Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 10/GUI
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Flaw
http://10gui.com/video/

I liked some of the ideas this guy implemented from various touch-enabled OS's, and how it all seems to fit together.
moe
That's pretty awesome. Beats the hell out of Windows 7 Starter sad.gif
Razor
Great, except for someone who seems to have so thoroughly studied ergonomics for this project, he's kind of missed the fact that having a HUGE FUCKING capacitive/resistive pad AND a keyboard is an ergonomic nightmare.
caster
QUOTE(Razor @ Oct 18 2009, 12:35 PM) *
Great, except for someone who seems to have so thoroughly studied ergonomics for this project, he's kind of missed the fact that having a HUGE FUCKING capacitive/resistive pad AND a keyboard is an ergonomic nightmare.

+1 I was wondering throughout the whole video how the keyboard was going to be implemented into this. At first I thought it'd be a whole virtual keyboard with a way to switch between the touch pad or maybe a keyboard with a touch pad to both the left and right (now that I think of it that sounds like a lot better design). It'll probably be a while until something like this is implemented mainstream. Another problem with things like this is that people are so comfortable and so use to computers with the way they are now, who is really going to pay more money to have to get use to something new and that might end up being vapor ware lol..
moe
The touchpad looks big enough to be a keyboard. There should probably just be a button to turn the thing into a touch-keyboard.
Frederf
Certainly it should be an option to have a virtual keyboard on the touchpad or a dedicated physical keyboard. To have such a capable touchpad and deny the possibility to use it as a keyboard would be dumb. To force users to use a touchpad instead of a keyboard if that was their preference would be dumb.

One thing that I find overly laborsome in the current O/S scheme is accessing the file structure. The video seriously misses the mark by showing an example File>Open>Select>OK pattern. That concept is extremely out of date with current O/Ss preferring either a application-file association or a simply drag-n-drop onto the application space. File>Open could and should simply just be removed altogether. The idea of a touch-brings-file-system-navigation-overlay file-dragged-onto-application (or simply double-clicked) is extremely appealing. Things like not being able to drag files onto taskbar buttons is hilarious in DS_xP.gif.

One way I would expand on the ideas in the video is to extend the lateral linear structure concept in another dimension. Having several local lateral structures separated vertically could allow me a more task focused approach. For example I might have a row of photoediting software, a row of web browsing, and maybe a third row for MS Word. Currently I do things like this by having 3 Firefox windows open and 10 tabs on each browser window.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.