Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any one using weird gear or "Alt" lenses for cars?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
john jovic
Is any one using weird or "Alt" lenses for cars? For example, non Canon lenses on Canon bodies such as Leica or Contax lenses, maybe a view camera with a digital or film back, old film bodies or lenses. The mind boggles at all the possibilities and some times it's just for fun but other times it's for a specific effect or look.

JJ
Synesthesia
Wow, those are super-cool filters. I'm fascinated by and love using "weird" gear, but I haven't had a chance to do anything with cars, though I use it frequently for other things (where it's not considered weird, haha). Someone posted a behind the scenes shot recently with a medium-format film back camera...
FRY29T
Sensational! I recently dusted off my old Olympus OM1 and am keen to get reacquainted. Don't have any 'decent' glass for it, just basic stuff. Now just need to find some acceptable film sad.gif
john jovic
QUOTE(FRY29T @ Nov 30 2009, 08:30 PM) *
Sensational! I recently dusted off my old Olympus OM1 and am keen to get reacquainted. Don't have any 'decent' glass for it, just basic stuff. Now just need to find some acceptable film sad.gif

I still have my OM2n, the first camera I ever bought, back in the 80's!

Do you know that a lot of people are using Zuiko lenses on Canon bodies with adapters such as these;

http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=...d=p3286.c0.m283

Many of the manual focus Zuiko lenses are still considered as beig some of the best glass around. Which lenses do you have?

JJ

EDIT!

I just bought an Olympus to EOS adapter from an Adelaide Evilbay seller, $25 shipped. I've been meaning to buy one for ages now as I have a nice Zuiko 50/1.4 and 135/2.8 that I haven't used for ages and would love to give them a go on the Canons.
Seethegrim
Well I unfortunately don't have any "alt" lenses, but I did buy an EOS-1 film SLR about a week or so ago. I've yet to do any car shoots with it, but have been doing several model shoots. Still wanting to shoot a few rolls of film before I take them in for dev. Everyone thinks I'm barking crazy. I think the exact opposite (as do all crazy people). I think using film again (for some stuff, not serious shoots) will force me to be much more careful with my shooting. I think we've all become slightly complacent with digital. Shooting 1000 frames for a shoot is totally normal. Bringing that down to 36 makes one super critical & creative...
john jovic
I've been using a Zuiko 50/1.4 lens recently, usually on a FF body, just for very shallow depth of field and detail shots. These were with the Zuiko 50/1.4 at either F1.4 or 2. The bokeh is not the smoothest I've seen, especially at 1.4, but I think it's OK.

JJ
Nate047
I'm not crazy about how that bokeh renders but to each their own thumbs_up.gif
john jovic
QUOTE(Nate047 @ Feb 13 2010, 05:47 AM) *
I'm not crazy about how that bokeh renders but to each their own thumbs_up.gif

Yeah, I agree. I tend to think of it as being 'interesting' rather than 'good'.

JJ
Cyrix2k
I have the Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 (kit lens for the OM-10) and like it much, much better than my Canon 50mm f/1.8 which is a POS imo. It might not be the greatest 50mm lens out there, but they change hands for about $5 + shipping on ebay; I'd consider it a huge bang for the buck.

Sample - 350D + the Zuiko 50mm f/1.8

Another alternative lens, my Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5 in OM mount.

And one last one, my Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 in OM mount. I paid $5 + shipping for this because the filter ring is bent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.