Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Audi vs BMW
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
The forums have been kind of begging for this poll for the last couple days. So which premium, sporty brand do you prefer? Here's some of their best to help you decide.

Audi:

BMW:

Phix
BMW.

I'm a big fan of their motorsport teams (F1, WTCC etc) and a fan of their older cars.

I like Audi, too, but I prefer BMW overall.
darinzon
they both have amazing race cars. abstaining from vote
Bjorn
A few years ago it would have been BMW hands down.

Now I don't know.
Aircooled
Straight Sixes ftw.

Both amazing companies in the present and the past though. Each has its own idea on how to make a good fun car, and both ideas kick ass in different ways...
dukenukem
They both have their goods and bads. This poll is like asking whose better Ella Fitzgerald or Christina Aguilera? The answer depends if you mean a good singer or one you would like to hump.
fiber optic
I dislike BMW less.
DB9
I like older BMWs but I like new Audis.
GTR
I like both, it's difficult being torn between two of your most favorite manufacturers.

I'm staying completely neutral
Razor
QUOTE(DB9 @ Apr 18 2009, 08:34 PM) *
OHirtenfelder
Im gonna sit on the fence on this one. There is no definite 1 or the other here.
Both of the rock hard!
infinity
QUOTE(DB9 @ Apr 18 2009, 08:34 PM) *
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(DB9 @ Apr 18 2009, 05:34 PM) *
porschedream
Audi solely because BMW has been hitting ground balls for the past few years. Ok maybe i'm an Audi fanatic too but I honestly believe the company as a whole has made more than 1 or 2 mistakes. The 7 series was a disaster, the X3 was ugly and plastic-full, and the X6 and X6M were probably BMW's to worst financial investments in a while.

Now to give a fair comparison, the Q7 didn't exactly hit the mark in terms of styling, looking more like a van than a full sized SUV, and in terms of overall styling the new 3 series has the Audi beat by a small margin.
Vadvagool
What a split....

I had to go with Audi, I just like their new stuff more than BMW.
moe
I probably don't even need to say this, but I went with BMW. Although Audis are very, very pretty cars...BMWs are still in a different league dynamically.
b0mb3r
Audi really stepped it up last couple of years... but even a diluted BMW still better.
Easton
They're so different in character but beautiful in their own way.

Which is best is decided based on your own personal tastes, like comparing strawberry to chocolate.

Can't vote
Bjorn
OK, I'm sick of sitting on the fence, lets do a model by model thing.

1 series vs A3: A3
3 series vs A4: A4
5 series vs A6: A6
6 series vs A5: A5
7 series vs A8: A8
X3 vs Q5: X3
X5 vs Q7: X5
Z4 vs TT cabrio: Z4
Z4 coupe vs TT coupe: Z4 coupe
______ vs R8: R8
M3 vs RS4: M3
M5 vs RS6: RS6

So...um...I think I like Audi more ATM.
moe
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Apr 20 2009, 05:20 PM) *
1 series vs A3: A3
3 series vs A4: A4
5 series vs A6: A6
6 series vs A5: A5
7 series vs A8: A8
X3 vs Q5: X3
X5 vs Q7: X5
Z4 vs TT cabrio: Z4
Z4 coupe vs TT coupe: Z4 coupe
______ vs R8: R8
M3 vs RS4: M3
M5 vs RS6: RS6

The problem with that is, the ranges don't match up exactly. A5 vs 6-series? The R8s competitor would be the M6...but even then, very different cars. If you really want to do this, I'd compare the bread & butter sedans/SUVs. They match up rather nicely, otherwise this is kind of pointless.
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 20 2009, 09:31 AM) *
The problem with that is, the ranges don't match up exactly. A5 vs 6-series? The R8s competitor would be the M6...but even then, very different cars. If you really want to do this, I'd compare the bread & butter sedans/SUVs. They match up rather nicely, otherwise this is kind of pointless.

Plus all his winners suck Raspberry.gif A4 over 3 series? Z4 over...anything? A6 over 5 series? I love my dad's A6, but stock they are meh.
porschedream
The BMW 3 series is so common that I would buy an A4 just to be different.
DB9
The only BMWs I would really fork over cash for are the M3 sedan and the Z4. The rest of the models are just kinda "meh" to me.
MustangAficionado
QUOTE(porschedream @ Apr 20 2009, 05:07 PM) *

I agree, for sure. But i cant say BMW<Audi because BMW sells a lot of cars....
moe
QUOTE(porschedream @ Apr 21 2009, 04:07 AM) *

I don't really place much value on uniquness.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 21 2009, 04:45 PM) *

But you do on douchebaggery?
porschedream
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 21 2009, 04:45 PM) *

For an entry level luxury sedan it's true, there is no such thing as uniqueness, but it rather drive a car that I don't see at least of three of on every street block on every side of the city.

QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 21 2009, 06:32 PM) *
But you do on douchebaggery?

dance.gif
dukenukem
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 21 2009, 03:45 PM) *

I do remember atleast one instance where you have contradicted yourself. Or atleast thats how i interpreted it.
moe
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Apr 22 2009, 03:00 AM) *
I do remember atleast one instance where you have contradicted yourself. Or atleast thats how i interpreted it.

Probably the Alfa 8C Competizione, or when I was smoking crack and decided to consider the Saab 9-3. I'm sure there was a point in time too, I just don't care anymore.
tonymophoto.com
BMW.

The RS4 is great great car, but I dont really think thats enough to boost them up to even a watered down and seemingly distracted BMW. I'd prefer the Volkswagon CC over the A4 at this point.
porschedream
QUOTE(tonymophoto.com @ Apr 22 2009, 10:54 AM) *
BMW.

The RS4 is great great car, but I dont really think thats enough to boost them up to even a watered down and seemingly distracted BMW. I'd prefer the Volkswagon CC over the A4 at this point.

Yuck, the CC is way too long, most likely FWD and won't have decent driving dynamics.
clarkma5
I couldn't see myself owning either brand at this juncture, really. I can pick and choose different cars under both badges but they're just not my cup of tea...too common, too heavy, too luxurious, too compromised.
Aircooled
All coming from a man who drives a GTI.
clarkma5
The GTI's not what I aspire to (though I still enjoy it).
shandyman5
to say the 7 series and X3 was a bomb is retarded, considering they were both the best selling models in there classes. BMW sold more 7's than it ever did with a previous model, and X3 is highest selling small SUV in it's class, and now that it lost the plastic its nice looking, thought it does need a redesign. IMO all the M cars shit on the S class cars. The only Audi I like is the A5/S5 the rest of the lineup does nothing for me
Vadvagool
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Apr 28 2009, 09:00 PM) *
to say the 7 series and X3 was a bomb i retarded considering they were both the best selling models in there classes. BMW sold more 7's than it ever did with a previous model, and X3 is highest selling small SUV in it's class, and now that it lost the plastic its nice looking, thought it does need a redesign. IMO all the M cars shit on the S class cars. The only Audi I like is the A5/S5 the rest of the lineup does nothing for me
shandyman5
fixed! sorry head.gif
clarkma5
Actually I just recently read something which swayed me to vote for Audi. The gist of it is that Audi's got such flexibility as a brand compared to BMW...Audi covers everything from tiny diesel powered economy hatches to a mid-engined V10 supercar, with plenty of hot rod sedans, quirky wagons, and the occasional oddball SUV thrown into the mix (Q7 V12 TDI anyone?) BMW doesn't quite have that flexibility as a brand or, at least, chooses not to exploit it. So I give the nod to Audi.
MustangAficionado
I waited this long. I'm finally voting for audi
moe
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ May 6 2009, 02:13 AM) *
Actually I just recently read something which swayed me to vote for Audi. The gist of it is that Audi's got such flexibility as a brand compared to BMW...Audi covers everything from tiny diesel powered economy hatches to a mid-engined V10 supercar, with plenty of hot rod sedans, quirky wagons, and the occasional oddball SUV thrown into the mix (Q7 V12 TDI anyone?) BMW doesn't quite have that flexibility as a brand or, at least, chooses not to exploit it. So I give the nod to Audi.

DR's XFR, RS6, M5 shootout? I for one don't understand how they think Audi has that flexibility and BMW doesn't...
clarkma5
Well if you think about it, BMW lacks the supercar option at the very least, as well as some of the more impressive diesel applications.

Plus Audis are prettier tongue.gif
moe
^ I won't dispute that they're prettier, and I guess they don't have the outrageous diesel applications (though they do have some very impressive diesel engines)...but they have exercised the supercar option in the past...very, very far back...the M1.
clarkma5
Yeah well that was then and this is now, I'm just talking about current flexibility. BMW COULD build a new M1, and it would probably be pretty awesome if they did, but they haven't and they say they're not going to so that's no fun.
moe
^ Not to mention they'd have their work cut out for them. The R8 is probably the best all-round performance car on sale.
clarkma5
I think that's overstating it a little, especially considering it costs tens of thousands of dollars more than the equivalent 911. But it is an excellent effort, no doubt.
moe
I would buy a 911 over it simply because it's a car I hold closer to my heart.
Aircooled
BMW will build another supercar some day, it might not be called an M1 though..
darinzon
AUDI SUX BMW WINS LOL
OHirtenfelder
BMWs diesel engines are the best. Full stop. I have not yet driven Audi's V12 Diesel (in Q7 or R8 form), but BMWs 330d and 335d....unstoppable. Brilliant performance, and oustanding fuel consumption, while at the same time being very refined. Super super super
moe
I saw pretty much the whole new range out at the mall today. BMWs sharper handling be damned, Audis are just so impossibly good-looking. I could do without the Christmas lights though...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.