Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru gets back into rallying
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
moe
After only a one-year hiatus, Subaru is preparing to get back into the rally game next season. And when it does, it won't be back into the World Rally Championship, but rather the rival Intercontinental Rally Challenge.

The Japanese automaker has competed in the IRC since its inception and even won the very first IRC stage in 2007 but was not previously registered as an official manufacturer in the series. Rather than field its own works team, however, Subaru will supply cars to privateers, but will be eligible to score points in the manufacturers' standings for 2010.

With the addition of Subaru, that makes eight automakers signed up to compete in the series next year, along with Fiat/Abarth, Honda, Mitsubishi, Peugeot, Proton, Skoda and Volkswagen. Follow the jump for the full press release.

Autoblog
Bjorn
Sounds like an interesting series.
dukenukem
And as usual this series will get no coverage whatsoever in the US.
tune
It got some coverage in the UK, but it was on Eurosport. At the start of the season we had a live stage each day from Monte Carlo, which was really good, but then some rallies didn't seem to be covered at all. I followed the results and picked up the odd highlights package here and there, it was quite interesting and there was more than 2 people fighting for the wins, unlike WRC.

The problem was that some teams weren't doing every round, so it could've been a closer championship battle.

More manufacturers the better though, might bring some better coverage for the series, in the UK at least.
RallyCat909
I like the fact that you are not required to do every round. Makes me think of back in the day when the Japanese teams went out of their way to come up with some Safari monster, also there is more reason for a manufacturer to stick its toe in the water of rallying as opposed to having to commit to a full season.
Jiggly Blubber
So that's where all the manufacturers are...

Every time I'd watch WRC it's nothing but Citroens and Fords.
tune
Hopefully it could provide a springboard for manufacturers looking to try it out and then get into WRC.
Jiggly Blubber
There are a lot of fantastic cars that would be good rally racers. Like my 1st gen Mazda 6s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.