Campos - Senna & Meldonado?
Virgin/Manor - Glock & di Grassi
Lotus - Kovalainen & Trulli
Sauber - Kobayashi & De La Rosa
STEFAN GP? - R. Schumacher? & Nakajima?

Bold indicates confirmed.

Updated: 4/1/10
clarkma5
Rosberg's gonna be at Brawn or McLaren, 99% sure (probably Brawn). Button will almost certainly stay with Brawn as well. My expected 2010 driver line-up thus far:

Ferrari - Alonso & Massa
McLaren - Hamilton & Raikkonen
Brawn - Button & Rosberg
Red Bull - Vettel & Webber
Williams - Barrichello & Hulkenburg
Renault - Kubica & Glock
Toyota - Kovaleinen & Kobayashi

I think these top 7 teams are pretty well sorted...not everyone's confirmed, but this is the most likely setup amongst these teams as far as I can tell. The rest are trickier though, more oppurtunities for movement so these are more like educated guesses than anything else.

Force India - Liuzzi & Sutil
STR - Buemi & Alguersuari
USF1 - De La Rosa & Wurz
Campos - Senna &
Manor - Soucek &
Lotus - ? & ?

Soucek (2009 F2 champion) is a total guess at Manor, he's probably gonna end up in one of the new teams but my guess is Manor because where on earth have they been in the news? The biggest name left out, in my mind, is Heidfeld, he's gonna have to end up somewhere (maybe back with Sauber Ferrari if they get a grid spot, otherwise I don't know). It's pretty commonly agreed that Nakajima will probably not have a drive next year. There's also talk of the return of Christian Klien and Takuma Sato...they could slot in somewhere, again, probably in one of the new teams.
moe
Heidfeld is still a pretty good driver that's up for grabs. If I were Lotus (or any of the other teams for that matter), I'd be hunting him down. I've heard Campos wants Piquet, but I think that was a publicity stunt by Mosley more than anything else.

The Brawn line-up is pretty awesome. I'm a Button fanboy already, and I've always thought Rosberg was pretty good as well.
tune
They were saying this weekend that Heidfeld is being linked with Lotus, along with Sato I think, or that may have been Manor for Sato.

Rosberg is contracted to drive for Mercedes at the moment, so that narrows his options, but it's already been narrowed to McLaren and Brawn.

I like Rosberg, but would love to have Raikkonen at Brawn. Only thing is he would definitely be challenging Button, whereas Rosberg might not be so threatening all the time, he certainly has pace though!

I'm sad Barrichello left, not sure why he did really, apparently the team wanted him to stay and he wanted to stay, so what's the story?!

I hope the stalling of Button's contract is not a reflection on arrogance creeping back in. After his first race win, some people in the team found him unbearable and I think the following years brought him firmly back down to Earth. Let's see how it plays out, but from what I hear he's not as personable as Rubens was in the garage with the team.
Bjorn
My assumption is that Barrichello left because he wanted to be the team principal in his twilight years. The poor bastard has been the #2 driver for more than a decade now, despite being a solid performer, and I can't blame him for wanting to have the red winglet on top of his car for a while before he retires.

I think he'll be good for Williams, Patrick Head is a great engineer, and Barrichello should be able to work with him rather nicely to develop a great car.
moe
Wow, whichever way it breaks down, Brawn's 2010 lineup is going to be insane. I've heard rumors that Toyota may be pulling out at the end of the season...which means Kobayashi may be out of a job as soon as he got one. He admitted if he doesn't get an F1 drive, he doesn't have the funds to keep racing, and would probably go back to work at his dad's sushi restaurant. That would be sad.
clarkma5
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80002

Rumble rumble rumble...poor Kobayashi and...Kovaleinen?
moe
2010 driver market according to F1 Live

Also, Hamilton and his dad say they're down with Raikkonen rejoining McLaren.

Regarding Toyota pulling out, I think Kobayashi is out of luck, but I think one of the new teams might still pick up Kovaleinen.
moe
Button could go to McLaren, unless Brawn agrees to give him the raise he wants. I really don't want to see him leave Brawn, but the prospect of him racing alongside Hamilton is interesting.
Bjorn
Jalopnik is reporting that Kimi Raikkonen is leaving F1 for rallying. Story is pretty light on sources and details ATM.
clarkma5
Raikkonen sabbatical: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80187

Not really an issue of "leaving for rally", though he may use rally to fill his off-year from F1.

Button officially at McLaren next year: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80197
Dr. Strangelove
What a different sport we will have next year...
duality
Button at McLaren - me like.
moe
QUOTE(duality @ Nov 18 2009, 10:28 PM) *
Button at McLaren - me like.

Me too, lets be friends.

