Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What kind of batteries do you use for your Vivitar?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
Martin
Im getting bored with changing batteries all the time. So I'm wondering if some of you have found a better solution for powering them on location? Any type of batterypacks with more longlife power maybe?
Seethegrim
I've given up on Enigizer, Hong Kong Brand, etc.

The best batteries I've got (fast recycle, long lasting, just awesome) are my 2700mA Nickel Metal Hydride Hahnel's. www.hahnel.ie
I've gotten up to 450 pops out of a set of these babies. Compared to my other batteries, they're worth the extra few bucks.
CarCreative
i've heard the sanyo eneloops are pretty good
Seethegrim
Link to the ones I have: linky
The Yank
These look promising. How much do they cost? I don't see a price listed on their website.
Martin
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Dec 8 2009, 04:57 PM) *
I've given up on Enigizer, Hong Kong Brand, etc.

The best batteries I've got (fast recycle, long lasting, just awesome) are my 2700mA Nickel Metal Hydride Hahnel's. www.hahnel.ie
I've gotten up to 450 pops out of a set of these babies. Compared to my other batteries, they're worth the extra few bucks.

450 pops on which strength?
maciek.evo
eneloops are great smile.gif
Seethegrim
QUOTE(The Yank @ Dec 10 2009, 11:24 PM) *
These look promising. How much do they cost? I don't see a price listed on their website.

I get them here in SA for R85 (ZAR) for 4. I guess that works out to be about $11.50 (USD) roughly if you made a direct exchange.

QUOTE(Martin @ Dec 12 2009, 07:38 PM) *
450 pops on which strength?

Varied. From full power to 1/8 power. They seem to last longer when I use them in my Speedlight 430EX than the Vivatars. I don't know if it's just power management or if the Vivatars are more power hungry. But either way, the Hahnel's out perform anything else I've ever tried. I have a serious strobist buddy who won't use anything else other than Hahnel's. And this guy literally has tried every kind available to find the best solution. He's just like that with everything. I always go to him for tech help & advice.
Fishi
just get myself a Powerex Iimedion , its the same type like the Sanyo eneloop but they 100mAh more.
its the same price but i take them because the place didn't have 4pack AA eneloops so far i like them.
speedyK
QUOTE(maciek.evo @ Dec 15 2009, 12:01 PM) *
eneloops are great smile.gif

That's what I thought too.

But after perhaps 30-50 recharges in an Energizer 15 minute charger, I now have problems.

Last time I left them to charge and did not, as I usually do, remove them from the charger soon after charging was completed, but only after several hours. They show full charge on a battery conditioner. When I put tzhem in the camera (Canon A650 IS) , they work normally for a minute or so before the camera flashes a red battery warning light and shuts down... huh.gif
Fishi
the LSD batteries have problem with non smart chargers , when you charge them with more then they need they loose life.
the other thing is that slow charge is much better then fast charge
Martin
Noone that knows about any external batterypacks?
Seethegrim
QUOTE(Martin @ Dec 27 2009, 12:15 PM) *
Noone that knows about any external batterypacks?

I guess it could be done. I vaguely remember someone who had made their own battery packs from battery cells (9V's I think) for their flashes. Each flash then had a power unit for it. I just can't remember who did it though, but I know they were here on DS.
trackdemon
QUOTE(Seethegrim @ Dec 27 2009, 02:36 AM) *
I guess it could be done. I vaguely remember someone who had made their own battery packs from battery cells (9V's I think) for their flashes. Each flash then had a power unit for it. I just can't remember who did it though, but I know they were here on DS.

Dean!!!

Personally I use rechargeable's and just juice them up post-shoot. Always carry spare charged & standard's too.
Martin
So I think I'm going for this solution: http://www.comatosed.ca/writing/writing/re...ttery_Pack.html
I'll order some stuff and get back with the result later!
Martin
So I've just finished my new external battery pack for testing. And it works really great so far.
What I did different to the guide posted above:
- Bigger battery, 6V 12 Ah (I have no idea why these guys recomend not to go over 4 Ah, because what I can see the Ah doesn't effect that at all, only lasting longer)
- Did a adapter instead of breaking the original batterypack
- Added a 7,5A fuse just in case. The flash needs approx 6A to load when I tested with a battery charger.

I'll test it out some days now and the start massproducing for all my flashes. smile.gif I'm also buying 4,5 Ah batteries and a fannypack for more portable use (as striplighting with softbox etc), as the 12 Ah weighs about 2,5 kilo.
Costas
If you want to be able to shoot full power with AA batteries and have a recycle time of just a little bit more than a second.. look into this
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-n...tning-fast.html

pretty awesome if you ask me. but for what we do, recycle time isn't too critical as is the overall life of them.
Martin
QUOTE(Costas @ Jan 7 2010, 08:05 AM) *
but for what we do, recycle time isn't too critical as is the overall life of them.

Exactly! I've so far popped about 50 shots at full power with no powerloss at all, if it was my regular source they would be stonedead by now so mission accomplished. But I think there's a lot more pops before I even have to think about recharging.
Starting to build adapters to the other flashes also and I will post some pics also later on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.