Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: !@*(~#@!*#~!@#!@ LOTUSSSSSSSSSSSS
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Easton

I drove it on the freeway back home with the roof off!@#!
moe
!@*(~#@!*#~!@#!@ LOTUSSSSSSSSSSSS! Congrats man, and I'm digging the first picture. Hi-res? haha.
Easton
http://www.eastonchang.com/_MG_1771.jpg

#$*{(!@#$*!@#($*!@#$!@
mitch_f1
well done. Can't imagine where your going to stuff your camera gear though...
OHirtenfelder
Congratulations Easton. I can't even imagine how cool it must feel.
Now you need to start a new thread to help you figure out which sub $10 000 car you'll b getting as a daily... biggrin.gif
moe
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Jun 6 2009, 03:03 PM) *
Now you need to start a new thread to help you figure out which sub $10 000 car you'll b getting as a daily... biggrin.gif

I remember him being pretty set on a used Ford Falcon wagon.
speedyK
Welcome to the wonderful world of Lotus ownership cool.gif

My dealer gave me a new Elise supercharged to play with for the afternoon while my Exige Cup was being serviced.

The Elise is a really sweet car. Very civilsed, all the power you need on the road and perfectly usable as everyday transport, IMO thumbs_up.gif
(The only thing I didn't like on the one I drive was the crazy-loud stage 4? exhaust box they'd fitted )
Easton
All i've done so far, is drive it from the city (Sydney) back home on the freeway to Newcastle.

For running in reasons I tried to minimize cruising on the freeway home. So as *edit* Not to let the engine remain at a constant rev for prolonged periods of time. I shifted up and down (but not down so much that it hits anywhere close to redline) staying below 4.5k rpm.

Any other tips to give me for a new engine? It's a Toyota 1.8 so it ought to be bulletproof.

The manual is ridiculous - it's literally some peices of printed paper stapled together - lol so Lotus-like!

Constrast to the Bentley stuff (which I saw at the Bentley showroom) where it looks as though 12 cows were killed for the leather binded user manual on the cars!

Initial impressions?

It dosn't sound or feel at all like a Corolla engine, it's very loud and with the engine behind you you'd be damned convinced that the engine behind you is as sports car as it gets. The car is surprisingly torquey, it picks up much better, in all rev ranges and makes it extremely drivable in traffic. Much much better than the Integra which is incredibly peaky in comparison.

Interior is fine, there is actually a lot of places you can stuff things on, the door sill is actually flat and rubbered enough to leave your phone and what not on there. Except during hooning, which won't be for awhile at the moment.

Vision is fantastic, the side mirrors show a lot and the rear vision is easy - because the car is so low to the ground every car in sight looks like giants in comparison. Front windscreen vision is brilliant, the shape of the car makes it easy to know where the car ends at the front, and the little nip taily bit at the back helps you realize where the end of the car is for reversing.

Must be extremely careful when reversing however, driving out of the dealership the exhaust and rear diffuser is so low it will most definately be ruined by the kerb if you hit it. Making reverse parks a little more frightening.

Wind noise is very good - completely fine until about 120km/hr which is above our speed limit anyway. Though it's a bit chilly as the windows are so low you're definately feeling a bit of wind in your hair. Not for tall blokes.

Upper vision is actually a little flawed as it's blocked by the top of the windscreen, it's so low it blocks precisely where the traffic lights hang over the road. Meaning you find yourself often hunching your head forwards in the city to get a better field of view around you. Outside of the city however it's fine as you only look at whats in front of you. Having the roof off definately helps.

With the roof on - it feels a lot more claustrophobic, I find myself hunching my shoulders and neck forward a lot when I had the roof on. It's a natural tendancy immediately because of how cramped it is inside.

With a passenger next to you - you are almost definitely rubbing shoulders. Good if the passengers a girl, bad if the passengers a fat bloke.

Roof is excellent, contrast to what I've read - it's actually easy to take it on and off, once you get used to it you could easily take it on/off within 20 seconds. About the same as many automatic convertible systems - only you have to do it yourself! Taking it off could also be done from inside, but the most annoying part is actually getting out of the car - popping the trunk lid and securing it away.

The two biggest surprises of all?

First big surprise is this, steering is actually not as stiff and heavy as I was expecting. You completely forget that this car lacks power steering because it is in fact, about as firm as the Integra Type R. The steering wheel is loads smaller and the general feel of the drive is immensely different since you're sitting so amazingly low to the ground (seat is literally bolted onto the floor) with your legs stretched out. But steering feels incredibly similar to the Integra Type R. More of a tribute to the Type R rather than a poor thing about the Elise. Taking turns a bit more aggressively yields a result which has the Elise steering feel a bit better. It's only then that the differences become more obvious. And parking the car immediately reminds you that this is indeed manual steering.