Also Glock's gone to Manor and Trulli's looking like a likely candidate for Lotus. In addition, Lotus has already signed one driver...though they won't tell anyone who it is. My money's on Malaysian driver Fairuz Fauzy.
duality
and what happens to the other Heiki? out of a job...?
Dr. Strangelove
How many times in the past has a driver won the championship and then split.?
duality
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Nov 18 2009, 01:16 PM) *

i doubt that Button's reasons for moving are purely financial. McLaren is a more alluring team than Brawn imo. Lewis had only 1 mechanical faliure this year; besides a solid car, McLaren has more to offer to him.
moe
I'd say these are strange circumstances. Over the last year, the world of F1 was turned on its head, leading to an underdog team taking the championship. What guarantee is there that Brawn will be just as competent in the future? How's the fact that Mercedes controls the team going to effect their performance?

McLaren may have had a bad season, but throughout their history they've consistently been a top tier team. A storied team with consistent performance, and a higher salary? I think Button made the right choice.
duality
add more to the speculation..probably won't happen.

Schuey linked to Merc F1 drive
moe
^ Maybe they mean Ralf.
Dr. Strangelove
Wouldn't happen. He said he won't drive for anyone but Ferrari.
skr
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Nov 18 2009, 12:16 PM) *

Does Alonso winning in 2006 then leaving for McLaren for 2007 count?
duality
QUOTE(skr @ Nov 18 2009, 04:29 PM) *
Does Alonso winning in 2006 then leaving for McLaren for 2007 count?

o epic forget fail for me.
moe
Apparently Button was offered more to stay at Brawn, than he is going to make at McLaren. Story's at F1 Live.
duality
I don't think that it was a financial issue," Fry told AUTOSPORT. "We understand that our offer to Jenson may well have been in excess of what he might be getting with McLaren.

..."Clearly, loyalty would be nice but in this day and age you don't expect too much of that. I'm always happy when any employee leaves our company if I think that they've made the right decision and they are going to a better job and they always go with our blessing if that is the situation.

"In this situation, we don't understand the logic of the decision and I think Jenson is going to have to up his game if he's going to beat Lewis on home territory."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80207
Dr. Strangelove
Oh snap! I didn't see that coming.
skr
"It was 100 per cent my choice. For me, the move is because it's going to be a huge challenge to go up against Lewis in his environment. My goal since I was eight years old has been to win the world title, and I've done that now. Now I feel I need a new challenge."

The Briton denied the decision had been motivated by financial issues.

"No. I'm earning less than I would have at Brawn. I didn't move for money and everyone knows it. It's something new for me. I'll have to work very hard in the new situation I've put myself in, and I intend to do it.

"Of course it's not going to be easy, but I'm very excited about the challenge. I've got to work very hard to achieve what I want to achieve."

So the truth comes out. Button was being selfish for the RIGHT reasons, and for less money.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80230
moe
Emerson Fittipaldi, James Hunt, Niki Lauda, Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna and Lewis Hamilton.

Just remember those names, particularly when somebody mentions that Jenson Button has made the wrong decision in signing to drive for McLaren.

All these motor racing legends won world championship crowns at the wheel of a succession of highly competitive McLaren creations over the past three decades.

And yet, this will be no magic carpet ride for the 2009 world champion. Jackie Stewart is right when he says that he’ll have a hard time getting his feet under the table in a team which Hamilton has very much made his own.

Hell, Lewis even managed to send twice world champ Fernando Alonso packing at the end of a 2007 season brimful of personal enmity. And this, don’t forget, was in Lewis's very first F1 campaign.

It will be different for Button. A decade of largely fruitless F1 endeavour has left him more battle hardened that almost any of his contemporaries. He also has the ideal demeanour – calm, controlled and measured – to handle Hamilton out on the circuit.

This will be a closely-matched contest which raises memories of Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna in 1988 and 89. But without the relentlessly tense and unpleasant edge.

Source: Alan Henry, at Autocar.

I think that's an interesting viewpoint. Everyone else seems to be saying, "Button you stupid n00b, Hamilton is going to annihilate you."
tune
I think Hamilton on his day would be better than Button, but then I suppose if Hamilton is under pressure, Button is much better at keeping his head on the race track.
moe
QUOTE(tune @ Nov 20 2009, 05:00 PM) *
I think Hamilton on his day would be better than Button, but then I suppose if Hamilton is under pressure, Button is much better at keeping his head on the race track.

I'll agree with that. On a good day, Hamilton is definitely faster but Button is better at staying composed under fire, and is probably more consistent to boot.
duality
I love how Lewis looks pissed/angry/i don't want to be here fuck off, even when he's 3rd. It's all or nothing for him lol.
skr
I remember an episode of Top Gear where Jenson genuinely said he'd trade all of his fortunes for his first win. It would make sense for him to want to go for a much tougher challenge if he was genuinely there to win, and not so much for the money.

