Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cell Phone selections
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Pages: 1, 2
DB9
So my contract ends in about two weeks and I can't decide what I want. My carrier is T-Mobile and I have to say their phone selection is very underwhelming. The two things I'm really concerned about is A) cost and cool.gif there needs to be a qwerty keyboard.

Now moe mentioned the Nokia E71x to me in cyclone's cupcake thread and I've heard nothing but great things for that phone. In fact I'm pretty much in love with it too. The only problem is that, since there wouldn't be the contract discount, the phone would run up at a little over $300 dollars. What so bad about $300 dollars you might say? Well right now I don't have $300 to blow, and I'd really like to take advantage of the contract discount on top of that.

So my other option is a close competitor with the E71x--the Blackberry Curve 8900. It'd run up a little over $150 with the discount. It looks great and honestly, it seems almost identical to the Nokia. However I constantly hear about hidden fees with Blackberrys and how I need to stay away from Blackberrys. Can anyone confirm this?

And then theres also the G1, which I wouldn't mind at all. It'd be the same price as the curve. The reason I never really considered it is because I have an iTouch and I just felt another touch-screen-based electronic device would be extremely redundant.

Thoughts or advice?
clarkma5
The E71x is the only phone with a QWERTY keyboard that I've ever wanted based on just how nice it was to type on. I just bought a Nokia 5310 XPressMusic which I like, but overall it's not quite as good as my old Sony Ericsson W580i (with the obvious exception being that it's not broken).
Dominic
Blackberry 8900 is a great phone if you want something small similar to the BB Curve. I don't know what hidden fees you speak of. The only default charge that comes with the blackberry is a data plan. They range from $15 to $30 for unlimited data plan + whatever your bill is.

For T-mobile I heard the G1 is great! I personally don't like the phone but if it suits your needs then get it.

Just choose a phone that best suits your needs. I'm sure that there is more to it than just a QWERTY keyboard and the price tag.
DB9
Thanks for the input. I'll let you guys know what I get.
moe
I've said it time, and time again. The E71 is simply the best phone on sale. Solid feature set, solid construction, great ergonomics, decent camera, excellent battery life...I can't think of any reason not to recommend it. The Symbian OS is also a breeze to use, and has a lot of apps available. It'll be well worth the premium you pay over any of the others, so save up.

An alternative I'd recommend is the the new E77, but that's even more expensive.

If you want something cheaper, try looking for a lightly used E61i. It's basically the E71's predecessor, and is very similar in many ways. It's not quite as stylish, and a touch wide, but it feels good in your hand and the screen is actually larger than the 71's. The build quality is also pretty robust on these older models. Stay away from the non-"i" E61s, although durable, they're quite a bit more plasticky, and lack a camera.

There's also the E90 (used of course, brand new they're a rip-off), though they are on the chunky side.

I have no experience with the G1, but seeing as it's built HTC, it can't be that bad. Not the most stylish phone on the market though. As for Blackberries? I think they're absolute garbage.
infinity
I have a Blackberry Curve. They're phasing the model out, so you should be able to get one for next to nothing, or free (like mine was).

The software has had all the bugs worked out, the phone is great, lots of good apps, etc...

As for hidden fees, I haven't found any after 4 months of having it.

I have a basic calling plan with the Blackberry service added. The BB service includes unlimited internet, email, texting, BB-messenger, etc all for $30/ month.

I have Verizon and I'm saving about $30 from my old Sprint plan that was equivalent.
b0mb3r
I would disagree that blackberries are complete garbage... they are very useful but fragile sad.gif
moe
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Jun 9 2009, 04:38 PM) *
I would disagree that blackberries are complete garbage... they are very useful but fragile sad.gif

Well that's a big deal in my book. They aren't bad phones, but the plasticky build quality at the prices they sell them for in this region is absolutely inexcusable. Other than the Pearl Flip, I'm not even taken by the way any of them look, and the input on the Qwerty BBs is a bit cumbersome (especially compared to the uber-slick E71).