I remember driving the S2 Lotus Exige, and the steering on that was immensely stiffer, harder and firmer. More communicative but a lot less easy to live with. The Elise is truly an amazing compromise. I used to think that Exige is for the track, and the Elise is for the road. But dare I say if the Exige has been made a little more compliant than it's possible to even say that the Exige is a weekend road car, and the Elise is a weekday daily drive. It's that good.

The second, and most unbelievable surprise of all - is the ride. I cannot believe i'm even saying this, but it's actually compliant - REALLY compliant. As in, besides the fact that you sit lower to the road, i'd say it's as compliant as the Integra Type R, and almost as compliant as the EVO X.

Mind you I haven't driven over very rough roads as yet, but the 200km journey on the city and freeway home speaks enough to warrant that conclusion for now.

..I still wouldn't wanna hit a pot hole in it though.

The worst thing about the car - is definitely luggage space, it's probably the worst in just about any car on the market. But on my next shoot - I will try and fit as much of my gear as possible into the thing, and see how it goes biggrin.gif
Easton
QUOTE(speedyK @ Jun 6 2009, 10:01 PM) *
Welcome to the wonderful world of Lotus ownership cool.gif

My dealer gave me a new Elise supercharged to play with for the afternoon while my Exige Cup was being serviced.

The Elise is a really sweet car. Very civilsed, all the power you need on the road and perfectly usable as everyday transport, IMO thumbs_up.gif
(The only thing I didn't like on the one I drive was the crazy-loud stage 4? exhaust box they'd fitted )

How do you like the new Elise's! Very compliant arn't they? Less focused than the Exige but I think it's a satisfactory compromise.

I wrote my little review during your post - which means I didn't read your post until I hit the "Add Reply" button because it took me 15 minutes to type it all out!
Easton
Damn rain is forecast for tomorrow!

http://weather.ninemsn.com.au/nsw/hunter/warners-bay
fiber optic
Most excellent!
Bjorn
beautiful...congratulations.
Altostratus
QUOTE(Easton @ Jun 6 2009, 04:23 AM) *
Damn rain is forecast for tomorrow!

http://weather.ninemsn.com.au/nsw/hunter/warners-bay

firedevil.gif
Synesthesia
Congratulations Easton! Keep us updated on how the ownership experience is.
Easton
Can anyone explain what the best run in procedures actually are? I'm getting conflicted reports - dealer said to hammer it, but don't keep constant speeds for too long.
Altostratus
thats pretty much standard.
speedyK
QUOTE(Easton @ Jun 6 2009, 02:12 PM) *
Any other tips to give me for a new engine? It's a Toyota 1.8 so it ought to be bulletproof.

Hmm... well, all I can say is if you ever drive it in anger be careful with your downchanges! In normal use it's OK (-ish) but in the heat of the action on track I find the gate is too poorly defined and obstructive certainly the worst part of the car. I managed to get 2nd gear instead of 4th in my Exige at Hockenheim. The revs went to 9,400 and that was the end of my engine freaked.gif

It may be "only" a little Toyota 4 pot, but it's worth treating carefully, as having a complete new Lotus engine fitted cost me more than half the price of a new Elise!!! ohmy.gif head.gif
Easton
Considering the engine is off a Toyota - thats a bloody fortune.

Take it to a Toyota dealership next time and get them to repair it! tongue.gif

Insurance covered it didn't it? Please tell me it did!

I love the gearbox actually - though it's a bit crunchy getting into 5th - it's still a new car.
Altostratus
its a british car. expect some issues.
speedyK
QUOTE(Easton @ Jun 6 2009, 02:15 PM) *
How do you like the new Elise's! Very compliant arn't they? Less focused than the Exige but I think it's a satisfactory compromise.

Like I said above: sweet, civilised and good enough to be a daily driver thumbs_up.gif

As long as you don't want to shame 911s on track, you don't need more.

Otherwise you start on the slippery slope: bigger brakes, harness bar and 4-points, uprated suspension, LSD, oil coolers and once it's stopping and cornering better, there is the whole field of power enhancement as well... whistle.gif
speedyK
QUOTE(Easton @ Jun 6 2009, 04:31 PM) *
Can anyone explain what the best run in procedures actually are? I'm getting conflicted reports - dealer said to hammer it, but don't keep constant speeds for too long.

That^'s what the dealer I bought mine from said and the second dealer, who put the new engine in.

But I just didn't feel happy about going mental with the revs with the brand new engine for the first few hundred miles on the first oil. Kept it pretty much below 5,000 rpm.

Since the first oil change I don't feel a need to hold back but will try to keep it off the rev limiter rolleyes.gif
speedyK
QUOTE(Easton @ Jun 6 2009, 06:06 PM) *
Considering the engine is off a Toyota - thats a bloody fortune.

Take it to a Toyota dealership next time and get them to repair it! tongue.gif

Insurance covered it didn't it? Please tell me it did!

I love the gearbox actually - though it's a bit crunchy getting into 5th - it's still a new car.