I think my money will be on Alonso or Vettel to win this season anyway.
Dr. Strangelove
If Ferrari has the car, which I am sure they will, I think Alonso will run away with the championship. We won't really find out until the first race though.
duality
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport...one/8368107.stm

Watch.

Mercedes want Michael Schumacher to drive in F1 team
skr
Old man EJ saying old man things!
moe
USF1 signed someone, not sure who, but they did.
duality
QUOTE(skr @ Nov 21 2009, 09:36 AM) *
Old man EJ saying old man things!

Michael Schumacherís manager has confirmed the seven-time world champion has held talks with Mercedesí bosses.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/245244/

Let's see how this pans out.
Marien
I was never a fan of Schumacher, but I really like the idea of him coming back and going up against the new generation like Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel. And of course the reigning champion Button
moe
Rosberg's been confirmed for Mercedes.
tune
USF1 signed Jose Maria Lopez. I'd like to be proved wrong, but not sure that he will be that competitive, at least he has F1 experience.

Lopez is a former Renault Formula 1 test driver, and raced in Formula 3000 and GP2 between 2004 and 2006. He took a race win at Catalunya with DAMS in 2005.

He had to return to Argentina after the 2006 season, and has since raced in the popular TC2000 saloon series. He became champion last season and is currently leading the standings going into this year's finale next weekend. Lopez also contested several FIA GT Championship rounds in 2008 as part of the ACA Argentina Ferrari project.
Bjorn
^Now the smart move would be to hire a veteran, who has a history of developing a car. I would love to see Villeneuve back in the sport, but he doesn't always get along well with others. I would love to see Montoya return, but he seems pretty happy in BASCAR, despite Tacogate.
clarkma5
Force India will be keeping Sutil and Liuzzi...I think that's a smart thing given who's available on the market.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80351
Uwe
The rumours about Michael Schumacher as Mercedes driver in 2010 are becoming more and more dense here in Germany. According to several newspapers there is an oral agreement between Schumacher and Haug and only a few papers have to be signed.
clarkma5
It does make sense, what with Ross Brawn still team principal at the new Mercedes GP and Mercedes willing to pay the bucks to really make a splash with their debut season as a full-fledged manufacturer...I was skeptical before but it appears to all be falling into place. I've never been a huge Schumacher fan but I admit it's going to be damned interesting to watch if it happens, and it's going to make the 2010 season hugely popular all over the world.
Marien
Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen will drive for Lotus comming season

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80563

maybe a time for an update of the line-up overview?
moe
Ferrari - Alonso & Massa
McLaren - Hamilton & Button
Mercedes - Rosberg & Schumacher? Heidfeld?
Red Bull - Vettel & Webber
Williams - Barrichello & Hulkenburg
Renault - Kubica & ?
Force India - Liuzzi & Sutil
STR - Buemi & Alguersuari
USF1 - De La Rosa? & Lopez (just missing some sponsorship cash)
Campos - Senna & De La Rosa?
Virgin/Manor - Glock & di Grassi
Lotus - Kovalainen & Trulli
Sauber - Heidfeld? & ?

Bold indicates confirmed.

Shame about this is is that Kobayashi is without a drive. Maybe he'll surface at Renault, USF1, Campos, or Sauber (hopefully Sauber). Even if he doesn't at least Toyota's continuing to sponsor the guy and keep the dream live.
clarkma5
I don't think Kobayashi is in the position financially to go anywhere, sadly.
bobo27
There is more Schumacher rumblings out there...

Ferrari would not stand in the way if Michael Schumacher decided to return to the sport with Mercedes-Benz. Speculation has mounted that the Brackley-based team is close to securing the German on a 1-year deal for its new factory F1 programme next season, in a move that would see the sport's most successful driver return after three years in retirement
GP Update

I am a big fan of this move, how cool would it be to see him in a different car? Not saying its the right move for him, I would just be tremendous for F1!
Bjorn
I'm less thrilled to see MS get back in the driver's seat. Replacing Massa for a few races is one thing, and would hve been very cool, but I think a lot of people forget the assholian nature of MS, and the dickishness he brings with him. Seeing Button, Webber and Vettel shoot the shit after the Abu Dhabi GP was awesome, and a sign that they respected each other on and off the track. MS doesn't have that attitude, IMO.
moe
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Dec 15 2009, 07:57 AM) *
I don't think Kobayashi is in the position financially to go anywhere, sadly.

I remember reading he'd end up working at his dad's sushi restaurant with a drive. Toyota later confirmed that they'd continue to back his career, and I believe Lotus showed interest. I think choosing Kobayashi would've been a ballsy move for Lotus. I have to say, their driver choice was very erm...safe.

The Schumacher rumors will probably prove to be true (thought I think it'd be funny if all this commotion ended up being about Ralf). It's supposed to be a one-year deal from what I've heard, so it's just one big publicity stunt for Mercedes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.