Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 17 inch Macbook Pro
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Bjorn
So, a little bit of luck came my way, and my dad decided to upgrade his 17 inch MBP to a 17 inch unibody.

It's not the newest thing, but it has a 2.5ghz intel core 2 duo, 4gb of ram a 250gb HDD. For me, and my writing career it's totally overkill, but it was free, and has unshackled me from the career killing Toshiba, which is still buggy as fuck, but not consistently enough for me to take back just yet.

Plan has been to use the $400ish gift card from Toshiba's eventual demise to buy a Macbook, but now that I'm covered it might go toward a Canon 30D, which I had been holding off on.
Razor
Congrats, that will do it all for you.

Now, business: Office Space the shit out of that Toshiba, and post us a video... please.
BlackJack
^Ingenious!

Bjorn, YOU MUST DO IT.
Razor
Also, extra points for the drop kick thing.
Bjorn
I still have to give the Toshiba back to the futureshop if it fucks up again, or no $400.
Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Sep 30 2009, 11:51 PM) *
I still have to give the Toshiba back to the futureshop if it fucks up again, or no $400.

DIESELSTATION, LET'S COLLECT $400 SO BJORN PUTS ON A SUIT AND BEATS THE FUCK OUT OF HIS LAPTOP.
Phix
I'd rather pay him $400 to watch him beat the fuck out of you.
Razor
QUOTE(Phix @ Oct 1 2009, 12:34 AM) *
I'd rather pay him $400 to watch him beat the fuck out of you.

Don't kid yourself, it'd be a video of me running away. Is that worth $400 to you? Pay up and I'll set up my webcam and run some laps for ya'.
moe
What else do you do on webcam? I've got some spare cash lying around...

Also, that's pretty cool Leif. I instead got a call from my mom this morning, telling me she'd give me a little bit of cash, so I could get a new laptop. Unfortunately, I think it'll only be enough to get myself a mini of some sort. I'll probably go check out prices today, see if it's feasible for me to throw in a bit of my own money and get something a bit more practical.
Bjorn
I have a refurbished Compaq as the loaner from futureshop. It was $500CAD and is a pretty good laptop. There might be similar deals in UAE.
SwissWhiskey
I have the EXACT same one. 2.5 Ghz, 4GB... but I upgraded to a 500GB hardrive. Flawless machine, also a great gaming machine.
Bjorn
Games you say?

I honestly don't know anything about games for the mac. I grew up with a Mac, and was endlessly frustrated by the fact that there were almost no games for them. I hear things are better now, but haven't checked.

That being said, this is a work computer (so needs to be relatively distraction free), and since getting the 360 I don't really have much desire to play computer games...although the new Bioware MMOG might change that opinion.

On a side note, If DS can generate $400 I will load up the potato cannons and put that Toshiba where it belongs.
Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 1 2009, 10:53 AM) *
Games you say?

I honestly don't know anything about games for the mac. I grew up with a Mac, and was endlessly frustrated by the fact that there were almost no games for them. I hear things are better now, but haven't checked.

You have an Intel Mac, so the gaming on that computer will come mostly from using Bootcamp to install Windows. If you want help with that, I can run you through it.
Bjorn
^shit, I completely forgot about bootcamp. Nice. The only reason I had for keeping my old desktop around was for the occasional HL2 and BF2 hankering. Sorry desktop, time for the basement.

I should be able to handle the installation OK, but I'll keep your offer of help in mind if I fuck anything up.
Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 1 2009, 10:59 AM) *
^shit, I completely forgot about bootcamp. Nice. The only reason I had for keeping my old desktop around was for the occasional HL2 and BF2 hankering. Sorry desktop, time for the basement.

I should be able to handle the installation OK, but I'll keep your offer of help in mind if I fuck anything up.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_C...stall-Setup.pdf
This is all you need to know. Make sure you create a backup before you do anything. BTW, what OS is that comp running? Leopard or Snow Leopard?
SwissWhiskey
HL2 and BF2? You can run BF2 on everything maxed out and HL2 close to maxed out.
Bjorn
It's running leopard, but I think I'll upgrade to snow leopard eventually.
moe
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 1 2009, 05:20 PM) *
I have a refurbished Compaq as the loaner from futureshop. It was $500CAD and is a pretty good laptop. There might be similar deals in UAE.

I looked around, and really couldn't find anything refurbished. Found several netbooks comfortably within my feeble budget, and surprisingly a Lenovo with decent specs. That works for me, because I don't need anything other than the basics, and Lenovo is a brand I'm comfortable with.
Bjorn
I'm not sure we get Leveno here in Canada, I have never seen on in a store. Infact Mitlov's odyssey with his was the first I had heard of them.
moe
I'm pretty sure you do. I mean they're just re branded IBMs...since Lenovo bought out IBM's consumer division.
Phix
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Oct 2 2009, 06:46 AM) *
I'm not sure we get Leveno here in Canada, I have never seen on in a store. Infact Mitlov's odyssey with his was the first I had heard of them.

We do but not really in any retail stores. It's much more of a Business brand up here so you'd have to go through something like a corporate supplier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.