Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PS3 or XBox 360?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
OHirtenfelder
Hey guys,
pretty simple question. I'm looking at buying either a PS3, or an XBox 360. The sole purpose of this console is for playing games. I don't care much about internet connectivity, and Blu-Ray, and all sorts of other stuff. I want smooth, sexy graphics, and great gameplay.
They cost roughly the same here in SA. Which should I go for?

I don't know too much about consoles, which is why any help you guys can offer would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Oliver
Phix
The best way to do this without it breaking down into a fucking cliche fanboy flame war is to simply look at the games that interest you on PS3 Vs. the games that interest you on the 360 and then look at the upcoming games for both systems. Weigh the choices out and pick that console for your needs.

People can jerk each other off for days non-stop about what the hardware is or the hardware potential or whatever or how much easier it is to put a fucking unix shell on this console as opposed to that console for whateer fucking reason besides to jerk their own nerd egos off.

At this point you're going to get sexy, smooth graphics from either console. I could tell you to go buy a PS3 but what if you want, I dunno, Halo 3 instead? Or I can tell you to buy a 360 but you prefer Gran Turismo 5 to Forza 3? Then you're fucked.

Make the decision based on the games you want to buy rather than what the hardware can do cause they're both pretty similar and it's the games which make a consoles name from its mid to end life.

Personally, for me, I'd go with a PS3 because there are several games for that which interest me as opposed to the 360 which has a lot of games for it which tend to also come out for the PC (since Microsoft is pushing hard to create some sort of symbiotic relation between the 360 & their Games For Windows monstrosity) which I end up buying for PC anyway while the PS3 tends to have more PS3-exclusive with a few 360/PS3 games like Grand Theft Auto IV with exclusives like Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo 5, and the Uncharted series of games. But, once again, taht's my personal preference.

And after trudging through endless ENDLESS amount of fanboy jerkfests that's pretty much the only level-headed and unbiased (and probably the only sane) option I can give you.

The better way to do this is to tell us what kind of games you prefer (genre, style, whatever) and if you use your PC for gaming as well...
Flaw
QUOTE(Phix @ Oct 9 2009, 06:30 AM) *
The best way to do this without it breaking down into a fucking cliche fanboy flame war is to simply look at the games that interest you on PS3 Vs. the games that interest you on the 360 and then look at the upcoming games for both systems. Weigh the choices out and pick that console for your needs.

People can jerk each other off for days non-stop about what the hardware is or the hardware potential or whatever or how much easier it is to put a fucking unix shell on this console as opposed to that console for whateer fucking reason besides to jerk their own nerd egos off.

At this point you're going to get sexy, smooth graphics from either console. I could tell you to go buy a PS3 but what if you want, I dunno, Halo 3 instead? Or I can tell you to buy a 360 but you prefer Gran Turismo 5 to Forza 3? Then you're fucked.

Make the decision based on the games you want to buy rather than what the hardware can do cause they're both pretty similar and it's the games which make a consoles name from its mid to end life.

Personally, for me, I'd go with a PS3 because there are several games for that which interest me as opposed to the 360 which has a lot of games for it which tend to also come out for the PC (since Microsoft is pushing hard to create some sort of symbiotic relation between the 360 & their Games For Windows monstrosity) which I end up buying for PC anyway while the PS3 tends to have more PS3-exclusive with a few 360/PS3 games like Grand Theft Auto IV with exclusives like Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo 5, and the Uncharted series of games. But, once again, taht's my personal preference.

And after trudging through endless ENDLESS amount of fanboy jerkfests that's pretty much the only level-headed and unbiased (and probably the only sane) option I can give you.

The better way to do this is to tell us what kind of games you prefer (genre, style, whatever) and if you use your PC for gaming as well...

So you recommend a PS3 based on the fact that YOU buy the PC version of games that come out for both the 360 & PC?

I recommend a new graphics card, at this point a $150 graphics card can do better graphics at higher resolutions.

In all honesty though, phix is spot on, it's all about the games...if all of your friends end up buying CoD:Modern Warfare 2 for the PS3, and you get it for 360, you'll still have fun, although it won't be with your friends.
Phix
QUOTE(Flaw @ Oct 9 2009, 08:36 AM) *
So you recommend a PS3 based on the fact that YOU buy the PC version of games that come out for both the 360 & PC?

I recommend a new graphics card, at this point a $150 graphics card can do better graphics at higher resolutions.

In all honesty though, phix is spot on, it's all about the games...if all of your friends end up buying CoD:Modern Warfare 2 for the PS3, and you get it for 360, you'll still have fun, although it won't be with your friends.

My sarcasm meter is broken but I didn't recommend the PS3. I just said that was my personal preference. As in, since I do a lot of gaming on my PC and just buy the PC versions of the majority of 360 games that come out that in retrospect buying a PS3 would have worked out better for me. And once again that's for me personally.
Flaw
QUOTE(Phix @ Oct 9 2009, 07:43 AM) *
My sarcasm meter is broken but I didn't recommend the PS3. I just said that was my personal preference. As in, since I do a lot of gaming on my PC and just buy the PC versions of the majority of 360 games that come out that in retrospect buying a PS3 would have worked out better for me. And once again that's for me personally.

My eyes are broken, I missed the "Personally" part.

YOU WIN THIS ROUND
OHirtenfelder
Well, the one reason I'm looking at buying a console is for racing games GT5 is pretty much the one that got it started. But then again, I'm also looking at Fable 2, which looks like its only available on XBox. Fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck. So basically I need to choose a console based on what games are available for each and what games will be coming in the near future?? But if cool games get released in 2 years time for the console that I didn't buy, I'm fucked. That pretty much sum it up?
Phix
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Oct 9 2009, 08:49 AM) *
Well, the one reason I'm looking at buying a console is for racing games GT5 is pretty much the one that got it started. But then again, I'm also looking at Fable 2, which looks like its only available on XBox. Fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck. So basically I need to choose a console based on what games are available for each and what games will be coming in the near future?? But if cool games get released in 2 years time for the console that I didn't buy, I'm fucked. That pretty much sum it up?

