Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Vantage or 360 Modena
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Pez
OK, well my friend and I were having a discussion on which decently 'affordable' supercar we would buy when/if we have the money for one. He already owns a '08 Quattroporte (photographed by me), but would like to add another car to his collection around the start of 2010. I'm aiming for one within the next few years. Our price range is around $200,000 AUS. From basically all the used supercars available within Australia we narrowed it down to the '07 V8 Vantage and the '00 360 Modena.

If you have any other ideas for some different supercars for around the 200k mark (doesn't have to be within AUS, but has to include the shipping cost etc), please post them here. They don't have to be used.

2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - $205,000

Release Year: 2007
Kilometres: 29,000
Model: V8
Condition: AS NEW
Body: Coupe
Colour: Black
Engine: 4.3L / V8 Cyl
Transmission: Manual

2000 Ferrari 360 Modena - $189,900

Release Year: 2000
Kilometres: 18,900
Model: 360
Condition: AS NEW
Body: Coupe
Colour: Grigio titiano/bordeaux
Engine: 3.6
Transmission: Manual

Some other possible cars include:
- 2008 Jaguar XKR for $200,000
- 2009 Nissan GT-R 3.8 Premium R35 for $160,000
- 2009 Lotus Evora 3.5 for $163,000
- 2009 BMW 5 Series 550I Sports Auto E60 for $172,000
- 2005 Aston Martin DB9 for $190,000

Personally, I prefer the Vantage. To me it has the Modena beat in looks and that unique factor that I'm looking for. The 20 less horsepower doesn't matter at all to me...380 is plenty biggrin.gif

So, which would you buy?
clarkma5
Well when it comes to "other" I'd probably just buy a Porsche for half as much as either of these cars and laugh my way to the bank. the other option would be to stretch the budget for a Gallardo. But I voted for the 360 because it's my favorite ferrari ever and the V8 Vantage wasn't very worthwhile until they put the 4.7 in it.
Easton
whatever car you buy - let me shoot it biggrin.gif
Pez
Well personally, I feel that most Porsches are too 'everyday' (don't kill me whistle.gif) and we're both looking for something more unique. As for the Gallardo, the 2004 model goes for 295,000 at the cheapest which is a fair bit over our budget.

@Easton...I'll let you know when one of us finally buys one cool.gif
paco
go for the modena, simply because you dont see many around, the aston is nice but i see them quite often!
Pez
Hmm, well I cant really say the same. I've only seen two Astons driving around lately and alot more Ferraris, probably close to 10. I guess it purely matters where you live.

@Paco - You live in Australia?
moe
I voted Vantage. Though you have listed the Evora and the DB9 as well....

Personally I prefer the DB9 so the Vantage, but keep in mind it's less sporty.

The Evora is just sex...and I'd have a tough time deciding...but since the Evora is newer I think I'd spring for that.

What about the R8?
duality
there was a time when i used to drool on the 360, but having lived in switzerland and seeing them everywhere, its lost its charm. compared to the vantage, it cant hold its own imo. ofcourse i can only imagine what it must be to drive such beauties, but based solely on what i have seen and heard, id go for the V8. that car is total sex appeal. the modena is old and rather dull in comparison..inside and out.

having said that, id also have the DB9..although thats more of a GT...dunno what your friend prefers. also, i think a new r8 costs around 250k aud +...perhaps a used one would be in the price range. now thats a car i would love to live with everyday.
Pez
I considered the DB9 for a while but the Vantage just appealed to me more. Not sure what it was, but something was there.
VS

A new R8 costs around 270k and the 2007 model goes for 255k. Just a bit over our budget, although I'd love this car more than the other two hands down. If I were to go 55k over, I mgiht as well go the 40k extra on top of that and get the Gallardo X.gif
duality
o, in the other options, id spring for the XKR. im always flabbergasted at how expensive cars are in aussieland.
Easton
QUOTE(moe @ Jun 10 2009, 09:30 PM) *
I voted Vantage. Though you have listed the Evora and the DB9 as well....

Personally I prefer the DB9 so the Vantage, but keep in mind it's less sporty.

The Evora is just sex...and I'd have a tough time deciding...but since the Evora is newer I think I'd spring for that.

What about the R8?

200k AUD is a painful price bracket to be in - at 250 - 300k you've got an awesome set of cars to choose from.

To be honest I don't think i'd get a 360 Modena, there are SO many of them around. They're so common now that it's like a higher end version of a sports car rather than an exoticar.

The Vantage is more rare, unique, special - but it dosn't stand out as much. Probably not enough for an exoticar - it's more of an everyday kind of car that rich people use to take to work. Which might not be what you're after since it's a second or third car.

What about a Maserati GranTurismo? I'd have that squarely in my sights too.
moe
QUOTE(Easton @ Jun 10 2009, 04:17 PM) *
200k AUD is a painful price bracket to be in - at 250 - 300k you've got an awesome set of cars to choose from.

I know what you're saying...but seriously. "Oh it's so painful, I can't decide between a new Evora or a used Aston. I wish I had just a little more cash so I could buy an R8." Yeah, real painful
Pez
The XKR...is it just me or does it look weird? I'll put it in the maybe pile tongue.gif

Yeah the 200k bracket is a hard one to be in. But getting that extra 50-100k is just as hard.