Throw in the fact that BBs are the newest fad here. I mean EVERYONE has one, and if they don't they're getting one soon. "Oh hey, yeah we'll hang out later. Give me your PIN, I'll BBM you." Seriously, fuck off. One of my best friends is hell bent on me getting one. When I flat out refused, she said she's going to buy me one...fucking Crackberries. Honestly though, if they stepped up their build quality, and made the input method a little more user-friendly, they'd be some pretty slick devices.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Jun 9 2009, 09:36 AM) *
Well that's a big deal in my book. They aren't bad phones, but the plasticky build quality at the prices they sell them for in this region is absolutely inexcusable. Other than the Pearl Flip, I'm not even taken by the way any of them look, and the input on the Qwerty BBs is a bit cumbersome (especially compared to the uber-slick E71).

Throw in the fact that BBs are the newest fad here. I mean EVERYONE has one, and if they don't they're getting one soon. "Oh hey, yeah we'll hang out later. Give me your PIN, I'll BBM you." Seriously, fuck off. One of my best friends is hell bent on me getting one. When I flat out refused, she said she's going to buy me one...fucking Crackberries. Honestly though, if they stepped up their build quality, and made the input method a little more user-friendly, they'd be some pretty slick devices.

AMEN. The Blackberry Curve is the new Moto Razor where I am.
infinity
Maybe just cause they're great devices...
Razor
QUOTE(infinity @ Jun 9 2009, 12:51 PM) *
Maybe just cause they're great devices...

I've seen plenty of Storms around too, so your theory is disproven. tongue.gif
350Z
QUOTE(Razor @ Jun 9 2009, 02:58 PM) *
AMEN. The Blackberry Curve is the new Moto Razor where I am.

Guess what im using since my old phone died.
Im thinking of getting the E71 since moe gives it such high recommendation.
Razor
QUOTE(350Z @ Jun 9 2009, 01:01 PM) *
Guess what im using since my old phone died.
Im thinking of getting the E71 since moe gives it such high recommendation.

The only thing that could get me off of Windows Mobile would be a Nokia smartphone if the US carriers even had them, specifically Verizon.
dukenukem
Typing this from my new office phone . .. E71. biggrin.gif overall i am very impressed.
DB9
QUOTE(Razor @ Jun 9 2009, 12:23 PM) *
The only thing that could get me off of Windows Mobile would be a Nokia smartphone if the US carriers even had them, specifically Verizon.

Fuckin' seriously. I've like never even seen a Nokia in real life. U.S. carriers need to get on that.
Aircooled
Nokias dominated the market like 8 years ago
moe
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Jun 10 2009, 06:19 AM) *
Nokias dominated the market like 8 years ago

They still do in the real world.
moe
I actually placed a pre-order for the upcoming N97. I canceled it though. The first releases are coming in white, I want black. Also, I thought it might be a good idea to let it release and find out if it's any good.
moe
I played with a dummy N97 at Virgin today, and damn. I was sold on the freakin' dummy model, I can only imagine what the real deal will be like. Pricing is steep (roughtly $900 USD), but then highly anticipated Nokias are always pricey when they launch in the ME. I'll probably wait till August or September, but then I'm definitely picking one up.

And no, it won't replace the E71. I actually have to carry two phones...so it'll sit pretty alongside it.

In case you're wondering what I'm rambling about:

DB9
Shit if I had that kinda cash to burn I'd get the Xperia X1.
moe
QUOTE(DB9 @ Jun 11 2009, 01:20 AM) *
Shit if I had that kinda cash to burn I'd get the Xperia X1.

They're about to replace it with the X2. Nothing against it, it's a solid phone, but I never quite taken to the X1. It's also not that expensive anymore, it's been out a while so prices have come down, I think it might be available at the same prices as the E71 if you have your heart set on one. Like hell if I'll recomend it over an E71 though...

