Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ferrari 250 GTO
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > The Cool Wall > Frozen
Dr. Strangelove

The 250 GTO was designed to compete in GT racing. It was based on the 250 GT SWB. Chief engineer Giotto Bizzarrini installed the 3.0 L V12 engine from the 250 Testa Rossa into the chassis from the 250 GT SWB and worked with designer Sergio Scaglietti to develop the body. After Bizzarrini and most other Ferrari engineers were fired in a dispute with Enzo Ferrari, development was handed over to new engineer Mauro Forghieri, who worked with Scaglietti to continue development of the body, including wind tunnel and track testing. Unlike most Ferraris, it was not designed by a specific individual or design house.

The rest of the car was typical of early-1960s Ferrari technology: hand-welded tube frame, A-arm front suspension, live-axle rear end, disc brakes, and Borrani wire wheels. The five-speed gearbox was new to Ferrari GT racing cars; the metal gate that defined the shift pattern would become a tradition that is still maintained in current models. The interior was extremely basic, to the point where a speedometer was not installed in the instrument panel. Many of its switches came from the Fiat 500, and it was said that as the car was rushed into production, the original cloth seats were made from workers' overalls.
From Wikipedia

Lets face it, this car is cooler than cool. I call BS if this doesn't make Sub Zero.
Phix
Yeah, honestly, I bet Razor is going to call this tacky, too.

Cool.
Uwe
Not voting for cool is worse than not voting for cool for the Lancia Stratos. Anyone who doesn't vote for cool should be punished with lifelong driving of a Renault Espace.
moe
Another car that practically defines frozen.
dukenukem
Those gills on the side and look how the exhaust is not tucked right up the body panels. Just plain tacky.
duality
haha you guys are so childish tongue.gif

uber fucking cool.
Uwe
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Apr 21 2009, 11:04 PM) *
Those gills on the side and look how the exhaust is not tucked right up the body panels. Just plain tacky.

[Scrapping Duke's Impreza and stapling him to the driver's seat of a surrender monkey's shitbox...!]
dukenukem
QUOTE(Uwe @ Apr 21 2009, 04:13 PM) *
[Scrapping Duke's Impreza and stapling him to the driver's seat of a surrender monkey's shitbox...!]

I forgot to add a couple of smileys to get my point across .. let me do it here .. cran.gif loser.gif

Btw .. i have already voted and its 7 - 0 - 0 at the time of me typing this message. wink.gif
Uwe
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Apr 21 2009, 11:25 PM) *
I forgot to add a couple of smileys to get my point across .. let me do it here .. cran.gif loser.gif

Btw .. i have already voted and its 7 - 0 - 0 at the time of me typing this message. wink.gif

I realized you could only have voted for cool. But that was too much of an invitation. tongue.gif
Dr. Strangelove
Honestly, this isn't my favorite of the 250 line. I like the 250 SWB Competitzione a lot, and the 250 Testarossa is fucking cool too. But this is the epitome of a truly great classic Ferrari, a freaking icon.
Razor
QUOTE(Phix @ Apr 21 2009, 04:53 PM) *
Yeah, honestly, I bet Razor is going to call this tacky, too.

Cool.

This one isn't built of fucking plastic, shithead.

Cool.
Phix
Built of plastic? We're not talking about your precious R32 here; we're talking about the 250 GTO. Please stay on topic.
Razor
QUOTE(Phix @ Apr 21 2009, 09:22 PM) *
Built of plastic? We're not talking about your precious R32 here; we're talking about the 250 GTO. Please stay on topic.

No, I was talking about the SV. Plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaastic.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 21 2009, 09:28 PM) *
No, I was talking about the SV. Plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaastic.

What plastic are you talking about?
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Apr 21 2009, 11:32 PM) *
What plastic are you talking about?

Everything on it that looks like it came from a Fisher-Price playset, CF or not.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 21 2009, 10:39 PM) *
Everything on it that looks like it came from a Fisher-Price playset, CF or not.

So you are basing all of this stuff because you dont like the paint job?

Someone fucking photoshop the car with black paint and lets see how it looks.
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Apr 21 2009, 11:48 PM) *
So you are basing all of this stuff because you dont like the paint job?

Someone fucking photoshop the car with black paint and lets see how it looks.

You know, that might save it... just maybe. Anyone gonna try that?
midnightdorifto
I will come to your house and personally kill you if you don't vote cool.

Bare hands. While you sleep.

