Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What kind of car owner are you?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Bjorn
So, what kind of car owner are you?

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I fall into the middle category. I'm mindful but occasionally let things slide.
clarkma5
I'm definitely very mindful of it. I will let exterior washings slide a little in the winter time but if my car has gone 6 weeks without a wash that's really weird, I normally wash it every 3 weeks (that's very frequent for california). Definitely always up to date with my maintenance items and I'm OCD about my car's interior.

I just took this a couple days ago. My car is 5 years old as of April 30th and the interior looks like this right now:

Zenix13
wow clarkma, that is amazing. i wonder how much time you would spend if you lived somewhere with crappy weather? it snowed here last week.
duality
oi...i dont have a car option is missing.

but in CH, our car was clean, oil change done by the Ford garage, and the car was washed about once in 2 months.

and damn clark, your interior is spotless.
Easton
I'm the opposite of you clark
Halflifehavock13
<--- Last option because I drive a 95 geo. I am under the firm belief that the more crap I bury my car beneath, the more likely I am to forget exactly what I am driving.
fiber optic
Mechanical preventive maintenance I never let lapse. But washing the thing is getting more and more rare. All of them need it right now, the truck and the Grand Marq in particular since they sit outside. Stupid pollen is about an inch thick. I also need to deep clean the interior of the Merc. Lots of spilled frosty's and who knows what in there.

I didn't vote, I'm not sure which category that puts me in.
dukenukem
I am pretty good about oil changes and regular maintenance. I havent washed my car in good 3 months now since every time i wash it, it rains the next day.
Razor
I'd fit the second option but my interior is spotless, so I'm not voting.
UserDrew
My last car I was a nut about keeping clean but not so much my cobalt for some reason.
McKhaos
I can't say I fit in any of those categories. I drive a lot and I need a car that is mechanically impecable. Maintenance is done by the book and if there's a problem, it will be corrected right away. On the other hand, I'm a slob, so I wash the car by rule of thumb (whenever I can't see out the front side windows because of the dirt). Same goes with the interior. I have it cleaned only when it gets overrun with empty coffee cups and snack bags.
moe
Second option for sure. I love my car, but not enough to dedicate more time to it than I do. It's more or less an appliance (albeit an enjoyable one) to me.
4wheelfreak
Mechanically, I fall into the first option, and I'm OCD about my interior. But as for the exterior, I wash it very rarely (every 2 months or so)
Synesthesia
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 26 2009, 03:59 AM) *
Second option for sure. I love my car, but not enough to dedicate more time to it than I do. It's more or less an appliance (albeit an enjoyable one) to me.

+1. It'd be silly to baby my car. My interior is generally impeccably clean though. I don't fixate over cleaning it every week, I just clean up dirtiness/messiness whenever it occurs.
porsche944
QUOTE(McKhaos @ Apr 26 2009, 03:17 AM) *
I can't say I fit in any of those categories. I drive a lot and I need a car that is mechanically impecable. Maintenance is done by the book and if there's a problem, it will be corrected right away. On the other hand, I'm a slob, so I wash the car by rule of thumb (whenever I can't see out the front side windows because of the dirt). Same goes with the interior. I have it cleaned only when it gets overrun with empty coffee cups and snack bags.

^^me
b0mb3r
damn... I am almost like clark... dirty interior drives me crazy... but I am probably even worse, because I always messing around with that car in one way or another smile.gif
MustangAficionado
I voted #1 even though it's not true because i have car parts, shipping labels, cleaning spray, tools around in my car. But if i take apart my engine and I see a bearing surface or cam journal with .001 scoring on it i'll freak out.
Aircooled
Interior is usually uncluttered but can get dirty at times if I don't vacuum it for awhile, but then that's only the drive side. I don't wash my car a whole lot because it gets dirty so fast. I washed my car last friday afternoon and parked it and saturday morning it you could see the yellow haze of pollen and today it looks like I never washed it. I'm pretty good on oil changes and shit but my one rear brake is dragging ever so little and I really don't feel like fixing it. Especially since I am probably going to sell it in the next month. There is also something resonating on my exhaust around 4k and has been far almost the past year, but I'll jack up the car and find out what it is and fix it since I'm going to sell it.
Lancer007
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 26 2009, 12:59 AM) *

^^ me

I usually wash it once every month or so...usually. It doesn't rain all that often here so it's usually just dusty most of the time.
Bjorn
My biggest problem is that I hate paying people to do stuff I can do myself...which includes oil changes, brake jobs, switching over summer and winter tires, etc.

But I am so busy that I rarely have an afternoon to spend in the garage taking care of all this stuff...so I wait too long, then decide to pay someone to do it. It's really stupid of me, since I should have just paid someone in the first place, but when I do get around to doing something myself, and it works out, I feel really good about myself.
infinity
I'd love to be in the first category, but with a 13 year old car thats not really worth much and that I'll likely have no longer than another year or two, I'm in the middle category right now.
shandyman5
My mechanical maintenance is spot on with both cars. I keep the Genesis spotless and the interior for the most part perfect.

Everytime I wash the fucking civic it rains the next day and looks like shit so I have just about given up. Because I basucally run my business out of this car it's always dirty and filled with tools. Also, its a friend transporter, so people always leave shit in my ca which is maddening. It's like the national park sstem carry in sarry out. I hate hwne friends leave wrappers in my car

My mechanical maintenance is spot on with both cars. I keep the Genesis spotless and the interior for the most part perfect.

Everytime I wash the fucking civic it rains the next day and looks like shit so I have just about given up. Because I basucally run my business out of this car it's always dirty and filled with tools. Also, its a friend transporter, so people always leave shit in my ca which is maddening. It's like the national park sstem carry in sarry out. I hate hwne friends leave wrappers in my car
DaGonz
I fall into category 1.

Even in the winter, the Jeep ( the daily driver) and the Edge (wifey's vehicle) get washed and vacuumed at least once a week; and clayed and rewaxed if necessary. We are fortunate in the fact that we can bring out vrehciles insdie the firehouse to wash them after business hours, nightsd and weekends.

The Mustang dosen't see winter and stored in the garage.

In the spring/summer/fall, they are washed as often as necessary. I have a detailing venture on the side... my vehicles are my "calling card". If there is light pollen, I use a California Car duster to remove it, then go over the vehicle I'm driving that day with a quick detailer and a couple of microfiber towels. On the evening of Memorial Day, I did a maintenance detail on the Edge and Mustang.

As far as mechanical maintenance.. there is an independent shop in a complex witin walking distance of Fire Heqadquarters. They do all of my maintenance and repairs.
Bjorn
If I end up getting the new car (see OT thread) I will endevour to become more Clarkma-like.

I have only owned one new car, and get very very discouraged by finding out about the lazy assed bullshit the previous owner pulled to avoid paying money...which I think leads to my slight laziness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.