Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any alienbee users here?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
DonJuanMair
So I'm going to get some stronger lights. For now I'm just going to get one light. And photoshop all the lit parts of the car together I did it the other day and it looked good.
What power would you guys recommend getting? B800's or B1600's?
Do any of you ever use a softbox when lighting cars and using the alienbees?
Travis Geny
I have 4 B400s and the studio I use has b800s. These are great quality, rugged lights with great support and a wide range of diffusers and support equipment. You can get the vagabond battery pack and basically have a full studio to go. I would not hesitate recommending these lights to anyone. I would say that while the B400s are nice for fashion, modeling etc. I would want at least 1 or 2 800 or 1600 for a bit more power.

Great lights, great price, great customer support and good quality diffusers and accessories. And if you upgrade to a more professional grade light later, there are adapters for Alien Bees diffusers that will work with other light systems.
bryutas
I have two 800s and a 1600. I love em especially since they're my very own set. I've used friends' bees before and liked em enough to get my own. They're cheap and they get the job done.

I just need to get out there more. :\
john jovic
QUOTE(bryutas @ Oct 31 2009, 12:23 PM) *
I have two 800s and a 1600. I love em especially since they're my very own set. I've used friends' bees before and liked em enough to get my own. They're cheap and they get the job done.

I just need to get out there more. :\

How does the power of a 800 or 1600 unit compare to a Canon 580 or Nikon SB 24/28 etc?

JJ
Timr
I have heard some pretty crazy stories of how durable these are. Such as a photographer shooting a model on the beach and not realizing the tide came up and grabbed his lightstand the bee tipped into the ocean. He then followed to pick it up quick let it dry for a day took it apart the next day blew the sand out with compressed air; The bee then was ok and lived happily ever after. Also great customer service.
SwissWhiskey
QUOTE(john jovic @ Oct 31 2009, 04:42 AM) *
How does the power of a 800 or 1600 unit compare to a Canon 580 or Nikon SB 24/28 etc?

JJ

You can't compare a Speedlight with a monobloc

The AB1600 can easily overpower the sun even with a big softbox stuck on it.
Grantzphoto
I have 3 ab 800's. They are very durable as Ive dropped them quite a few times lol. I'd make sure to get at least the 800's if your going to shoot in the sun.
Jacob Photo
800's are fine as far as most work, 1600's if you are trying to overpower the sun. Are you planning to buy a remote power source as well?

Once you do buy, email me@joeyredmond.com - he has several lights for sale, at a great price.
Eric Mack
3 ab800's here.
gonna get a 1600 and an abr800 too around x-mas i think.
mackey
Using my friends two AB800's with a vagabond, I wanna pick up either two more 800's or a 1600 down the road.
Jeeves
I love my single AB800 + Softbox. I plan on expanding at some point for more advanced lighting options though I haven't decided to go 1600 or another 800. I also expect to be investing in grids and such.
OHirtenfelder
I am interested in getting some. Can I ask you guys here, how many 1600s could I run off the vagabondII battery pack?
Jeeves
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Nov 4 2009, 12:35 AM) *
I am interested in getting some. Can I ask you guys here, how many 1600s could I run off the vagabondII battery pack?

On their site it states:
The Vagabond II can handle up to 6-8 flash units. To run more than one light, connect a power strip/surge protector to the Vagabond II, and plug your lights into the power strip/surge protector.

and

1 B1600 unit 640 Ws 2.2 seconds 600 full power flashes
2 B1600 units 1280 Ws 3.4 seconds 287 full power flashes
3 B1600 units 1920 Ws 5.5 seconds 200 full power flashes
4 B1600 units 2560 Ws 7.5 seconds 120 full power flashes

There are clearly some diminishing returns (power wise) from multiple units.

http://www.alienbees.com/VIIspecs.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.