Most recent SEs my friends have had, have all been very problematic, so I'm not sold on reliability either.
dukenukem
So anyone know a good site to get free apps and games for the E71?
moe
Just do a search on Google. Free apps for Symbian are pretty abundant on the internet.
dukenukem
There are too many shitty sites so if you have any particular ones then please do help.
BadBoi
For any Symbian phone (like the E71), check this site out. They're usually brewing up some cool stuff.

Nokia Beta Labs
moe
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Jun 15 2009, 02:30 AM) *
There are too many shitty sites so if you have any particular ones then please do help.

Check out Symbian Freak.

Also, the E72 is coming Q3 2009. They've refined the look a bit, and added few features here and there. It's tempting, but other than the upgrade from 3mp to 5mp camera, it really doesn't seem to be worth trading in for yet.
DB9
Got the G1.

The "Chin"

For kicks

I like it alot.
Cyclone
QUOTE(moe @ Jun 10 2009, 04:08 AM) *
I actually placed a pre-order for the upcoming N97. I canceled it though. The first releases are coming in white, I want black. Also, I thought it might be a good idea to let it release and find out if it's any good.

The N97's retarded spacebar placement is an epic failure. Shame on Nokia for fucking that up.
moe
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Jun 30 2009, 07:54 AM) *
The N97's retarded spacebar placement is an epic failure. Shame on Nokia for fucking that up.

Their rationale for that was making the buttons big enough for people with big thumbs. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out. I played with a real one a couple weeks back, and was thoroughly unimpressed.
Cyclone
QUOTE(moe @ Jun 30 2009, 03:45 AM) *
Their rationale for that was making the buttons big enough for people with big thumbs. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out. I played with a real one a couple weeks back, and was thoroughly unimpressed.

If they would have made it a regular slider without the screen tilting up that far they could have fit an extra row of keys and put the spacebar in a normal place. Bad design choice.
caster
I'm dying for a G1, I'm sick of my Curve sad.gif

Also, it really sucks to hear the HTC Hero isn't coming to T-Mobile =/
McKhaos
I just got a N97 (black) and it's the shit. The keyboard is brilliant for my bigass thumbs.
moe
QUOTE(McKhaos @ Jul 20 2009, 05:49 PM) *
I just got a N97 (black) and it's the shit. The keyboard is brilliant for my bigass thumbs.

A good friend of mine picked one up recently. It's a really slick device.
b0mb3r
my g/f is looking for a crackberry like device... I am hesitant to recommend one since they are a bit fragile... I much prefer to use verizon network... AT&T is not so good around here. Anyone have any experience with BB9630? I would love to have a nokia smart phone but I don't think it will work with verizon sad.gif
moe
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Jul 23 2009, 04:03 PM) *
my g/f is looking for a crackberry like device... I am hesitant to recommend one since they are a bit fragile... I much prefer to use verizon network... AT&T is not so good around here. Anyone have any experience with BB9630? I would love to have a nokia smart phone but I don't think it will work with verizon sad.gif

Sorry bud. Everyone I know with a BB has had it back in the shop within the first couple months of owning it. Not familiar with what Verizon offers (not since I helped an ex buy a new phone some years ago), but I'll have a look and let you know.
Razor
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Jul 23 2009, 09:03 AM) *

By "crackberry like device" do you mean a Blackberry, or any phone with a similar form factor?
Asher
Verizon's new HTC Ozone is preeety sweet. Tis WinMo and only 50 buckaroos.
Razor
QUOTE(Asher @ Jul 23 2009, 03:26 PM) *
Verizon's new HTC Ozone is preeety sweet. Tis WinMo and only 50 buckaroos.

EXACTLY what I was going to recommend. You can't go wrong with HTC.
b0mb3r
she wants an iphone, but i am against it because of the AT&T network and it's an apple product. I like the functionality of the blackberry but not thrilled about the build quality. HTC makes nice hardware... but am wary of winmo... we had palm treo's at work with winmo and they were complete garbage... we all ended up with crackberries instead.
The blackberry 9630 looks like storm with buttons... and I recall storm being decently built and for what it's worth its getting good reviews on verizon's site.
DB9
I think its more of an offspring from the Bold and the Curve, rather than the Storm. Both the Bold and Curve got good reviews, so can you really screw up the offspring? Just put a case on it if you're worried about build quality. It's a little pricey though, since its new. I'm sure you could find something cheaper thats a little better.