Seriously.
Zenix13
amazingly cool car
UserDrew
I'm going to go against the grain on this. Great car? Hell yeah. Good design? Yes. Do I think it's cool? No.

Whenever I see cars of this design; longer hoods with a set back cabin such as the Jag E-Type and the C4 Corvette I think of the type of people who are exemplified by Peter Griffen in the Family Guy episode where he becomes insecure about his penis size and buys the sports car which has a phallic shape to it. And I cant help but see the same thing in all cars with similar designs. The cool wall isn't about how much we like a car, or how good it is. It is instead about the image about the driver. I see this and I think of Peter Griffin worried about his penis size which makes it uncool.
Bjorn
^Bullshit, there were only a handful of these made, and they currently sell for millions each. The drivers of these are not looking for penis extensions, they are buying a car which epitomizes Ferrari.
Phix
This car is shorter than your Cobalt.

Not to mention the cab isn't even set that far back and guess what? There's a fucking V12 in there.

Fuck, I can't believe you use a Family Guy gag as a rule of thumb on what makes a car cool or not for you.
midnightdorifto
QUOTE(UserDrew @ Apr 22 2009, 12:29 AM) *
I'm going to go against the grain on this. Great car? Hell yeah. Good design? Yes. Do I think it's cool? No.

Whenever I see cars of this design; longer hoods with a set back cabin such as the Jag E-Type and the C4 Corvette I think of the type of people who are exemplified by Peter Griffen in the Family Guy episode where he becomes insecure about his penis size and buys the sports car which has a phallic shape to it. And I cant help but see the same thing in all cars with similar designs. The cool wall isn't about how much we like a car, or how good it is. It is instead about the image about the driver. I see this and I think of Peter Griffin worried about his penis size which makes it uncool.

I am seriously shocked that anyone could look at this car and vote uncool. This car is the EPITOME of what is cool in the automotive world. Let's look at a rundown of the facts here:

- Race on Sunday, drive to work on Monday. This car was considered to be the last of its kind that could be driven to the track, run a serious international sports car event, win the serious international sports car event, and be driven home at the end of the day.

- This car was designed, engineered, and built for speed. The long hood on this car, debuting right around the same time as the E-type, became a sports car staple, as it allowed for better balance of weight by moving the engine back to get the distribution as equal as possible. The designers for the iconic Fairlady/240 Z claimed that this was their biggest inspiration for design.

- Each one of the 36 examples of the Series I, and later, the 7 examples of the Series II (body by Scaglietti, 4 were rebodied Series I's) were each hand picked by Il Commendatore personally. If you have to look that word up, I would suggest that you do not possess the qualifications as even a base level Tifosi to estimate this cars cosmically high coolness factor.

- Hell, have a look below:

Notice anything missing? Oh yeah, this car was enough of a race car to have no bloody speedometer.

- Lastly, the entire postulation that someone drives a fast FR car that has a good weight distribution, or even any car at all, that compensates for penile length is bullshit and rather obnoxious, on the same level of distaste as calling the Miata or Mini a car for gay people. Each one of those cars you mentioned was competent, fast, and rather good looking (look at everything else coming out of GM when the C4 was made, it was good looking by comparison. Just roll with it.) It is always fun to watch folks pick on the guy with the Miata, only to get their asses handed to them on the track by him. Or the folks that postulate that all BMW owners are pricks when they meet an extraordinarily nice one. One day, we'll be able to overcome this stereotype that ruins good cars and sullies the reputations of good people.

moe
Doriftowned.
clarkma5
I could see voting uncool mainly on the basis that everyone thinks it's so awesome and if it doesn't really tickle your pickle, then why jump on the bandwagon? I could've found myself voting neutral, to be 100% honest...but then again I've never been a big classic car guy nor a big ferrari fan. But I gave it the cool for how it looks, if anything.
4wheelfreak
I'm not a big classic guy...
but its a fucking classic Ferrari. Frozen.
UserDrew
QUOTE(midnightdorifto @ Apr 22 2009, 10:45 AM) *
I am seriously shocked that anyone could look at this car and vote uncool. This car is the EPITOME of what is cool in the automotive world. Let's look at a rundown of the facts here:

- Race on Sunday, drive to work on Monday. This car was considered to be the last of its kind that could be driven to the track, run a serious international sports car event, win the serious international sports car event, and be driven home at the end of the day.

