Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: US G1 users UNITE! Install Cupcake NOW!
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Cyclone
So here ya go, here's Cupcake. If you follow the G1 news at all, you'll know that the US OTA release of Cupcake has been delayed and wont start rolling out till beginning of June. For the UK however they're getting Cupcake now.

But wait...

The UK release of Cupcake works fine on the G1. You can install it manually. The only features missing is IM, Voice Search and Amazon mp3. Everything else works fine.

Whenever the US release comes out, you can do the same manual install to get those features back without losing anything. If you want Cupcake now, keep reading.

Download Cupcake here: http://www.crankshafted.com/update.zip (DO NOT EXTRACT THIS. DROP THE UPDATE.ZIP FILE ON THE SD CARD!)

Drop the file onto the MicroSD card of your phone. Follow the steps below when this is done.

1. Power down your phone. Turn it back on holding the Home and Power button.

2. When you see the triangle, press ALT+L

3. Press ALT+S

4. The install will begin. When it prompts you, press Home+Back

5. It'll begin installing the radio files. Just wait...

6. The phone will reboot a few times and then it will come to the Android loading screen. This can take like 5 minutes. Just be patient.

7. ???

8. Profit.

You can read more about it at this thread on the tmobile forums: http://forums.t-mobile.com/tmbl/board/mess...ding&page=1

I'm running the UK version of Cupcake right now and it's great. The new features make it worth doing.
Asher
Do you like your G1?
DB9
QUOTE(Asher @ May 20 2009, 01:48 PM) *
Do you like your G1?

I'd like to know also. I'm getting a new phone in about a month and I'm with t-mobile and have no idea where to start (I'm not too impressed with there lineup, tbh).
Diesel
what is Cupcake?
moe
QUOTE(DB9 @ May 21 2009, 04:18 AM) *
I'd like to know also. I'm getting a new phone in about a month and I'm with t-mobile and have no idea where to start (I'm not too impressed with there lineup, tbh).

Get the Nokia E71, I dunno if they offer it, but you should be able to get one from Ebay or Nokia directly. I'm pretty sure they work with T-Mobile, and it's probably the best damn phone on sale.
Cyclone
I'm pretty happy with my G1 overall.
DB9
QUOTE(moe @ May 21 2009, 04:45 AM) *
Get the Nokia E71, I dunno if they offer it, but you should be able to get one from Ebay or Nokia directly. I'm pretty sure they work with T-Mobile, and it's probably the best damn phone on sale.

Funny, I was actually looking up reviews on that earlier today. I've heard great stuff about it, and its a real looker imo. I'd kinda like to stick with a physical keyboard too. Since I have an iTouch already, I'd feel like another touch-based gadget would be overboard.
BlackJack
QUOTE(Diesel @ May 20 2009, 11:48 PM) *
what is Cupcake?

Was thinking the same thing. I thought the answer would be an electronic cupcake sent out to everybody to enjoy. lol
Cyclone
Assholes, this is my thread telling people how to upgrade their G1 to Cupcake early, not sell nokia phones tongue.gif

I considered an E71 at one point...
dukenukem
E71 is for $99 on sale thru ATT. I think i might get it as the replacement phone.
moe
^ Lucky bastard. I bought mine on a special Ramadan offer for a little less than $400 when it launched, and that was supposed to be a hell of a deal. Nevermind that they were out of stock, and I had to have one reserved so I could get one. What I paid six months ago, is now the regular market price for the E71.

QUOTE(DB9 @ May 22 2009, 03:55 AM) *
Funny, I was actually looking up reviews on that earlier today. I've heard great stuff about it, and its a real looker imo. I'd kinda like to stick with a physical keyboard too.

The build quality is excellent too. Metal where it needs to be, and the plastic they've used is good too. Durable as hell as well. It's taken worse hits than ones that broke my previous phones, and it's still only got one minor scratch on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.