Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a decent monitor....
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Gear & Equipment
RaymondN
One thing I've noticed about my shots is that I'll edit them on my laptop to where they look good to my eye, and then when viewed on another computer the color's looking different - I notice this especially on Macs and whatnot, and I've had people online with "calibrated" monitors tell me the colors look off sometimes.

I don't have the money to go out and buy a new Macbook Pro or a 24" desktop, as much as I'd like to. What I do have is a Macbook I upgraded with 4gb of RAM, and a cracked screen. What I'm thinking of doing is getting a monitor for it (non-Mac), plugging in my external hard drive, and using that as my new editing tool as opposed to my old Dell laptop I'm currently using.

So what I'm asking is, what is a decent, fairly affordable monitor that can be calibrated? I tried searching over on POTN and didn't come up with too much in the way of specific models, so I figured I'd ask you guys what you're using.
D.Freeman
I use a 24" Dell and have been impressed with it so far. Its the 2407HC model, I think they have released a new one since I got mine though.

Bit costly, but brilliant quality imo smile.gif
infinity
I've got an HP w2207h. I really enjoy it.
Diesel
Whatever you buy, make sure it's an IPS or PVA panel and not a TN panel. A Dell Ultrasharp would be PVA. And surprisingly enough, the new 27" iMac has a really really really good screen on it. It's also IPS and the screen alone costs roughly $1500.
RaymondN
Thanks guys. The HP is looking pretty good. I'd love that Dell but it's out of my price range on what I want to spend on this lol. I figure anything's going to be better than my little laptop screen so I don't want to spend too much.
mackey
I prefer Samsung LCDs.
Jeeves
Regarding LCDs the newer H-IPS monitors are the way to go for color quality (albeit a bit slower on the refresh rate and definitely a good bit costlier). TN panels will definitely drive a color minded user up the wall as they shift in their chair and watch the colors shift infinitesimally in hue. Investing in a color calibration tool of some type is also a sound move along with that quality monitor (Such as the LaCie Blue Eye, X-Rite Eye-One Display 2 or so on...) will go a long way to making sure the final print looks like what you created on screen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.