Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GTR vs. GT500. which would go in your garage?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Pages: 1, 2
Diesel
So.. you have enough money to buy either car. Which would you rather have? a throaty V8 with the "inferior" suspension, or a Turbo V6 with all all the GTR's whizzbang goodies?
clarkma5
I don't care for the GT-R, and they're basically $80k (if you can get one for sticker). I'll take the 2010 Shelby GT500 for sure. They're supposed to be excellent, and I like the new Mustang in general.
dukenukem
I would take a GT500 over the new GTR any day. For one it looks heck of a lot sharper than the GTR and I just love the way the V8 sounds.
Aircooled
Both too slow, I'd get an R500, and you guys can eat my dust.
MustangAficionado
I voted GTR...
moe
The thread title says GTV, I thought I'd be voting for an Alfa. With this set, I'd have to go with the GT-R.
OHirtenfelder
GTR.
For the sole reason that I've driven the GTR and there really is NOTHING that can come close to it in terms of bang 4 buck performance. It is a very clinical car in that it can do everything for you. You can be a really shitty driver and still go really fast in it around a track. It really is a fuckin firecracker!
Razor
I'll take engineering and design superiority, thanks.
Jiggly Blubber
QUOTE(Razor @ Nov 21 2009, 02:45 PM) *
I'll take engineering and design superiority, thanks.

I hope you don't mean exterior design
Razor
QUOTE(Jiggly Blubber @ Nov 21 2009, 04:05 PM) *
I hope you don't mean exterior design

Performance design, but I'm one of the rare few who do actually find the GT-R attractive in a Japanese robot sort of way.
moe
The only reason I'd take the Shelby over the GT-R is because I like cars with character, and it has an abundance of it. In every other respect though, the GT-R batters it. I happen to think the ultra-modern design of the GT-R is a lot nicer than the retro Shelby.
Jiggly Blubber
QUOTE(Razor @ Nov 21 2009, 04:08 PM) *
Performance design, but I'm one of the rare few who do actually find the GT-R attractive in a Japanese robot sort of way.

The whole thing could use some sizing down though.
Razor
QUOTE(Jiggly Blubber @ Nov 21 2009, 05:45 PM) *
The whole thing could use some sizing down though.

What about your obnoxiously large phallus in Dubai?
moe
^ Wrong guy, wrong comment?
Jiggly Blubber
QUOTE(Razor @ Nov 21 2009, 05:49 PM) *
What about your obnoxiously large phallus in Dubai?

Yes but that's justified. There's no need for a sports car to be 2 tons.

And nice one Moe.
clarkma5
Yeah the GT-R is a massive car...I'm seeing them everywhere these days and they're about 20% oversized. So's the Mustang...but I still like it more, and it's cheaper to the point where you don't feel the need to be as picky as such things. I cannot see buying a GT-R when you can get a 911 Carrera for similar dough (if you're careful with the options list)...sure it's down 140 HP on the GT-R, but it's also down the better part of 700 pounds and it's the right size. Not like I care about the difference between 0-60 in the mid 4s and 0-60 in the high 3s...you couldn't call either one slow.
MustangAficionado
I chose the GTR because i can build a car exactly like the GT500 for $20k. I mean the real appeal of the GT500 over the GTR is its bread, easy modibility - not really interior. But i can build a mustang and it'd be just like the GT500 in every category except a little better in each outside interior, and it'd be $20-25k. I and basically no one could do that with a GTR.
dukenukem
Would it come with standard warranty?
clarkma5
I see a big difference between an older mustang built up to GT500 levels of performance and a new factory 2010 GT500...even if they put down the same performance numbers and are both good fun to drive, the OEM one will have a ergonomic correctness, general level of comfort, and oneness of its controls that cannot be matched by a modified older Mustang...and that all comes down to how well Ford has done with the latest Mustang, compared to a Mustang from a decade ago it's a hundred times improved IMO.

