Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bluetooth not working
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
moe
So I turned off my bluetooth because I wasn't using it, and now I can't turn it back on. The little icon is missing in action from the taskbar, and everytime I click on the bluetooth program thing under startup in the start menu nothing happens. I click "show in folder" or whatever, and then tried clicking on the icon there, still no luck. Anyone know what's going on, or how I can fix it?
dukenukem
Check your device manager to see if you have disabled it or not. Did you reboot your PC between the time you turned it off and on again? Tried to reinstall the drivers?
Aircooled
I assume you're talking about your laptop. Some laptops have buttons on them to turn off certain devices on and off.
moe
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Oct 22 2009, 12:00 AM) *
Check your device manager to see if you have disabled it or not. Did you reboot your PC between the time you turned it off and on again? Tried to reinstall the drivers?

I don't see the bluetooth anywhere in the device manager.

The computer's been rebooted several times since the bluetooth's been turned off (I've never thought about turning it back on till today). I've had no reason to reinstall drivers, is that something I should do?

EDIT: I opened up the task manager, and the BTTray.exe is running under processes.
Phix
Reinstalling the drivers should be your priority. Before you do that you should go intoo Add/Remove programs and uninstall anything BlueTooth related first THEN reinstall it. And, yeah, make sure all physical switches are on.
moe
QUOTE(Phix @ Oct 22 2009, 01:12 AM) *
Reinstalling the drivers should be your priority. Before you do that you should go intoo Add/Remove programs and uninstall anything BlueTooth related first THEN reinstall it. And, yeah, make sure all physical switches are on.

Yeah the physical switch was the first thing I checked. So anything bluetooth related? I'm seeing "Lenovo with Enhanced Data Rate Software" (dunno what that does) and "Lenovo ReadyComm 5" (some software that deals with wi-fi and bluetooth connections). I should get rid of those, before reinstalling the drivers right?

EDIT: Gay, I just hit up Lenovo's UAE website, and it appears they don't have the drivers Windows 7 drivers for the G550 yet. I guess that's understandable since they just started selling them with 7 last Saturday and customer service sucks a fat one here, but still...I was hoping they'd been there.
Flaw
Try the Vista drivers.
moe
QUOTE(Flaw @ Oct 22 2009, 02:42 AM) *
Try the Vista drivers.

It's all good I got the 7 drivers from the global site. Just double checking before I do this, I should uninstall the two pieces of software I found that were bluetooth related before installing the drivers right?
Phix
QUOTE(moe @ Oct 21 2009, 06:49 PM) *
It's all good I got the 7 drivers from the global site. Just double checking before I do this, I should uninstall the two pieces of software I found that were bluetooth related before installing the drivers right?

Those bits of software you can probably keep actually. They sound like they just utilize the bluetooth drivers as opposed to being part of the drivers so up to you. Just make sure you can reinstall them first.

This is assuming that the drivers you're about to install doesn't include those two bits of software, of course. Always best to start with a clean install rather than reinstalling drivers on top of existing ones cause then you just make the clusterfuck into a bigger clusterfuck.
Frederf
I've found an oddity when using Bluetooth that if there's a "My Bluetooth Places" on your desktop, deleting or disabling it (say with TweakUI) would break the BT functionality. It seems like a harmless little link but it's the key to having BT work. Weird.
moe
Guys I can't seem to find the original software/drivers to uninstall them. They aren't in the add/remove programs list. That or they aren't labeled in some recognizable way. I have a feeling it's the "Windows Driver Package - Broadcom HIDClass," but I'm not sure at all...that could be my wireless stuff for all I know.
moe
Oh damn, I never would've guessed that was the problem. I guess, the Bluetooth won't work on my laptop unless I have a Volvo Steering Rack installed. Thanks austin123.
caster
QUOTE(moe @ Oct 22 2009, 01:27 AM) *
Guys I can't seem to find the original software/drivers to uninstall them. They aren't in the add/remove programs list. That or they aren't labeled in some recognizable way. I have a feeling it's the "Windows Driver Package - Broadcom HIDClass," but I'm not sure at all...that could be my wireless stuff for all I know.

I'm going from memory, but if you right click on "My Computer" and goto Properties (or you can also go to the Control Panel and click on System), there should be a tab called Device Managers, in there you should be able to see like Bluetooth Device, click on it then properties, it will tell you about the driver and give you the choice to disable or uninstall it, you can uninstall it from there, then reinstall the drivers. I hope that helps..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.