Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lexus IS F
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > The Cool Wall > Uncool
Phix

The Lexus IS F is a high performance version of the Lexus IS series of sport luxury cars. It is the first vehicle in the F marque line of performance vehicles from Lexus.[1] The first generation IS F, which premiered at the 2007 North American International Auto Show, features a larger, more powerful engine than standard IS models, improved suspension and brakes, body design enhancements, and other vehicle changes. The IS F sports 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) acceleration in 4.6 seconds.[2] The vehicle went on sale for late 2007 in Japan, in early 2008 in the United States,[3] and in Europe in 2008.

BORKED

Technical Specifications:

Drivetrain: Front Engine / RWD
Engine: 5.0L V8
Transmission: 8-spd paddle shift automatic
Weight: 1714kg (3780lb)

Official Website: http://www.lexus.com
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_is_f
Phix
This thing has 8 fucking gears. I'm a sucker for crazy ass bullshit and 8-spd gearbox = cool from me. Even if it does suck balls and has no point.
350Z
8 gears ftw.
clarkma5
8 gears is at least 1 gear too many, probably 2. It's bulbous and ugly, automatic only, heavy, and it's a Lexus. Uncool.
dukenukem
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 2 2009, 03:42 PM) *
8 gears is at least 1 gear too many, probably 2. It's bulbous and ugly, automatic only, heavy, and it's a Lexus. Uncool.

This.
moe
It looks insane, and goes like stink. Also, from a company that builds nothing but soft, luxury cars...it's a very well sorted first effort. Cool.
Razor
This is the coldest and least-inspired attempt at entering a segment the company has no place in, ever. Horribly, horribly uncool.

EDIT: Could they have made the F badge bigger? F is for FAIL.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 2 2009, 07:49 PM) *
This is the coldest and least-inspired attempt at entering a segment the company has no place in, ever. Horribly, horribly uncool.

EDIT: Could they have made the F badge bigger? F is for FAIL.

Damn, your mouth loves spouting out erroneous anti-Toyota bullshit.
Razor
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Apr 3 2009, 01:23 PM) *
Damn, your mouth loves spouting out erroneous anti-Toyota bullshit.

I love the Celica of old. Same goes for the Supra. When those died and modern Toyota and Lexus were born, Toyota because the equivalent of a home appliance company. Nothing more.
dukenukem
How is cool leading uncool for this land barge? We need to do some more house cleaning.
caster
The styling is cool except for the exhaust. Finally a Japanese competitor to the M3, but its still no ///M (or even an RS for that matter). It only comes in an 8 speed automatic which I think is stupid, but none the less its competition. I wouldn't mind driving one, but I'd rather have an M3 (hell I'd rather have a 335i or the B8 S4) for the money. Hopefully the next one will be better, competition is always a good thing for us as consumers.
Phix
Somebody break the tie.
Phix
ahaha, i get the feeling this car is going to be here for awhile.
darinzon
"it's fast dude"

that's that.
Easton
I can't make up my mind..
Razor
QUOTE(Easton @ Apr 8 2009, 07:47 AM) *
I can't make up my mind..

Think about what else you could have for the money, and think about those exhausts. Fakey fakey.
Uwe
"We are in it not because we love sports cars but because we want to cover a market segment."

Uncool.
Razor
QUOTE(Uwe @ Apr 10 2009, 09:35 AM) *
"We are in it not because we love sports cars but because we want to cover a market segment."

Uncool.

Win. Exactly.
moe
QUOTE(Uwe @ Apr 10 2009, 05:35 PM) *

Uncool.

Because the M3 is any different.
clarkma5
I don't think BMW made the M3 just because they felt the need to fill a gap in their lineup...