The old mustang would be probably more hardcore and more of a demon to drive, but that doesn't seem to me to be the goal of this poll.
fiber optic
GT500
Halflifehavock13
I honestly don't know which one I'd choose. If it were right now, I'd choose the GTR in a heart beat because it's the fastest. However I think that as I get older and actually get around to driving fast cars, fast just for the sake of being fast loses its appeal.
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Nov 21 2009, 04:57 PM) *
I see a big difference between an older mustang built up to GT500 levels of performance and a new factory 2010 GT500...even if they put down the same performance numbers and are both good fun to drive, the OEM one will have a ergonomic correctness, general level of comfort, and oneness of its controls that cannot be matched by a modified older Mustang...and that all comes down to how well Ford has done with the latest Mustang, compared to a Mustang from a decade ago it's a hundred times improved IMO.

The old mustang would be probably more hardcore and more of a demon to drive, but that doesn't seem to me to be the goal of this poll.

Ergonomic correctness? While i'm sure stock vs stock you have a grounded point, you don't really know what you're talking about. As soon as you put on coil overs and a panhard bar on a fox chassis it's more of a road handler already. I mean, what else are you refering to when you say "hundred times improved," then? Coil-overs have the capacity to be more comfortable than stock spring and shock set-up anyways. If you're concerned about interior and ride comfort (1stly why you buying a GT500, then?) then there's still a point. But I can seriously make you a Sn95 GT500 for 18-22k and a S197 GT500 for $30k. Blown 5.4, 6 speed, same road feel yet better handling.

I guess my whole point is a GT500 which is such a better mustang than the others because its modular engine that fits in all them makes a lot of power like so many do already, and it handles because they changed the suspension like every one already does. It's not really something that's unique for me, and once you owned a GT500 you'd find that it isn't.
Razor
QUOTE(Jiggly Blubber @ Nov 21 2009, 06:42 PM) *
Yes but that's justified. There's no need for a sports car to be 2 tons.

Sure doesn't move like it weighs that much, so I only marvel at how they did that even more as a result.
clarkma5
QUOTE('Wikipedia')
Ergonomics is the science of designing the job, equipment, and workplace to fit the worker. Proper ergonomic design is necessary to prevent repetitive strain injuries, which can develop over time and can lead to long-term disability.

I was talking about interior comfort for the driver in terms of seating position and relative amounts of effort between inputs...IMO the SN95-based cars, New Edge and otherwise, are a disaster in that respect. The new ones are much improved.
speedyK
"which would go in your garage?"

Not "would", for me it's "will"!

Sold my Exige Cup and now my 300ZX TwinTurbo*.

Next to sell is the DB7 V12 Vantage and then I will have Godzilla hopefully next spring and hopefully an Ultimate Metallic silver Black edition

but I may not be able to resist another colour...

* a '93 model bought it in 2000. Never had any issues with it. Rock solid, everything is well-designed and still works perfectly. The amazing design and build quality of this car is what convinced me that the GT-R is not only a performance bargain thumbs_up.gif
Synesthesia
The GTR may not be my favorite car, but it is an epic, game-changing car. The GT500 is just another fast Mustang.
Jiggly Blubber
QUOTE(Razor @ Nov 22 2009, 03:54 AM) *
Sure doesn't move like it weighs that much, so I only marvel at how they did that even more as a result.

I know but imagine how much better it'd be with 500 lbs taken off.
Razor
QUOTE(Jiggly Blubber @ Nov 22 2009, 01:12 PM) *
I know but imagine how much better it'd be with 500 lbs taken off.

I don't think that's a realistic goal, 500 lbs off of what it is now... that thing would have to be absolutely bare bones, and then it's useless as an at least somewhat practical road car.
moe
Get rid of that awesome screen thing in the center, strip off all the leather covering the interior, reduce sound deadening, CF hood & trunk, rip out the rear seats, lighter front seats, lighter wheels, and junk the transmission for a conventional manual. It won't save you 500lbs, but it'll still be completely practical and usable, while being usefully lighter.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 22 2009, 03:36 PM) *
Get rid of that awesome screen thing in the center, strip off all the leather covering the interior, reduce sound deadening, CF hood & trunk, rip out the rear seats, lighter front seats, lighter wheels, and junk the transmission for a conventional manual. It won't save you 500lbs, but it'll still be completely practical and usable, while being usefully lighter.

