Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Honda S2000 vs. C5 Corvette
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Diesel
I dunno why.. but i've been looking at Used S2K's lately. not that i have the money for it or anything.. just dreaming. But then i realized a used C5 Corvette is just a few grand more.

You can find S2000's for around $10-11K. and you can find C5 Corvettes for around $13-14K.

So.. would you take an arguably better handling and more reliable S2K, or a more powerful C5 Corvette?

MustangAficionado
I'd probably get the S2k. C5 Z06's and C6+'s are really where the trump card comparisons come into play.
nismo
I could barely deal with the interior of the C6 corvette. It was SO cheap. But the C5?!

The S2000 is so much nicer of a drive, and the interior looks 50 times better. I've also driven a standard transmission C5 vette, and I wasn't a fan of the transmission. I think after the S2000, no other factory transmission compares. (not including exotics)
moe
I'd rock the S2000. Though given the rarity of the S2k in this region, I'd probably settle for the C5.
BlackJack
I'd go with the C5. Easy to mod and perhaps upgrade it to a street legal C5-R biggrin.gif
Razor
I'd take the better built, better balanced S2k. No questions asked.
Timr
S2k, use the 3-4k to put into mods... A friend of mine had an 06 almost identical to the blue one up there and it was totalled... He than continued to buy an R34 and insisted he was terrified of rwd. 6 Months later he is now looking at getting another after winter lol.
Dr. Strangelove
Apples and oranges really. Drive them both and buy whatever puts a bigger smile on your face. I know you will love either. You just need to figure out if you want power or nimble handling.
Aircooled
Torque is your friend...
UserDrew
I know the S2k is the better car but I'd still go with the 'vette simply because it has more power!
Aircooled
I just figured out how to have the best of both worlds!

LS swapped S2000!
Halflifehavock13
I would probably go s2000 because if you compare a 14k s2000, it'll have less miles than a comparable corvette. However, the thought of getting a vette cammed, good headers and a straight back exhaust is EXTREMELY tempting. Of course, an s2000 with itb's is godtier.
MustangAficionado
Well, if you plan on modding outside visual mods then the vette is the obvious choice.
clarkma5
S2k for sure...I like the C5, but it's gotta be a Z06 before I'd take it over the Honda, and by then you're looking at $20k.
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Dec 14 2009, 07:55 PM) *
S2k for sure...I like the C5, but it's gotta be a Z06 before I'd take it over the Honda, and by then you're looking at $20k.

Bingo
Bjorn
Living here, S2000 no contest. Living in California, the land of the traffic jam, I think the C5 would be less of a headache, with all that torque and first gear driveability.
Dr. Strangelove
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Dec 14 2009, 09:29 PM) *
Living here, S2000 no contest. Living in California, the land of the traffic jam, I think the C5 would be less of a headache, with all that torque and first gear driveability.

As a LA resident who daily drives an S2000 I can tell you it's not that bad. It does get irritating from time to time, but the clutch is pretty heavy on the Vette compared.

Also with the S2000 you can zip around cars, the Corvette is too big to zip. From personal experience the Corvette is pretty ungainly for the city. Now that you mention it, I am going to have to say S2000 if it's California we are talking about.

People say that the S2k has no power down low, but that's only if you compare it to the power up top. It drives like a Civic if you drive it under VTEC. Especially if you have the 2.2, it is very easy to drive. Just don't lower it, that is a bad idea in this state.

Also, people hate Corvette owners. It's easy to act like you don't care what other people think, but it really does start to grate on you when people judge you constantly.
dukenukem
I say buy a Corvette. It will be a harder challenge for you to rice that one out.
skr
I say S2000 because I know how you drive. I don't want to see your C5 wrapped around a lightpole.

Edit: but then again, you're on the virge to midlife, so a C5 would suit you.
midnightdorifto
I'd vote Corvette, but I don't think you can go wrong either way. If it was a daily, I'd take the Corvette because it's going to be a good deal more practical (and, honestly, I think it gets better gas mileage...) But either way, good choices.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.