Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DS Photoshop battle - Talk
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
Pages: 1, 2
Chebs
jrampton
I've uploaded my version, i thought the photo was ok actually hopefully i've done it some justice, thanks for the advice about the clouds Dean wink.gif
d.tek
i just gave it a quick selective color attempt, it wasn't exactly the most flattering location for the car, but the snap was cool none-the-less!
Jiggly Blubber
Where can I get the original file to partake in this?
Nike SB'd
Ya can I get the original file too? smile.gif
mackey
wondering why the original file was removed or w/e as well.
Konrad Janicki
I would say the shot is quite nice, I'm loving the R8 in red smile.gif

the only thing I have to say about any others work is that on Boily's entry the car is looking a bit flat, you can't see the shape of the body on the side - take more time to work on it not just 10 min
Chebs
Guys,

You should have received a PM with the link smile.gif

QUOTE(n1smo @ Dec 8 2009, 01:19 PM) *
My version...
I know, a little cheesy but i had fun tongue.gif

Raised contrast, desaturated, put a gradient over it and obviously added motion and a driver biggrin.gif

Still not sure about the sky, blur or not ???

Are you suggesting I have a large nose laugh.gif
n1smo
haha, now that you say it, maybe the nose is a little too large biggrin.gif
John Renna
After comparing the edits, on a few of them the car is very flat (mine included). What technique do some of you other guys use to go about bumping the saturation in the car without making it flat?
Boily
lololll ahaha
OHirtenfelder
I agree with Konrad, the point of this thread is not to do as so many have done and:" Oh , here's a quick 10 min edit that I did". No, the reason Dean set the timeline till next week and not later today is so that people can actually do some proper PP on the shot. So come on guys, try do it justice,even if it is a shitty shot... tongue.gif
Just kidding, I actually think it's a pretty cool shot!
btw. dean,sorry for hosting it publicly, i did remove it after you asked me to, but how do I host it privately on flickr?

Later
Chebs
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Dec 8 2009, 03:59 PM) *
even if it is a shitty shot... tongue.gif
Just kidding, I actually think it's a pretty cool shot!
btw. dean,sorry for hosting it publicly, i did remove it after you asked me to, but how do I host it privately on flickr?

Later

Cheeky git Raspberry.gif

No worries, before commiting to upload there are a couple of options for uploading the pic. Choose private.

OR, once uploaded, you chan change the settings. Below the photo to the right, where the EXIF link is, is a green box which says " Anyone can see this photo (edit)".

Click on that and choose private.

QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Dec 8 2009, 03:59 PM) *
I agree with Konrad, the point of this thread is not to do as so many have done and:" Oh , here's a quick 10 min edit that I did". No, the reason Dean set the timeline till next week and not later today is so that people can actually do some proper PP on the shot. So come on guys, try do it justice

Defo! I haven't seen a bird in the sky yet (if I do, I swear I'll punch myself in the face), I'm surprised nobody has dropped in a new sky or removed the hedge!!
CarCreative
any chance of a link to the original file, dean?

cheers
Konrad Janicki
QUOTE(John Renna @ Dec 8 2009, 08:56 AM) *
After comparing the edits, on a few of them the car is very flat (mine included). What technique do some of you other guys use to go about bumping the saturation in the car without making it flat?

try setting up every thing how you would like to have the background for the 1 layer and the 2 layer only for the car - thats how I didi it

QUOTE(//deanphoto @ Dec 8 2009, 09:19 AM) *
I'm surprised nobody has dropped in a new sky or removed the hedge!!

maybe everyone likes it how it was shot smile.gif I'm not doing it becouse I'm not so good in photoshop but will see maybe I will change the image
d.tek
lol mackey just owned all of us sad.gif
mackey
QUOTE(d.tek @ Dec 8 2009, 10:00 AM) *

my bad whistle.gif
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(d.tek @ Dec 8 2009, 10:00 AM) *