Honestly, if I were on verizon I might look at the new enV3 or enVTouch. Or whatever. It got good reviews and you can stay away from the data plan as well. Thats just me though.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(DB9 @ Jul 23 2009, 04:00 PM) *
I think its more of an offspring from the Bold and the Curve, rather than the Storm. Both the Bold and Curve got good reviews, so can you really screw up the offspring? Just put a case on it if you're worried about build quality. It's a little pricey though, since its new. I'm sure you could find something cheaper thats a little better.

Honestly, if I were on verizon I might look at the new enV3 or enVTouch. Or whatever. It got good reviews and you can stay away from the data plan as well. Thats just me though.

my problem is that I get a verizon bb through work, so I don't have any idea how much it actually costs... I just know that its works everywhere and the data is really fast... but I also don't see a point in a smart phone without data plan.
DB9
Oh, well if you and your girlfriend get the data plan for free....
Razor
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Jul 23 2009, 05:44 PM) *
she wants an iphone, but i am against it because of the AT&T network and it's an apple product. I like the functionality of the blackberry but not thrilled about the build quality. HTC makes nice hardware... but am wary of winmo... we had palm treo's at work with winmo and they were complete garbage... we all ended up with crackberries instead.
The blackberry 9630 looks like storm with buttons... and I recall storm being decently built and for what it's worth its getting good reviews on verizon's site.

I know I'm a WinMo fanboy, but the experience as a "fun phone" that you will get from the new HTC Ozone will far outdo the competing Blackberry smartphones. Do NOT get a Storm, the thing's a piece of shit.
moe
I'm all for anything HTC.

Oh and Razor's right, the Storm is a flaming heap of crap. Stay away from it at all costs.
b0mb3r
okay... thanks guys! I will go check out HTC ozone with her. I know the storm sucks, they asked me at work if I wanted to pilot it... I returned it 2 days later.
350Z
Picked up an E71 today and really liking it so far, thanks for the recommendation moe.
moe
QUOTE(350Z @ Jul 31 2009, 02:20 PM) *
Picked up an E71 today and really liking it so far, thanks for the recommendation moe.

No problem man.
duality
So I am gonna do a 12 month internship in Canada and I require a local cell phone number. Now the operators in Canada confuse the hell out of me...there are so many...can anyone suggest a good one?

I am looking at Virgin Mobile mainly coz its a strong international brand. My sister is already studying here so I am gonna request her to get a new 3 year plan as she's using prepaid right now..she'll get a BlackBerry Pearl which I'll use with a new plan. Too bad I can't find a one year contract agreement anywhere, but the $22/month looks enticing.

So, virgin mobile with Pearl...good stuff? Then again I love my nokias...
stuffthatsgood
I don't know anyone who uses Virgin Mobile. Most everyone here is using Rogers/Fido [GSM] (both are Rogers). A few people use the lesser CDMA network providers such as Bell/Solo, or Telus. www.redfllagdeals.com may help you to find a plan here. Personally, I use Fido pre-paid and am happy with it, and have converted a couple of people to it. Whenever I shop around to see if anyone's come up with anything better, I don't find anything.
duality
QUOTE(stuffthatsgood @ Aug 26 2009, 07:47 AM) *
I don't know anyone who uses Virgin Mobile. Most everyone here is using Rogers/Fido [GSM] (both are Rogers). A few people use the lesser CDMA network providers such as Bell/Solo, or Telus. www.redfllagdeals.com may help you to find a plan here. Personally, I use Fido pre-paid and am happy with it, and have converted a couple of people to it. Whenever I shop around to see if anyone's come up with anything better, I don't find anything.

okay cool. fido prepaid...are there any activation costs? so its just pay as you go right...is it a lot more expensive than monthly plans? also, how is bell?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.