Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just upgraded my 100mm lens
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
DonJuanMair
My 100mm was my most used lens for automotive work, I love it. After one shoot though I was a bit unhappy how it was performing at f2.8, it was soft where I expected it to be sharper.
So I just rented the 100mm f2.8L Macro, and I fell in love with it. Its super sharp at f2.8 and it also has the Macro ability which is great for detail shots etc.
I just ordered it and can't wait for it to come!
Konrad Janicki
what 100 2.8 lens did you have ? I'm thinking aout buying a longer then 70 mm lens with f2.8 but don't know witch one
I was thinking about this one Canon 100 2.8 USM is it this one you did have ? if yes what can you say about it
DonJuanMair
The 100mm I had before was the 100mm f2
Wide open you get a lot of CA, even up to f2.8. I started to get disappointed with it so now I'm going for the 100mm f2.8L IS Macro
I think the lens your referring to there is the non IS macro version.

What body do you have?
Konrad Janicki
I have a 450D with kit lens and 50 f1.8 but the 50 is now my most used lens becouse of the possibility of the low depht of field and making the background out of focus

the one that I linked has macro but it doesn't has IS

but what can you say about your old 100 f2, I just saw its in a good price to
john jovic
QUOTE(Konrad Janicki @ Dec 10 2009, 01:35 AM) *
what 100 2.8 lens did you have ? I'm thinking aout buying a longer then 70 mm lens with f2.8 but don't know witch one
I was thinking about this one Canon 100 2.8 USM is it this one you did have ? if yes what can you say about it

I have the old 100/2.8 macro. It's actually an amazing lens but I don't carry it with me any more as I have a 70-200/2.8. Most people don't realise that the Canon "L" designation is a marketing thing and is meant to signify unusual optical components or design, such as UD, aspherical elements or similar. "L" designation does not mean that a lens performs beyond a particular standard. In other words, lenses with very simple optical designs but that perform extraordinarilly well do not get the "L" designation. The old 100/2.8 macro is one of those lenses as it does not use any special lens elements. It's razor sharp at 2.8 and is excellent value, particularly now that people will be dumping them for the new 100!

Canons "L" zooms (17-40, 24-70, 70-200 etc) perform so well there is no reason to carry a lens like the macro unless you really want it for it's close focusing abilities. The 24-70 has very good close focusing ablilites and replaces the 100 macro for my purposes.

JJ
DonJuanMair
QUOTE(Konrad Janicki @ Dec 9 2009, 10:45 AM) *
I have a 450D with kit lens and 50 f1.8 but the 50 is now my most used lens becouse of the possibility of the low depht of field and making the background out of focus

the one that I linked has macro but it doesn't has IS

but what can you say about your old 100 f2, I just saw its in a good price to

That's what I had, the 450D and I used to love my 100mm f2 on it, it was the equivalent of 160mm so you have to go back a bit but still nice, I loved the DOF on it. Its focussing is also fast and quiet.

My friend is like you john, he likes all zooms, I prefer primes to be honest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.