For Lexus, however, that appears to have been a prime motivator behind this car.
moe
^ The E30, hell no. But today's M3 is there because it fills a crucial spot in their line-up.
Bjorn
^I think the M division of 2009 is different than it was even a few years ago. The X6 and X5 Ms soiled the badge a bit for me...If BMW can do that (which I take to be completely marketing driven) and retain credibility, then Lexus can have an IS-F and a GS-F. Especially now that BMW has announced no plans for a Z4M.

To me the IS-F is cool...it looks good, and is apparently close dynamically to the M3 Sedan...Much closer than I would have though it would get when I first heard of the car. I don't like the transmission, and would choose an M3 over this were I in the market for that reason, but as an over all package, it's cool IMO.

As for the fake exhaust tips...ya, kinda tacky, but almost everyone styles their exhaust tips these days, I don't know why this car gets slammed so hard while the MS6 gets a pass.
moe
Somebody clear this up once and for all...are the exhaust tips really fake? I thought those were just the pre-production cars?

Remember this?
Bjorn
The car I saw in the Lexus showroom had something that looked like the pre-production model which sparked the controversy.
Easton
I like the IS-F for the fact that it's not an M3. (even though I love the M3 to pieces and would buy it on this side of AUD 200k)

And even though it competes against it's market it dosn't try to be an M3. It goes for a completely different personality.

But say this car was badged something else, like a TVR it could be said that it's cool - the fact that it's actually a Lexus dosn't make it less cool but in fact more cool. Like if Hyundai makes a V12 supercar it's a lot more crazy than Ferrari doing it. A Lexus on steroids in a cool concept IMO.

But what tears me is that I think a cool car is something you never really have to explain to someone. If my (female and/or non-car-enthusiast) friends at home hear about what car i've recently shot or driven, there are cars which make them go "wow cool" and cars which I have to explain to them and they still won't care for it.

I guess it all depends on your definition of whats cool.
Easton
And I still haven't voted tongue.gif not that it would make a difference anymore
4wheelfreak
It barely breaks the cool-neutral barrier because of the tacky styling. But I give it a cool for its exhaust note and for its representation of Lexus entering the market segment. 'Big, heavy, and only comes in an automatic'- sound familiar? This is a direct response to its main competitor, the C63 AMG. I'd personally rather have the M3, but that doesn't bar the other brutes in its segment from classification as cool.
Phix
QUOTE(Easton @ Apr 11 2009, 10:01 PM) *
And I still haven't voted tongue.gif not that it would make a difference anymore

Yes it would, Easton.

A 1 vote difference is a little too close to call.
moe
Here's DR's comparison to help the vote along. Just read the conclusion paragraphs and that should give you all you need.

I think Easton has a valid point about the fact that it's a Lexus making it even cooler, and rereading that article has made me fall in love with the car. It's different, it's not a clone, and it's damned good. It's also super-exclusive here, since it's not available through official channels.
OHirtenfelder
It gets my 'COOL" vote.
A) It's not an M3. I love the M3, it is without a doubt one of the best cars I've ever driven(and I've driven alot of performance cars), but it will always carry the "I drive an M3 and am therefor a dickhead" badge. Not cool.

B)It's a Lexus. As has been mentioned, it is a pretty good effort for a first time M3 rival. Plus Lexussss(Lexi ?) are cool. Especially here in SA where everything is flooded with 3-Series. The 'rarity' value.

C) It looks damn cool. I personally love those stacked exhaust tips. And so what if they are fake, all(almost) big exhaust tips are fake.

D) Gotta agree with Phix here, it has 8 gears and that just makes me go happy2.gif
Phix
ahaha this is never going to end
Uwe
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 12 2009, 10:22 AM) *
Here's DR's comparison to help the vote along. Just read the conclusion paragraphs and that should give you all you need.

The article really said it all. The IS-F is by no means a bad car but it just isn't an M3 if you are after driver's cars.
Easton
I voted for cool - sorry guys
Dr. Strangelove
Uncool.
Razor
Dammit, this needs to DIE.
clarkma5
Finally this car moves to uncool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.