- This car was designed, engineered, and built for speed. The long hood on this car, debuting right around the same time as the E-type, became a sports car staple, as it allowed for better balance of weight by moving the engine back to get the distribution as equal as possible. The designers for the iconic Fairlady/240 Z claimed that this was their biggest inspiration for design.

- Each one of the 36 examples of the Series I, and later, the 7 examples of the Series II (body by Scaglietti, 4 were rebodied Series I's) were each hand picked by Il Commendatore personally. If you have to look that word up, I would suggest that you do not possess the qualifications as even a base level Tifosi to estimate this cars cosmically high coolness factor.

- Hell, have a look below:

Notice anything missing? Oh yeah, this car was enough of a race car to have no bloody speedometer.

- Lastly, the entire postulation that someone drives a fast FR car that has a good weight distribution, or even any car at all, that compensates for penile length is bullshit and rather obnoxious, on the same level of distaste as calling the Miata or Mini a car for gay people. Each one of those cars you mentioned was competent, fast, and rather good looking (look at everything else coming out of GM when the C4 was made, it was good looking by comparison. Just roll with it.) It is always fun to watch folks pick on the guy with the Miata, only to get their asses handed to them on the track by him. Or the folks that postulate that all BMW owners are pricks when they meet an extraordinarily nice one. One day, we'll be able to overcome this stereotype that ruins good cars and sullies the reputations of good people.

Your standards for coolness are very subjective. Perhaps you thought your ideas where universal because fueled by other people's votes. None of these standards where considered in my vote. I know it's rare. I know that the owners list is exclusive and that now just adds to its uncoolness as now it won't do any of those things you listed. It'll just sit in some wealthy person's collection, it's no more than a $15 million eye candy. If it just sits in a garage then it no longer does what it was designed to do making a "cool" judgment off of its engineering a moot point. Everything about this car makes it a hands-down classic and the best super car of the 1960s but from there I couldn't make the jump to coolness.

Classic | Coolness. Two different things that do not necessarily relate. They are two different qualities. Sure you can have one car that is of both, and I recognize this car as being a classic. It no longer has to race, or be driven so long as its presence is enjoyed. Exclusivity is a factor in "classicness" but not so much coolness. Why? There have been pretty damn uncool exclusive cars. Sometimes people who can be considered uncool get their hands on exclusive cars or favor them in someway and that can prevent a car from being cool. Or there can be really cool people out there who are also really good drivers who probably deserve the car quite a bit but are prevented from being allowed ownership. Or it there could be a general consensus that the exclusive car is uncool.

From there I got hung up over the shape of the front end of this thing. It just simply does not sit well with me. Some people may think that the arch and strange sloping front angle is an awesome design. Functionally speaking, I am certain it is. But when functionality is no longer an issue it is just a scrunchy looking front end with exaggerated arches. I cant think about how on a track this thing would look somewhat out of balance with the scrunched front end and the thicker rear. So does styling equate to coolness? Somewhat. Beauty is also fairly subjective as we have an atomistic take on what we each consider to be attractive so you cant completely leap to a universal coolness based solely on one's singular idea.

So how does one determine coolness? Perhaps you can look at badge and personality type connections. It maybe somewhat fallacious but it can work. It's what I did here. I simply used family guy a a means to put what I see in this car's styling into perspective believing that there were other family guy fans here who would then see what I see. I wasn't looking for agreement. So, in the end, it just doesn't "tickle my pickle".
Dr. Strangelove
^ You suck at deciding cool.

OK here is a quick little story about this car:

My dad is pretty good friends with a former funny car driver. This is one of those guys who has worked as a mechanic for tons of racing teams and groups over the years, but he LOVES American Muscle to no end. He doesn't like foreign cars at all, and is pretty much your stereotypical old school American gear head.

He's only really interested in drag racing and pretty much has polar opposite interests to me. One day out of boredom, I asked him what was the favorite car he has ever driven. I fully expected him to say some old 1,000 hp hot rod or something, but no. He answered without a split second's delay; the Ferrari 250 GTO. He said there is nothing like it on the planet, it was perfect.
Phix
*sniffs* what a touching story on so many levels.

thank you for sharing that. smile.gif you should see about selling it as a movie...
Dr. Strangelove
QUOTE(Phix @ Apr 27 2009, 09:51 AM) *
*sniffs* what a touching story on so many levels.

thank you for sharing that. smile.gif you should see about selling it as a movie...

Wait a minute...

shandyman5
epic cool. End of Story.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.