Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Probably Planning to Purchase a PS3
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
GTR
So my plan was to basically purchase a PS3 by the end of the summer. I'm probably gonna do that by early september, but I heard of the new slimmer PS3 that's been released. It's 120GB, costs about $299, and it sounds like a good buy, but I'm not sure if it lost some of the features that it's bigger counterpart had.

It was either this or the 160GB Package which included one game ($399). I'm juggling back and forth between which one I should get.. anything I should be aware of?
moe
I remember my friends talking about it last night, but can't recall. There are some features cut out on the slim. I wouldn't mind though, I'm actually contemplating selling mine to pick up a slim just because it's so much smaller.
Phix
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/18/tabulato...-phat-sized-up/

There, that link pretty much answers all your questions.
Bjorn
so strange that it would be PS One compatible but not PS2. I wonder why they did that....maybe it's a move to sell more PS3 games, which IIRC are not the hottest selling thing on the block, since there is a pretty full catalog of PS2 games which are pretty OK.
moe
Heh, I've only bought four games since I bought the console a year ago. GTA4, MGS4, Infamous, and I just picked up Bioshock a week ago because it was dirt cheap. Oh my roommate bought be NFS Undercover, but I would never have spent my money on that pile of shit.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Aug 27 2009, 01:13 PM) *
Oh my roommate bought be NFS Undercover, but I would never have spent my money on that pile of shit.

I bought it at GameStop, played through it over the course of a week, returned it, and wrote a review of how failed it is.
porsche944
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Aug 27 2009, 12:38 PM) *
so strange that it would be PS One compatible but not PS2. I wonder why they did that....maybe it's a move to sell more PS3 games, which IIRC are not the hottest selling thing on the block, since there is a pretty full catalog of PS2 games which are pretty OK.

I'm pretty sure they had to essentially put in the ps2's hardware on top of the ps3's in order to make the early ones backwards compatable.
Phix
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Aug 27 2009, 08:44 PM) *
I'm pretty sure they had to essentially put in the ps2's hardware on top of the ps3's in order to make the early ones backwards compatable.

yeah, something like the first and second batches of PS3s had the physical "emotion chip" from the PS2 but after that they went to software emulation which pretty much made 75% of PS2 titles unplayable before, seemingly, just axing it completely. Oh well.
clarkma5
Gotta love sony.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 27 2009, 09:34 PM) *
Gotta love sony.

Choose your evil, clark.
b0mb3r
I had my PS3 for over a year and I can say that I am pretty happy... hey moe I suggest infamous... it was probably the best game for PS3 that i have played this year hands down.
BlackJack
360 for the win. biggrin.gif
Aircooled
Nah, PC ftw.
Altostratus
fLOw and Flower and BattleField 1943 are worthy downloads. pm me for my PSN name
moe
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Aug 31 2009, 01:31 AM) *
I had my PS3 for over a year and I can say that I am pretty happy... hey moe I suggest infamous... it was probably the best game for PS3 that i have played this year hands down.

Got it. Finished it. Loved it.
b0mb3r
lol my bad I missed it in your other post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.