Nah I think Fabio or N1smo are the best at this point. Just an idea moving forward - we should set some ground rules. IMO changing out the background isn't really "editing" the photo, it's completely changing it. I mean if I had a studio shot of an R8 and a crazy background and I used just the wheels from this shot that isn't really editing the image is it? I thought this was supposed to be something with an even playing field for everyone to work with... just a thought...
mackey
QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Dec 8 2009, 10:40 AM) *
Nah I think Fabio or N1smo are the best at this point. Just an idea moving forward - we should set some ground rules. IMO changing out the background isn't really "editing" the photo, it's completely changing it. I mean if I had a studio shot of an R8 and a crazy background and I used just the wheels from this shot that isn't really editing the image is it? I thought this was supposed to be something with an even playing field for everyone to work with... just a thought...

If that was the case, then it should have been noted, there are extremes in every case. If they want standard editing, then I can redo mine entry.
tonymophoto.com
Yeah are we sticking with the original rules or what?

Because I was certainly going to change skies when I started on mine tonight.
Timr
Yeah... I would like to also re do my entry. I was to oblivious to realize its an awd car head.gif Probably the most idiotic thing I've done ever. Also I feel out of place I should have done more professional pp. I was just trying to have fun with it and do something ive never done before whistle.gif
Dean could that R8 roll all 4 off?
d.tek
i think we're looking to deep into this.

it's meant to be fun and showcase the immense variety of skills and the way each of us perceives the same photo.

ground rules take away the fun i think.
n1smo
So is this a real contest? or just some photoshop showoff?

I really enjoy the idea of just seeing what people can do when mixing an image with photoshop tongue.gif
It was just a matter of time until someone changed the background or at least the sky.
Thought about it myself but was to lazy to mask out the background tongue.gif

But if this is a contest with a winner etc., there should be definitely be some rules.
Something like: ~50%, ~60%, ~70% of the original image must stay unchanged.

Anyway, for now im enjoying other ppl edits wink.gif
DB9
I think it would be hard to judge stuff like 60% of the photo being changed. I think d.tek's right in the fact that its just for fun and shouldn't be taken too seriously. Its dean's shot and competition, so maybe it should be up to him smile.gif
Chebs
It's just for fun, we'll have a poll at the end and see who gets the most votes.

There are no rules on the editing, you can do what you like to it. I personally would like to see what lengths people go to in photoshop to get the look they're after or to make the image as good as it possibly can be, in their own eyes. If that means changing the sky or whatever, then so be it!!

TIMR - It could light up four wheels easily in the wet, and after taking that very photo I left a set of light elevens on the floor. Remember the drivetrain can shuffle pretty much all the power to the rear!!
Chebs
There are some seriously cool edits coming in now!!
n1smo
nike SBs version is sick. I love the edit of the audi. That added light streaks look so real.
Mind sharing how you did it?

I have my winner wink.gif
CarCreative
still haven't had a link or pm so i can play mad.gif
Chebs
QUOTE(CarCreative @ Dec 9 2009, 11:27 AM) *
still haven't had a link or pm so i can play mad.gif

Oooh, stop with the frowny face.

I PM'd everyone that had their name down on the original list, if you PM me I'll happily send you the link smile.gif
Seethegrim
Sheesh, Nike SB upped the ante yo!
tonymophoto.com
I actually dont care for the infrared or extremely high key look. However what he did to the car (minus the white carbon fiber) is nothing short of fantastic.

Oh, and since no one has said it, thanks Dean for the photo smile.gif
Nike SB'd
Hey guys, I'll go into full detail on what I did to the photo when the contest is over smile.gif I'll admit taking such a dark photo and bumping it up that much without the whole thing going to hell or looking totally cheesy was not an easy task. On top of that the fact that most of the foreground and middle background (grass/bushes/trees) were all very similarly colored made it impossible to make a decent calculations mask so everything I did was done manually. It took quite a bit longer to get everything even than I had anticipated.
DB9
Sidenote: Dean, congrats on the explore a few days back. (sunday i think?) It was with the Audi.
Timr
QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Dec 9 2009, 10:50 PM) *
Hey guys, I'll go into full detail on what I did to the photo when the contest is over smile.gif I'll admit taking such a dark photo and bumping it up that much without the whole thing going to hell or looking totally cheesy was not an easy task. On top of that the fact that most of the foreground and middle background (grass/bushes/trees) were all very similarly colored made it impossible to make a decent calculations mask so everything I did was done manually. It took quite a bit longer to get everything even than I had anticipated.