The '08 Maserati Granturismo costs 230k. For me, it's too similar to my friends Quattroporte which I've had access to for over a year now, so the thrill just isn't there. Even though the sound is still pure sex.
duality
am i the only one who thinks that the evora and the vantage are in different leagues?
Pez
^ I think it's just the word Lotus which puts the Evora in a lower league. Astons made quite a name for itself comparitivly.
moe
I think Lotus is in a different league from everyone else tongue.gif

They're just more offbeat and quirky than other performance brands, and that makes me want to give Colin Chapman a big hug.
dukenukem
Buy a Z06. I would imagine that would be rarer than either of these 2.
Pez
I have a feeling the Z06 will be hard as hell to find here in Aust. I had a quick look around but couldn't find a used (or new) one for sale. A new one ranges from 240-250k so once again, is a bit over budget. New Corvettes seem to be really, really rare here. That's good in one way - but bad in another as no one will be selling.

dry.gif
Razor
I'd get a GT-R.
Pez
I kind of get the same feeling with the GTR as I do with Porsches - too common. Don't get me wrong, I love the GTR but spending 160k on it is a bit excessive. I'm basically looking for aesthetic appeal, unique-ness and a sound that I'll never get sick of.
moe
Hah. A Countach would definitely be worth pushing the budget for, especially if your priority is posing. However, everything I've ever read has led me to believe, that's exactly what the Countach is. A poser's car...it was highly overrated as a driver's car, and actually drove a bit like a truck...let me know if I've just commited blasphemy of the worst kind...just what I've heard after all.
moe
Fuck it, you should just get an Exige.
MustangAficionado
You cant buy a Z06 in America for $60K USD and ship it?
dukenukem
Easton found a sweet vette with a RHD conversion done online. Ping him about it.
Pez
Haha a Countach would really be the ultimate poser car. I'll consider it, even though I think it'd be hilarious to see some 19yr olds driving a '86 Countach laugh.gif

While on the topic of the Countach, does anyone know how it sounds? Can it compare to the sexy purr of the Maserati or Lamborghini?

I'll ask around about the shipping costs and RHD conversion of the vette.

thumbs_up.gif
diplo
19yr olds

can i ask what you do for a living?

19 seems a bit young for a super car, but maybe things are different in Australia.
Pez
Well I'm currently studying at UNI and working fulltime for my parents business. As I mentioned before I personally won't be able to afford a supercar for atleast 1-2 years, but if everything goes to plan i'll be getting the keys to one of these beauties in not too long. My friend on the otherhand just bought himself a Commodore SS-V Ute a week ago for daily driving etc (too risky in the Maserati). He does have enough to buy a supercar right now but wants to put it off until after the New Year.
Lancer007
QUOTE(diplo @ Jun 10 2009, 07:51 PM) *
19 seems a bit young for a super car, but maybe things are different in Australia.

Everything is upsidedown there. Winter is summer. toilet bowls swirl the wrong way and 21 year olds have the painfull choice of Modena or Vantage.
paco
QUOTE(Pez @ Jun 10 2009, 03:16 AM) *
Hmm, well I cant really say the same. I've only seen two Astons driving around lately and alot more Ferraris, probably close to 10. I guess it purely matters where you live.

@Paco - You live in Australia?

nah england!
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(Pez @ Jun 10 2009, 07:41 PM) *
I'll ask around about the shipping costs and RHD conversion of the vette.

thumbs_up.gif

Oh, forgot about RHD conversion :fail:
speedyK
If I had to choose between the conventional, front-engined aston and the mid-engined F360, I'd choose the F360.

But the car I would choose (and intend to choose myself) for easier ownership experience (hopefully) is the GT-R thumbs_up.gif

It just ticks so many boxes that the questionable looks take second place...
Synesthesia
This is a good video for this thread:

speedyK
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Jun 13 2009, 03:12 PM) *
This is a good video

Only trouble is that you can clearly see where it is edited: just before the car drives off and just after it stops wink.gif
Pez
Haha good find, although I'm not quite thaaat young.
Aircooled
911 turbo
Pez
Regarding the Z06, the quote came back as:

- $49,500 AUS for RHD conversion (didn't think it would be that much)
- $6000 AUS for import from LA to Brisbane

So assuming the Z06 costs $60,000 US ($75,000 AUS), getting a Z06 into Australia with everything would cost $130,500. Not too bad at all.
SwissWhiskey
You forgot to add the corsa exhaust... whistle.gif

The cool thing about vettes is you can mod them to your exact taste.
infinity
Theres just something a bit strange about cross-shopping an AM V8, 360, and Corvette to me.

Yes I know a Z06 is comparable in performance at a fraction of the price, but I see them almost as often as Honda Civics here, so it just strikes me as a bit odd.
350Z
I have seen several CGT's every Ferrari and lambo on sale in the last 5 years and even a Mclaren F1 but I have never seen a Z06 on the road in england.
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(Pez @ Jun 15 2009, 03:06 AM) *
Regarding the Z06, the quote came back as:

- $49,500 AUS for RHD conversion (didn't think it would be that much)
- $6000 AUS for import from LA to Brisbane

So assuming the Z06 costs $60,000 US ($75,000 AUS), getting a Z06 into Australia with everything would cost $130,500. Not too bad at all.

Not saying a Z06 wont perform like a 130k car, but it'd be a bit odd to pay that much for one.
dukenukem
You could get a 06/07 Z06 for significantly less money and its basically the same car.
Pez
QUOTE(infinity @ Jun 29 2009, 06:46 AM) *
Theres just something a bit strange about cross-shopping an AM V8, 360, and Corvette to me.

Yes I know a Z06 is comparable in performance at a fraction of the price, but I see them almost as often as Honda Civics here, so it just strikes me as a bit odd.

Come to Australia, haven't seen one yet and probably won't for a verrry long time Raspberry.gif

QUOTE(dukenukem @ Jun 29 2009, 07:53 PM) *
You could get a 06/07 Z06 for significantly less money and its basically the same car.

That might be a good idea. I think finding an 06/07 vette will be alot harder than getting a new one though.
dukenukem
Not really. There are a whole bunch of those on sale.
goota
wanker
Pez
^

Altostratus
move to a country that doesn't use some backwards currency.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.