I like everything there but the transmission idea, obviously, the point of this car is to be technologically advanced. But otherwise, yeah, I think that was the point of the proposed V-Spec version.
moe
Technology has its place, no doubt. I still think that many manufacturers are ignoring the wants of the enthusiast by doing away with the manual altogether. That includes the GT-R, Scuderia, the 458, Boxster Spyder, and the new McLaren. I find it completely unacceptable that a car geared towards serious drivers doesn't even offer the option of a manual.
clarkma5
moe, it's all down to the fact that they can get superior fuel economy and lower emissions from this latest generation of automatics/robotized manuals/dual-clutch gearboxes...it's a reaction to the current/incoming regulatory environment, I'm sad to say.
infinity
GTR hands down
speedyK
Guys, I grew up driving my mum's manual car and my dad's auto car but, with my own cars, there was only ever manual as long as there was a choice even my first 3 Range Rovers were manual. I only changed to auto for the 4th Range Rover because they no longer offered a manual V8 version.

And I love snicking my Pug 106GTI up and down the 5-speed box it is fantastic as was that of my Opel Speedster. Yet I've also had bad manuals.

And, having test driven the GT-R, I can say that I love the twin clutch paddle set up. Instant reaction to your (fingertip) command. It works perfectly and has nothing to do with the traditional slush box autos.

Don't knock it till you've tried it! thumbs_up.gif
Razor
QUOTE(speedyK @ Nov 22 2009, 04:40 PM) *
Guys, I grew up driving my mum's manual car and my dad's auto car but, with my own cars, there was only ever manual as long as there was a choice even my first 3 Range Rovers were manual. I only changed to auto for the 4th Range Rover because they no longer offered a manual V8 version.

And I love snicking my Pug 106GTI up and down the 5-speed box it is fantastic as was that of my Opel Speedster. Yet I've also had bad manuals.

And, having test driven the GT-R, I can say that I love the twin clutch paddle set up. Instant reaction to your (fingertip) command. It works perfectly and has nothing to do with the traditional slush box autos.

Don't knock it till you've tried it! thumbs_up.gif

Amen.
moe
I'm not knocking it, I'm wholly accepting of newer clutchless transmissions, but I still think the option should be offered. I can't see myself ticking the box to have someone deliver me a car with one peddle missing.

For the record, I've driven some truly terrible manuals ('90 Subaru J10, '90s Chevy Cavalier, '98 Camry, '03 Corolla).
clarkma5
Yeah I'm really just a fan of the choice...I've driven a DSG in an Audi (granted, not quite Nissan GT-R level). It was very impressive, smooth, quick, and all that...but it still lacked the connectivity of a manual. I have yet to find a replacement for that. I'll keep my eyes open for it but I'm skeptical until I find it.

For what it's worth, I think there are a handful of cars where the use of a dual-clutch or single-clutch automanual really fits the character of the machine over the use of a manual (like the old V12 Vantage and the Maserati Gransport...two cars I couldn't ever justify spending money on but I have a genuine soft spot for)...so I'm not manual or death. It's just that those cars where I find the application of a flappy paddle to be appropriate are cars that aren't quite what I want them to be, so I'm not interested in owning them. The GT-R definitely fits into that character...a GT-R with a 6-speed actually sounds like a rather odd proposition to me, the car seems like a great application of the double-clutch. But I don't like the car overall, so what transmission is in it becomes a rather moot point.
BlackJack
I'd take the GTR in a heartbeat. I cringe everytime I see one.
Jiggly Blubber
QUOTE(BlackJack @ Nov 22 2009, 10:05 PM) *
I'd take the GTR in a heartbeat. I cringe everytime I see one.

Cuz it's so ugly lolrite? dance.gif
moe
Ya know, maybe I would take the Shelby over the GT-R. I keep thinking it'd be more fun to drive.
fiber optic
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 23 2009, 02:50 AM) *
Ya know, maybe I would take the Shelby over the GT-R. I keep thinking it'd be more fun to drive.