I'll be looking foward to see how you did such a great job.
jrampton
So the comp closes tonight, who will post up the next one ?

I've prob got a few knocking about that i don't mind sharing thumbs_up.gif
GFWilliams
Surely it's the winner of the competition that posts up next week wink.gif
Chebs
QUOTE(GFWilliams @ Dec 14 2009, 01:47 PM) *
Surely it's the winner of the competition that posts up next week wink.gif

Spot on.

Tonight I'll put up a poll and we can see who's won smile.gif
NVphotoman
for the next one...
All entries should be sent in not to be seen by anyone... and a poll should be made and we will pick which ones we like by the number it is posted with.

that way no one will know who edited it till the end.
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(NVphotoman @ Dec 14 2009, 08:11 AM) *
for the next one...
All entries should be sent in not to be seen by anyone... and a poll should be made and we will pick which ones we like by the number it is posted with.

that way no one will know who edited it till the end.

Not a bad idea, my coworker is a moderator on here I can ask if he can set something like that up.
jrampton
QUOTE(//deanphoto @ Dec 14 2009, 01:50 PM) *
Spot on.

Tonight I'll put up a poll and we can see who's won smile.gif

Only prob with the winner posting up the next one is that you'll end up with the same 5 people posting all the time
Konrad Janicki
jrampton - you don't belive in your self or other people that they kan do better tongue.gif It's all about trying your best biggrin.gif

NVphotoman has a good idea smile.gif
GFWilliams
When that becomes a problem, they could nominate a person to have their photo done if they would like.

Would that work? smile.gif
Chebs
QUOTE(jrampton @ Dec 14 2009, 07:29 PM) *
Only prob with the winner posting up the next one is that you'll end up with the same 5 people posting all the time

Hadn't thought of that.

Maybe if they win again, we'll get them to chose the next photographer.
mackey
QUOTE(//deanphoto @ Dec 14 2009, 12:03 PM) *
Hadn't thought of that.

Maybe if they win again, we'll get them to chose the next photographer.

The first "battle" should be a random person posting the pictures via numbers to vote from.

The 2nd battle should be the winner of the first battle posting, keep that trend continuing. Person A wins Battle #1, they can't fight in battle #2, but can in battle #3 since the winner of #2 will be the head of the battle?

What do you think?
Chebs
QUOTE(mackey @ Dec 14 2009, 08:24 PM) *
The first "battle" should be a random person posting the pictures via numbers to vote from.

The 2nd battle should be the winner of the first battle posting, keep that trend continuing. Person A wins Battle #1, they can't fight in battle #2, but can in battle #3 since the winner of #2 will be the head of the battle?

What do you think?

Damn man, that's a little complicated to get my head around on a Monday evening DS_Naughty2.gif (nothing to do with the beer at all, I promise Raspberry.gif )

Sounds good, don't think it's 'right' to exclude the winner from the previous round, maybe they could 'enter' but not be voted on?
Konrad Janicki
keep the winner from #2 in #3 just if it just happens to be the same person then the second person on the podium should give the next shot
Chebs
Guy's,

I can't post a poll for some reason??????? I don't think I have the rights?????

HELP sad.gif
Chebs
Right,

I'm about to post the poll, go to preview post, and there's no poll. Anybody have any ideas???
d.tek
i like the idea of whoever wins provides the next photo, and they cannot edit the photo, but are eligible for the one after, as mackey said.
tonymophoto.com
QUOTE(mackey @ Dec 14 2009, 12:24 PM) *

What do you think?

Yes, Photo #'s instead of names. I dont want to participate in a popularity contest, because I piss a lot of people off smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.