Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windows 7 for $30
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Aircooled
If you're a student....

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/msw...s=1255053451274
moe
I just bought a new laptop a couple hours ago. I uboxed it and got it running a couple minutes back. I had no idea Windows 7 Starter was so incredibly gay.
BlackJack
I'm not in school at the moment, but I entered my old school's email and it worked bwhahaha

Only problem is that it went straight to my school's email box and not my Gmail. Fuck.
Frederf
Someone explain to me "Windows 7 starter." Also Win7 at Newegg for $99 which is pretty damn good for an OS.
moe
Just take at the long list of nos, and you'll feel my pain. Initially they were only going to allow you to run three applications at once, but thankfully they ditched that limit.
Frederf
Ouch
b0mb3r
damn they did this shit anyway, I thought they were not going to confuse people with 2000000000 editions...
moe
That was the impression I was under. So when they told me my laptop had Windows 7 on it, I was whoppee. Got home, and found out I couldn't change my desktop...and that's when I figured out what had happened. It's all good, the new laptop is great, so I'll just upgrade the OS later.
Frederf
What do you guess it's some quick registry edit to change versions like DS_xP.gif Home to Pro?
moe
QUOTE(Frederf @ Oct 20 2009, 02:14 AM) *
What do you guess it's some quick registry edit to change versions like DS_xP.gif Home to Pro?

I can only hope it's that easy. Actually, other than not being able to change the desktop, I'm not really feeling the shortcomings of Starter. The standard desktop wallpaper is pleasant enough anyway. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I'll probably just hang on to it.
Bjorn
so when you buy a new computer loaded with Windows 7, you get this starter version which has all sorts of limitations, and you have to upgrade to home or premium?

That's fucking criminal.

That's like buying a car, taking it home, only to find that you have to pay extra to have fourth and fifth gears unlocked.
Aircooled
Do you really need 4th and 5th? I know my car will do ~82 mph in 3rd; which is 15 mph above the speed limit already tongue.gif

What make laptop did you get? I looked at Lenovos, Dells, HPs, and all of them, even the $400 bargain Compaq, comes with Win 7 Home Premium or Professional.
moe
Lenovo G550. I'm sure it's a market-specific thing. From what I've read, 7 Starter is for developing markets, so you'll never see it in the US. Actually, I'm at a loss for why its being sold in the UAE.
Frederf
Don't expect to see Win7 Starter in off the shelf computers above the very, very bargain basement level. Retail computer sales most assuredly are Win7 Home Premium, if not just because the name sounds friendly, featured.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.