Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Crash that Changed Racing Forever
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Alt.Binaries
Dr. Strangelove

The 1955 Le Mans crash.

I've known about the incident for a while, but have never seen the accident before. It really is horrible.
Easton
It really is bad, mainly because of the number of deaths. 79 deaths or something??

But on a different note, the black and white video, old school voice over and dodgy background music makes it seem like an unbelievable B-grade ancient horror movie.
MustangAficionado
But the Brit's won, Jolly Good
OHirtenfelder
It is kinda scary to the the speed with which those pieces of wreckage hit the crowd. Madness!

On a similar note, here is another crash that had to do (somewhat) with the death of Group B rallying, also pretty crazy!

RallyCat909
The final blow to GrpB was the violent death of Henri Toivonen and co-driver Sergio Cresto on the 1986 Tour De Corse rally in Corsica, France. Ironically enough the last time a GrpB machine took a WRC stage at competition level was in Oregon on the Olympus Rally in the US.
Indiaman
I remember reading about the crash in the papers-I was 17 yrs old then- never saw any pictures of the crash until now.
Razor
QUOTE(Indiaman @ Mar 7 2010, 03:21 PM) *
I remember reading about the crash in the papers-I was 17 yrs old then- never saw any pictures of the crash until now.

Welcome, DS' oldest member! 70 years old?
SwissWhiskey
The reason why Switzerland had auto racing banned till 2007... I love our country...

Group B drivers always knew if something went wrong it could end up in death pretty quick. To be honest Group B should of continued, F1 continued after 2 (almost 3) deaths at Imola in 1994.
The Unibomber
79 people!? That is horrible. I never knew about this.
TW0R
I was not expecting that at all. Crazy.
Dr. Strangelove
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Nov 21 2009, 12:34 AM) *
But the Brit's won, Jolly Good

This really made me laugh.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.