Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche vs Lotus
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Bjorn
Having just read the DR article on the Evora, it would seem that Lotus has built a car to directly compete against the Cayman S. The figures are very similar.

2009 Lotus Evora:

$88,913* CAD
1380kg
276 bhp and 258 ft/lbs from a 3.5L Toyota sourced V6
260km/h top speed
0-100km/h in 4.9 seconds

2009 Porsche Cayman

$78,440* CAD
1350kg
320bhp and 273ft/lbs from a 3.4L direct injection flat six
276km/h top speed
0-100km/h in 4.9 seconds

So, if it were your money, would you have the strictly two seater Cayman or the 2+2 Evora?

*The only price figures I could find for the Evora were in GBP, so I converted both into CAD, so while the numbers aren't exactly correct, the ratio between the two should be close.
BlackJack
I suggested the Evora. The Cayman is longggg overrated and it's rare around these parts. The Evora is different and shows promise from Lotus.
Synesthesia
How is the Cayman overrated?

I'm not sure, I'd seriously consider the Evora. I see so many Caymans that I'd kind of like to have something different. The 2+2 would be nice. And I really love Lotus and their design philosophy.
Razor
The Porsche is for douchebags and the Lotus is for geeks. I'll have the Evora.
350Z
From what I have read the Evora seems to not be that good.
duality
cayman 2.7 in a blink. its my realistic sports car dream tongue.gif
MustangAficionado
Both are overpriced yet good cars
moe
Despite my initial judgments, the Evora is absolutely gorgeous, inside and out. The Cayman's a pretty car too, but nothing like the Lotus. Throw in some added practicality, a well-balanced chassis, guaranteed rarity, and I'm sold.

Also, I really doubt the Cayman is overrated. It's probably one of the great sports cars of our time.
Bjorn
^Several magazine articles I have read agree about the Cayman. In fact, one of the only criticisms I have heard is that it might be a bit too easy to drive on the limit, and therefore is not as rewarding to drive in the long term as a 911.

Realistically I would go for the Cayman 2.9...I hope to own one one day, and the extra power of the S doesn't appeal to me.

Between the Cayman S and the Evora I'm leaning toward the Lotus, however I would need to see a comparison between the two first. Although from what the DR article said, the Evora will not disappoint Lotus fans, as the Europa did.
moe
Walter Rohrl came out and said it was a shame Porsche held the Cayman back because of the 911...he thought, as many do, that there's more potential in the Cayman chassis. That's high praise right there.
clarkma5
I still have to pick the Cayman, it is slinkier to look at and the +2 of the Evora offers me no appeal (I know you can get them without back seats, but still). Plus, as pleasant as that Toyota V6 may be, it's no Porsche flat-6.
speedyK
Hmm... difficult one, objectively

Cayman:
Negative: The Porsche's styling is not nice the overall shape don't work for me. This alone is enough to stop me from buying one.
Positive: fairly compact and therefore more usable on european roads, convenience of rear hatch, good rear visibility, good build qualiity, good balance and fair performance.

Evora:
Negative: fairly large for a 2 (+ legless 2) and therefore less usable, styling not quite right the shape/proportions are OK, but fussy, unconvincing details, build quality, appalling rear visibility, less practical boot, seems a little too tail heavy and gutless (based on GT5 Prologue sim rolleyes.gif ).

Positive: Possibility of taking more than one passenger (for short distances and if it really is necessary). It's not another ugly Porsche! DS_Naughty2.gif

Lotus offer a close ratio gearbox option I think it needs it as 2nd gear coming out of hairpins is relatively lethargic in GT5P. Based on this, I wouldn't buy one.

Now when Lotus bring out the supercharged version, which is due before too long, it will be a more attractive proposition but still not convincing enough for me.
4wheelfreak
How could anyone think the cayman is ugly? IMO, its lines are better than those of the 911. I take it hands down. Porsche flat 6 > Toyota V6
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(4wheelfreak @ May 25 2009, 04:04 PM) *
How could anyone think the cayman is ugly? IMO, its lines are better than those of the 911.

agreed
DB9
The cayman is cheaper while still delivering more power and torque. Plus, the Cayman's got it's good looks going for it.
moe
QUOTE(DB9 @ May 26 2009, 08:34 AM) *
The cayman is cheaper while still delivering more power and torque. Plus, the Cayman's got it's good looks going for it.

The Evora is supposed to sit between the 911 and Cayman in the market, furthermore Leif took pricing from two different continents. I didn't even bother considering price.
Uwe
Driving behaviour
I think the Evora will be very good in its driving behaviour as this is Lotus' original domain. Unfortunately (or fortunately, based on your POV) the Cayman has an equally good reputation when it comes to driving. I'd really like to compare the two on a track.

Performance
Advantage for the Cayman. It has more power (320* vs. 280 bhp) and is 15 kph faster. The weight is roughly the same even if we have to wait until the Evora comes out. Lotus has a habit of measuring their weight completely dry thus the Evora's norm weight will probably be a bit higher.

Looks
The Cayman's looks is not outstanding but I like it and do not find it as ugly as a lot of other people think. Just my personal opinion. The Evora OTOH isn't a great looking car either. The front is shouting "I'm a supercar" which it certainly is not while the rear is too 'Elise' in my view. OK, one could say the Cayman is too '911' in general... wink.gif

Build quality
Advantage for the Cayman again. From the magazine tests I've read so far it looks like as Lotus has quite some room for improvement in this department.

Price
Here in Germany the Evora will be around 10K EUR more than the Cayman S.

Sorry, Lotus. Cayman S for me.

*according to the german Porsche page
Bjorn
QUOTE(moe @ May 26 2009, 12:36 AM) *
The Evora is supposed to sit between the 911 and Cayman in the market, furthermore Leif took pricing from two different continents. I didn't even bother considering price.

The Evora and Cayman S pricing were taken from Porsche UK and Lotus UK. I just converted them into CAD.

Original prices in GBP are 44,107 for the Cayman and 49,875 for the Evora.
infinity
Evora just to be different than everyone that drives a Cayman (especially considering the number of them I see where I live)
Ozi
Cayman. More power, more visibility, more reasonable price than the lotus.

I think Evora looks better solely based on looks. My pick is the cayman
moe
You think they could shoe-horn that engine into an Elise?
clarkma5
No moe and if they could they'd ruin the Elise in the process.
moe
Really? A V6 isn't that pushing things that far, and the Lotus-tuned Camry engine is supposed to be pretty damned good. It's not like a V8 in an Ariel or a Caterham or anything... rolleyes.gif I'm not saying add creature comforts either, just keep it stripped down, but throw in the V6.
infinity
I think the point is they'd have too much overlap/cannibalism between models...
Altostratus
evora.

becuase when the cloud blows the engine up, i can get parts from toyota.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.