Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The most overasked question....
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
abbozzo
So I have had a bit of a clear out of the old kit, and I'm left asking the question what lens to get next...

I have a 50D and after getting rid of some redundant glass I have decided to hold onto my 50mm f1.8 MK1, and a 70-210 f4.

There is a bit of a glaring hole in my lineup, I don't have anything wide. I tend to shoot people, indoors and 'street' style. Plus I enjoy the odd landscape, so something fast and wide is the order of the day.

I love my primes, so was looking at the Sigma 30mm 1.4. I know its not super wide, but it is fast. As my 50mm is whats on my camera 90% of the time i think it would be a good move, I'm happy to move myself to get the composition I want rather than zoom - but worry i might miss out on the really wide end for some landscape action. The Tamron 17 - 55 f2.8 has had good right ups.

What would other people choose i'm on a bit of a budget the Sigma 30 is probably the top end - am i restricting myself not getting something to cover the wide end, or should I get the 30, enjoy it whilst saving for a decent wide lens (eg Canon 17-55 2.8 IS?), or get a lower quality "walk about" lens like the Tamron?

Make my wallet cry and give me some options smile.gif
Martin
I don't want to comment on the primes your talking about since I haven't tried them.
I've only tried Tamron AF SP 17-50/2,8 XR Di-II, but I think its a great lens. Extremely sharp! So I think I'd choose a Tamron 17-50 one if the IS on the canon wasn't a big issue. And as far as I can see the Tamron is priced pretty close to the Sigma 30.
abbozzo
Cheers Martin. Yeah that was the Tamron lens i was looking at. It is about the same price as the sigma. I have used a friends 30mm, and loved the speed; 1.4 is addictive, especially when the photos stay that sharp. I am sorely tempted with the Tamron as 2.8 is still reasonably fast, and i'm getting a much greater range.

How do you find the build quality, and focus speed? Is the Auto focus very noisy?
Martin
QUOTE(abbozzo @ Nov 29 2009, 07:03 PM) *
Cheers Martin. Yeah that was the Tamron lens i was looking at. It is about the same price as the sigma. I have used a friends 30mm, and loved the speed; 1.4 is addictive, especially when the photos stay that sharp. I am sorely tempted with the Tamron as 2.8 is still reasonably fast, and i'm getting a much greater range.

How do you find the build quality, and focus speed? Is the Auto focus very noisy?

I borrowed it from my friend a couple of days. The building quality feels about the same as sigma lenses, but I prefer the tamron anyway. I have no good experience of sigma lenses so far.
The AF sound and speed isn't something I remember I'm afraid.

Maybe the 30 1,4 is more of a longterm choice, there's no reason to upgrade a prime lens of that caliber in the same way as swapping a Tamron 17-50 for a Canon L lens for example.
abbozzo
Ok cheers. I think your right about the long term choice. I'll probably get the tamron to start and cover that end of things, then save for some good upgrades around spring time, possibly the Tamron will live longer than that if things go well. I hope they do the Tamron has a pretty good reputation, I've had some sigmas in the past, they have been ok, nothing spectacular and nothing bad. But the 30 was an exception - great lens. Thanks for your help.
Martin
QUOTE(abbozzo @ Dec 1 2009, 01:24 AM) *
Ok cheers. I think your right about the long term choice. I'll probably get the tamron to start and cover that end of things, then save for some good upgrades around spring time, possibly the Tamron will live longer than that if things go well. I hope they do the Tamron has a pretty good reputation, I've had some sigmas in the past, they have been ok, nothing spectacular and nothing bad. But the 30 was an exception - great lens. Thanks for your help.

Any plans on going over to fullframe that needs to be considered?
The Tamron performs great images that I think can compete with the L-zooms with the price in mind.
abbozzo
I can't see myself going to full frame for a while, or even ever. I don't do photography for a living, its just a big hobby and the cropped sensor isn't really a problem, it keeps the size and the weight down when I'm out. I know the Tamron will only work on cropped sensor, but I figure when I come to upgrade the body in a couple of years I will be able to re-evaluate what my kit is and make a decision based on what is out at the time. smile.gif
Diesel
i like my Tamron 17-50, but the version i have is labeled as Promaster. It's the exact same lens, but it's cheaper. Too bad they don't make it anymore, but if you can find one used, i highly recommend it.
TW0R
Remember there is always photoshop/autopanp/hugin for landscapes. Ive shot all my landscapes with a kit lens and then stitched them all together and resized them. So there's that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.