Yeah, that's why I said look at the 360 and the PS3 games both and weigh them up.

It's a weighing game. I mean, hell, are there more games that you want on the PS3 as opposed to the 360? Then I'd recommend getting a PS3. More games on the 360 than on the PS3 that you want? Get a 360. And a lot of games tend to come out on PS3/360 anyway. Well, with the exception of those Microsoft exclsuives. Like Fable II.

Either way I can promise you one thing and only one thing: Whatever console you end up buying you'll always end up regretting it cause you'll see this awesome game coming out for the OTHER console and hate yourself for not buying that one. Unless you're rich as fuck or video gaming is your only hobby and you can afford to buy both consoles.
bankE46
I disagree that you will regret whatever console you purchase. I just bought a 360 about a month ago and I love it. I've tried out a bunch of different games, and after having played a ton of Forza 2, not only am I pumped for 3, but I no longer regret selling my ps2 and losing the ability to play GT4 (I even have a driving force pro wheel). Xbox live is a blast, the UI is minimalistic and useful, and the game selection is very broad. If the only reason you're considering consoles is so that you can play GT5, well, you're gonna need a ps3. But if you want a well-rounded, relatively inexpensive console that does a lot of stuff, from my experience thus far, I would guess that you would be quite happy with a 360.

And phix - you don't need to be 'rich as fuck' to buy two video game systems. You just can't be 'broke as fuck'. tongue.gif
Phix
QUOTE(BankieVR6 @ Oct 9 2009, 09:24 AM) *
And phix - you don't need to be 'rich as fuck' to buy two video game systems. You just can't be 'broke as fuck'. tongue.gif

Well, ok, that's true especially after all the price cuts. I bought my 360 like 6 months after it came out so I still have all the original prices in my head.

Plus, who knows what the prices are like in South Africa? Maybe they cost as much as a horse?
bankE46
QUOTE(Phix @ Oct 9 2009, 09:31 AM) *
Plus, who knows what the prices are like in South Africa? Maybe they cost as much as a horse?

horses are probably cheaper.
Flaw
Seriously, with the recent slickdeals on the Elite, for as low as $196 shipped...that's almost too good. I'm guessing there is no SA version of slickdeals though sad.gif
fiber optic
Buy a 360 and steal your brother's Playstation. That worked for me. YMMV
Altostratus
i like the 360, i like the PS3.
the PS3 is a better equipped piece of electronics for 299 (large harddrive,upconverting DVD/blu-ray player, wi-fi, bluetooth ect.)
the 360 is more spendy (wireless adapter,batteries/charge&play ect.)

both have good games.
thats how i see it.
Dr. Strangelove
I have Fable II. I don't know if you have played it, or are big into the series or anything, but for me it wasn't anything special, and is definitely not worth buying a different console for.

Also, dont forget that the 360 has a limited life span.
Halflifehavock13
PS3NOGAEMS.

Like everyone else said, go for whatever tickles your fancy, game wise. I find that there are more exlusives for the 360 than there are on the ps3, but that doesnt mean that a majority of the good games out there aren't on both systems. The blu-ray is nice, however I dont own many (except planet earth), so I dont really use it that much. Then again, I never owned that many dvd's in the first place since I just rented. One thing that is really nice about the ps3 is it is easy as shit to upgrade the hard drive on (and fairly cheap, as you only need an SATA laptop hard drive that can be had for under 100 bucks).

However, you are interested in GT5, so go for the ps triple. You will be happy either way.
Halflifehavock13
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Oct 9 2009, 05:30 PM) *

I dont know if I totally agree. Just because the ps3 is a step or two ahead hardware wise, looking back at the ps2 and original xbox shows that a weaker console can still have a lot of fight left in it.
Phix
QUOTE(Dr. Strangelove @ Oct 9 2009, 05:30 PM) *

what?
Razor
QUOTE(Phix @ Oct 9 2009, 06:59 PM) *

what?

I think he was implying RRoD, which doesn't even affect the newer models afaik.
DB9
RRoD is basically non-existant these days. And they do a pretty good job of helping you out if you do get it.

That shouldn't even be taken into the equation.
OHirtenfelder
OK, well it basically looks like the sort of prices I'm looking at are as follows:

PS3 with a controller and a game(usually, but nothing great), will cost me about R4200-4500, which is +- $580, which is completely insane, considering I can find the same thing on Ebay.com for about $180.

An Xbox with controller and game and XboxLive headset will cost me about R4000, which is about $540. Also found similar items on Ebay for around $150-180.
Xbox games will set me back about $50-70, which again is ludicrous considering games are selling for between $10-20 on ebay, and it's about the same for PS3 games.

And yeah, Strangelove, I have played Fable several times (Im actually busy with it again for the umpteenth time), and love it. I would really consider buying the Xbox just for that, and just dealing with wathever other games come out on it (there will be plenty cool games).

Oh, and just to clarify, you can buy a horse for exactly R895.086 which is $121.45, from here, so horses are cheaper. God, you gotta love underdeveloped, 3rd world countries thumbs_up.gif
DB9
HAHA. Thats so great.
Altostratus
get a horse, they have better graphics
OHirtenfelder
Yeah, thanks guys. XBox it is then. And Fable2 is the game to kickstart it all. Hopefully Forza3 is next!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.