That is of course if you actually want to drive a car, if you'd rather just play XBOX then the GTR may be the better choice.
Aircooled
I see what fiber's going for, if you want a car that gives you the fastest times and thats almost as easy to drive as if you were on your couch play game. But the question is, is that fun? I think not. I keep my vote on the R500, as it is a complete ultimate driver car.
MustangAficionado
GT500 is more fun. But if someone parked both in front of me and told me i could drive one away no strings, it'd be the GTR. I just know exactly what the GT500 is going to offer and feel like. Aka awesome, but still, the GT500 doesnt have a monopoly on that feel - even amongst OEM platforms.
fiber optic
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Nov 23 2009, 08:27 PM) *
GT500 is more fun. But if someone parked both in front of me and told me i could drive one away no strings, it'd be the GTR. I just know exactly what the GT500 is going to offer and feel like. Aka awesome, but still, the GT500 doesnt have a monopoly on that feel - even amongst OEM platforms.

The premise was that you had enough money to buy either. I assumed it meant I had 80 large since that's how much the GTR stickers for. If I'm spending my own money and had to purchase either of the two I don't think I could bring myself to burn the extra coin on the Nissan. I could buy the GT500 and spend the leftovers on a regular Mustang GT. Or 10,000 gallons of gas. Or quite a lot of hookers and blow. A good amount of college tuition. Or a sweet workshop addition to the house. Or a small percentage of the ammo bill for a Dillon mini-gun.
OHirtenfelder
How do people that have not driven these cars jump to the conclusion that one car IS or ISNT more fun than the other? Just wondering? I have driven the GTR a few times and it is FUN AS FUCK! And I'm not saying that cause I haven't driven other fast/fun/performance cars. I have. I drive all sorts of top top top end stuff on a monthly basis, and the GTR is really one of the funnest cars that I have ever driven. It behaves nothing like an AWD car, except in its absolutely IMMENSE levels of grip. Other than that (if you want) it is very very RW biased and drives like a RWD car.
Also, performance wise, one simply cannot compare the GTR to a Carrera of any sorts. If you're going to compare it to a Porsche, it's the GT3 RS or GT2 that you can compare it to. The GTR is FUCKING QUICK off the line, but the car is about soooooo much more than just straight line performance.
And if you're looking at it like that, the GTR is also a proper bargain. The GT2 ( 1 second faster around Kyamlami) costs more than twice what the GTR retails for.
I haven't driven the Mustang, so I can't comment on that, but no one can say the GTR is not fun unless you have actually driven and experienced it, and have really come away from it unhappy, which I highly doubt.
moe
^ No one said the GT-R isn't fun, it's just really clinical and doesn't exude the same sense of fun to the armchair enthusiast as the Shelby. When I think of driving the Shelby, I think about V8 burnouts, and hairy powerslides. When I think about the GT-R, it's about setting a really fast lap relatively easily. I guess it's more about the image factor here.
speedyK
QUOTE(moe @ Nov 24 2009, 03:00 PM) *
^ No one said the GT-R isn't fun, it's just really clinical and doesn't exude the same sense of fun

erm... I hope you'v actually driven the GT-R, or you're doing exactly what OHirtenfelder was on about!

I have driven the GT-R and it is IS fun!

Also, just a cursory read of GT-R tests will tell you that the car feels very "analogue", very "visceral", very "alive". In other words, it's such a great driving machine that there is danger of permanently disfiguring yourself with a grin from ear to ear thumbs_up.gif
moe
^ Like I said Speedy is about perceptions. Something about the GT-R and all its high-tech toys makes me think it'd be really clinical. The GT500 and its old school machoism makes me believe it'd be rawer and more fun. It could be the furthest thing from the truth, but that's what perception leads me to believe.
speedyK
Believe me, you're wrong!

Behind the wheel, the GT-R feels incredibly solid, alive and ready for action and when you put your foot down it delivers instantly thumbs_up.gif
moe
^ Well I could argue that you've probably never driven the GT500. However, I think you've missed my point. I never stated at any point that the GT-R wasn't fun, in fact I voted for it here. I was simply justifying why others (who haven't driven either car) may believe the GT500 is more fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.