pirelli Pzero Nero A/S
* Size: 225/45ZR17
* Load Range: XL
* Blackwall
* Serv. Desc: 94W
* Price: $149.00 (each)

Won the tire rack comparison with the michellin, contis and good years. Not too badly priced either.

So there you go.. gimme your opinions.
fiber optic
I would NOT pick the Pirelli Neros. Those were the OE tires on the Mustang of which I've got the wheels/tires from on my Merc. Perhaps OK in the dry but can be sketchy in the rain (6 or 7 out of 10 on the sketchy scale). I'm definitely not putting those back on it. I'll look over the rest of them and put in a vote.

EDIT: I'd get the Michelins you listed.
Aircooled
The only performance all seasons I have any experience with are Eagle GTs.
Razor
Get Dunlop Sport 01 A/S and then hang yourself for the stupid decision you made.
dukenukem
Poll ... vote .. be useful.
clarkma5
Money no object, the Michelins are probably the best, though they are getting a bit long in the tooth. I reccomended the RE960A/Ss to a friend who lives in the Seattle area and he loved them in all conditions...I dunno what he was using before though, it may have just been a significant upgrade from something crappy. I dunno much about the Yokos and I'm not super impressed with the Pirellis. At this stage in time, I'd probably pick the Continentals but the Bridgestones and Michelins certainly deserve to be cross-shopped...

As always, my tire-shopping routine boils down to three tires and picking the cheapest one of the three, which I assume will be the Contis. They're what I voted for anyway.
Altostratus
i base it on what tires id use on my road bike, and Michelin wins everytime.

Bjorn
I had a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's on my previous Legacy, brilliant tire, quiet, grippy in all sorts of weather (not snow though, not even a dusting) gave the car a really confident feel.
moe
I've never bought anything other than summer performance tires, so I can't really say much about all-seasons. The reviews for the Bridgestones look solid though, and it's my preferred brand of tire.
Aircooled
Aww poor Moe, deprived of the fun challenge called snow driving.
dukenukem
I am really torn between the conti DWS and the Michellins .. the price difference is $200. Worth it or not .. gotta decide quickly.
BlackJack
Me and my family have depended on the Bridgestones (mainly the Potenzas) and they have never let us down. Highly recommend those.
MitsuJDM
I just pulled Pirelli Pzero Nero's off my dad's Evo. They were crappy tires in my opinion. Very skidish in the rain and dry grip was "eh".

Even though I haven't driven on any of those tires listed, I'd suggest going with Bridgestone's or the Yokohama's.

I use dedicated tires on my Evo, summer and snow tires. Dunlop Direzza Z!'s and Bridgestone Blizzaks. I do this because almost any all-season tire I've used I hated because they suck in the rain snow and in dry weather. They're (obviously) designed to work in all situation, therefore compromises must be made. So I stick to two seperate tires. A good dry/rain summer tires and a good snow/ice tires biggrin.gif

If you have the cash, I'd suggest a second set of wheels smile.gif
dukenukem
I got the Michelin Pilot Sport All-season last week. smile.gif
Altostratus
if they salt the roads there i would suggest a second set of wheels aswell, don't want to fuck up the BBS now do ya?
Tony Two Shoes
I live in MN. We get plenty of snow. I have lived here my whole life and have been driving for the last 12 years.

With that said, I stick to all-season tires. I just don't have the money or space to have summer and winter tires.

My suggestion to throw into the hat are Goodyear Assurance Tripletreds. I had them on a 2003 Honda Civic coupe. And now I have them on my 2006 Nissan Altima. In my opinion, they deliver the best of both worlds. I do a lot of driving for work. And I have been caught in blizzards that have shut down interstates and those tires pull me through that shit. And in the summer, it takes a lot to induce understeer on highway cloverleaf off ramps.

The only other tire I have had that comes close is BF Goodrich Radial T/As.

I had the Yoko Advans once. They were great on dry pavement. But they were really prone to hydroplaning. And they were bald in about 30,000 miles. As opposed to the Tripletreds I have now have about 80,000 miles on them. The tread is getting close to the wear bars, but they are still serving me well this winter.

Just my $o.o2.
dukenukem
Thanks for the advice Tony .. however i already got the Michelins.
b0mb3r
Aw... good luck in Kansas...
dukenukem
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Jan 7 2010, 06:06 PM) *
Aw... good luck in Kansas...

Yup. I am starting to think those Dunlop Winter sport 3D would have been a much better choice. But then again I managed to survive the last snow storm on POS OEM Michelins on the sonata ..
b0mb3r
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Jan 7 2010, 05:10 PM) *
Yup. I am starting to think those Dunlop Winter sport 3D would have been a much better choice. But then again I managed to survive the last snow storm on POS OEM Michelins on the sonata ..

as long as you don't get super deep snow; good set of all-seasons will be fine. my continentals do fine in the snow, provided that I drive sensibly.
bankE46
Two sets of wheels is so convenient. I keep my snows on the OEM wheels and ive got the Flik/Azenis combo for the other 8 months of the year. You can swap em at home without having to pay for tire mounting, so you save some bucks, and since the snows are only used a few months a year, you can hang onto them for many years.
dukenukem
now that i think of it 2 wheel solution would have been the better bet... i might do that next year perhaps.
b0mb3r
oh yeah that's what I do... this way you can buy nice rimz and not have to worry about them being damaged by the salt.
A32
I have RE960 AS's on my 2.5GT. They are great in dry and wet. I haven't tried them in snow. I run blizzaks in the winter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.