Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who is stupider?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Bjorn
I'm starting a new thread, because I need some advice from the people on here who know more about computers than I do (ie everyone).

So I got my computer back from future shop (read nexicore) and I think it's still fucked, but I want to make sure before I go back to future shop and get all up in there's.

Background: My toshiba laptop had the extended warranty on it. I didn't buy it, it was thrown in on the laptop through some 'clever' negotiation. There were a bunch of minor issues which I wanted fixed, and thought that I should use the extended warranty before it expired in october of 2010.

I took the laptop in and had it fixed, it came back to me, having had the motherboard repaired and the hdd replaced.

While I was updating windows the laptop crashed and never started again, despite me trying to reinstall the OS.

I took the computer back to future shop who sent it back to Nexicore and it came back fixed yesterday. HDD and MoBo replaced yet again. Only its a different MoBo this time...I think, because the startup screen is different.

I installed all the updates, and was pretty happy with the computer, then I plugged it into my secondary monitor, went to graphics options to set up the extended desktop and all hell broke loose. The screen went blank and the computer froze. I waited for a minute, thinking that screen which announces that the computer will reset to the original state in 15 seconds might fix things, but no such luck.

To get my computer back I had to unplug it, remove the battery, then start it up again. I got that screen which announced that the computer had suffered from a serious error, asking me if I would like to start the computer in safe mode. I selected 'start computer normally' and it started just fine.

Tried to connect my monitor a second time, thinking it was a fluke, exact same thing.

What is going on here?

Am I doing something wrong or is this computer still fucked?
fiber optic
Connect the monitor with the computer turned off. Don't do that sort of thing while it's hot, it's not USB.
dukenukem
your computer has ebola.
Bjorn
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Sep 4 2009, 11:15 AM) *
Connect the monitor with the computer turned off. Don't do that sort of thing while it's hot, it's not USB.

It's never been a problem before, I do it all the time on all of my computers, including the afore mentioned toshiba.
fiber optic
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Sep 4 2009, 12:00 PM) *
It's never been a problem before, I do it all the time on all of my computers, including the afore mentioned toshiba.

It's clearly not working now, so what do you have to lose by trying it?
Bjorn
Just tried it...the computer's screen doesn't show bupkiss when I boot it with the monitor plugged in. both screens are blank. Boot the computer with the screen unplugged and everything works OKEY-Doeky.

I'm getting really sick of this...this is my work computer...AUGH!
fiber optic
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Sep 4 2009, 12:09 PM) *
Just tried it...the computer's screen doesn't show bupkiss when I boot it with the monitor plugged in. both screens are blank. Boot the computer with the screen unplugged and everything works OKEY-Doeky.

Is there a setting in the BIOS to force it to use an external display?
Bjorn
I have no idea...how would I check that?
Phix
make sure you have the correct video drivers? Although, even if you didn't I don't think they'd lock up.

But, if they did change the motherboard to something other than OEM then the onboard video might have changed as well.

Hrmm, since you really want to take advantage of the PSP my advice to you is... take it into FutureShop, tell the dumbass in-house tech exactly what you want to do and hopefully he's not a dumbass, get a manager if you have to just to observe with you and then have the tech do exactly what you were trying to do.
Bjorn
There were more updates I needed to download, although I'm hoping that they do nothing...My plan, as it stands, is to explain to the manager that three repairs in a month is unacceptable, and that if they just give me the replacement value (which I have pegged at about $400) I'll drop coin on a new Macbook on the spot.

Back in the day, when I was working for Future Shop the managers had some pretty wide ranging powers in the quest to keep customers. Although I will never buy a PSP plan from Future Shop ever again (I wont tell them that).
Bjorn
Took the computer in...it's going back to Nexicore.

Talked to the manager, expressed my frustration, nothing to be done...but on the bright side, one more fuck up and I get a Macbook.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.