The price of the engine from Toyota was about 3% less than the official Lotus one. I actually spoke to Toyota about this and asked why it was that I could buy a brand new 1.8 litre Yaris with 3 year warranty for the same money as the VVT 1.8 engine!

I could get track insurance but it wouldn't pay for a wrecked engine. As it costs 5,000 Swiss francs (= 4,600 US dollars) per DAY (!), I don't bother!
dukenukem
If I am ever in Australia i am hunting you down for a drive. biggrin.gif

Congrats mate!
Easton

clarkma5
Shoot, you're going to lose your famous personalized license plate tongue.gif

Think that plate's worth any money?
Easton
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jun 7 2009, 06:20 PM) *
Shoot, you're going to lose your famous personalized license plate tongue.gif

Think that plate's worth any money?

I think so - i'd like to sell it to some asian folk ideally. I've had a number of people at JDM meets come and mentioned my plate.

...but wait till you see the new ones thats coming biggrin.gif

Gotta wait for the rego papers to come in the mail (only interim 3 month rego on the car at the moment)

When they do - then I can swap the plates over to the ones i've specially ordered biggrin.gif
Marien
Wow, that EVO looks huge next to the ITR and the Lotus

Congrats on the car man. Can't wait for the moment you decide to make a good shoot of your new toy.
clarkma5
So I guess now the question is, what's the practical car to compliment your Lotus? Some 10 year old Holden Astra or something?
Easton
Thinking used Mazda 3? It really dosn't need to be as big as a Ford Falcon Wagon.

Ideally i'd have an RS6 Raspberry.gif
Vadvagool
A cool one to have on the Lotus could be

"IH8 V8S"
Easton
lol no I got something very boring.

I wanted a relatively conservative plate.

I'll give you a clue - it's not much different to the current integra, lol just adapted to the Lotus.
Vadvagool
LTS 888

EXG 888
one
nice car, now get yourself a new wardrobe....shoes especially.
moe
QUOTE(Easton @ Jun 7 2009, 12:28 PM) *
Thinking used Mazda 3?

Solid choice there my friend. thumbs_up.gif
Easton
QUOTE(Vadvagool @ Jun 7 2009, 06:48 PM) *
LTS 888

EXG 888

Close enough biggrin.gif
Easton
The car STALLED today at the lights - in NEUTRAL GEAR with the clutch pedal all the way in.

I managed to restart it straight away but I was freaking out of my mind.

The car idles at just below 1k rpm, which sounds a bit low to me. Any thoughts?

Bloody Lotus!
Ozi
That sucks man.. My car idles at around 750 RPM
speedyK
QUOTE(Easton @ Jun 7 2009, 02:35 PM) *
The car STALLED today at the lights - in NEUTRAL GEAR with the clutch pedal all the way in.

Hmm... was it still cold?

The engine management warning light didn't come on, did it?

QUOTE(Easton @ Jun 7 2009, 02:35 PM) *
The car idles at just below 1k rpm, which sounds a bit low to me. Any thoughts?

Around 900 rpm idle is normal on the Lotus with te Toyota 1.8 thumbs_up.gif

Perhaps you just need to loosen it up a bit ...

I prescribe a 200 mile drive thumbs_up.gif cool.gif
Synesthesia
My car usually idles that low without problems, though I've had it nearly stall a couple of times in the past 2.5 years. I usually just give it some gas and it goes away after a couple of minutes. I never really worried about it, though that seems strange for a brand new car.
Easton
Today while waiting at a red light, I noticed in my rear view mirror these chicks in a car behind me taking photos.

I stuck my hand up over the roof line and waved at them - the look on their faces was priceless. They would have just seen a little hand pop up from the car and spontaneously waving at them whilst they were trying to get a photo.
moe
Haha, should've offered rides in exchange for numbers.
Easton
Loving this ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBdDB_MXv3A...feature=related
Bjorn
^It's very Ludditeish-ish of me, but I love any car manufacturer who is bold enough to bring a premium car to market without all that crap. And not only is Lotus bold enough, but they are proud of it.
zeroSignal
Congrats on the new car Easton, I'm sure you're loving every second of it. smile.gif
Easton
bahhh i didnt get to drive it today ;(

was in sydney returning the EVO.

BOOOOO
Easton
lol

fuel gauge is already broken

it's a digital LED type of display, should be showing full solid bars (just filled the tank up) next to the F but it's all distorted now.

This seem to have started immediately after I just filled the tank up - problem wasn't there prior.
Altostratus
love that British engineering
Vadvagool
Back to the dealership?
Easton
QUOTE(Vadvagool @ Jun 10 2009, 03:48 PM) *
Back to the dealership?

I'll get it fixed on my first service (1600kms, another 900kms to go [including the freeway miles to Lotus])

Chances are they'll be a few more things that'll fuck up so I might as well try and get it all fixed in one go to minimize travel
Cyclone
If it's crazy hot outside that might cause the led problem. I have a little red led display in my car between the gauges that tells me my mpg, etc. On really hot days the display is so dim it's barely readable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.