Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yes, another "which camera" thread
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
RaymondN
I need an upgrade. It's no longer a want, but a need, haha. The ISO performance of my XTi is killing me and I've lately been shooting freelance for a local newspaper and they keep assigning me nighttime events - so even at ISO 800 my Rebel's shots are noisy as hell.

I can't afford a 5D Mark II realistically. I could put it on a credit card and slowly pay it off but that's something I really don't want to do.

I'd like to spend around $1k-1500 on a Canon body.

Lenses I have are the EF 50 f/1.8, EF 70-200 2.8 IS, and the EF-S 18-55 IS (which almost never gets used).

I'm considering either the 5D [classic] or the 50D.

If I got the 50D, it'd be new, a few hundred cheaper, and I'd be able to keep borrowing my brother's EF-S 10-22, lol.

If I got the 5D, I'd be getting the full frame sensor I've been lusting for ever since I used one, and better (I think?) high ISO performance. I'd obviously have to pick up a 17-40 L or something for the wide end as well. This would be the more costly option.

Other than the newspaper stuff I primarily shoot automotive stills, and the occasional track day here and there.
mackey
That ISO on the 5D MI isn't as good as you might think, they really didn't do huge improvements until the MII. It might be better than the 50D still.

it sounds like you have a tight budget, so you might as well go for the 50D since you can't use your EF-S lens on that body right?
RaymondN
The only EF-S lens I have is the 18-55 IS kit lens, which I pretty much hate lol. It'll be gone no matter which new camera I get. So that leaves me with the two EF lenses, which is why I wouldn't mind getting the full frame sensor, if the 5D is actually a *better* camera than the newer crop sensor 50D.

Anything will be an upgrade from the Rebel heh

But yeah, I'm definitely on a tight budget, still in college, not living with my parents, so everything comes out of my paychecks/photog gigs. Sucks!
Nike SB'd
Split it right down the middle... 7D
mackey
QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Nov 2 2009, 11:11 AM) *
Split it right down the middle... 7D

He wants a classic 5D, not the Mark II. Difference of about 1k.

I'd almost say just to wait and save up more for a better camera...
RaymondN
Yeah, I've also thought about that as well. Upgrading my lighting a bit and just holding off until I can afford the Mark II. We'll see what happens!
The Yank
I went through this debate recently myself, and ended up buying a mint 5D for $1,100. I've never had any first-hand experience with the 50D, but I did shoot with a 20D for nearly five years. My top priorities were improved high ISO performance and dynamic range, as these are the areas where the 20D struggled the most. Needless to say, despite the fact that it's antiquated technology at this point, I'm blown away by the image quality of the 5D. I'm wasting far less time in post production, as the images are just so damn good right out of the camera. The 5D's files have the look and feel of film, which is saying a lot, IMHO. The difference in contrast and shadow detail is quite staggering between the 20D and 5D. Furthermore, ISO 800 looks every bit as good, and perhaps slightly better, as ISO 200 on the 20D.

I can't attest to how much of an improvement the 50D is over the 20D, but it's not a bad idea to at least "try out" the 5D. Being that the 5D has already depreciated a ton, if you bought one on the used market and decided to sell it again, you probably wouldn't lose much if any money at all. I've read many mixed reviews about the high ISO performance of the 50D. Considering that the 50D packs more megapixels into a much smaller sensor than the 5d, it relies heavily on in-camera noise reduction. It's not unreasonable to presume that it's taking out some image detail along with that noise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.