Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worst convertible ever
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Pages: 1, 2
Dr. Strangelove
OK guys lets hear it: What is the all-time worst convertible? My vote goes to the PT Cruiser turbo conv.

As if the regular PT wasn't bad enough, the geniuses at Chrysler decided to add ugly for the convertible. The top itself is somehow reminiscant of the Top Gear Convertible people carrier, minus the character.

To make matters worse, now that the top can come down, the world can see the driver, no more hiding your shame under a hard top. It's a Catch 22, putting the top down in this car is like the equivalent of joining an idiot pride parade, and leaving it up makes you 'that idiot who owns a convertible and doesn't put the top down'.

Then there is the way this car drives. In my around 2 years of valeting in Tucson, I have never driven a car with a worse chassis. Coupled with the over powerful four cylinder turbo engine from the SRT4, the car drives like a V8 powered eel corpse.

I hate this car, but there have to be cars throughout history that are just as bad, or worse.
dukenukem
I agree with the OP. I would walk before i drive a PT Loser.
Razor
PT Loser as well, close second is a relative: the Sebring.
duality
Benny
bleh.gif
Dr. Strangelove
canadian.gif Fail Benny... Freaking fail.
Benny
i stand by my decision.
Asher

No contest at all.
Zenix13
there are a lot of cars that should NEVER have the option to be a convertible
Mr b00st
Benny
moe
I love the original Saab 900 convertible, and the Lexus SC430...

The PT Cruiser maybe just about as bad as it ever got for convertibles (certainly the worst recent model). There's also these:

Fiat Punto Cabriolet...uhh yeah...

AMC Eagle

Bjorn
Three words, Le Fucking Baron
Dr. Strangelove
Aw gross! That AMC Eagle looks like Donk without the big wheels.
moe
The Jetstream SC250:

But if you can get past the looks, apparently it's a pretty capable car.

But no really, I think the worst possible convertible ever manufactured has to be the current Chrysler Sebring. It's hideous, dynamically worthless, can be expensive, built like shit...I can't think of a single redeeming feature. I'd go as far as to say it's the worst car on sale today. Period. I mean at least Chinese cars are cheap.

OHirtenfelder
My god. I didn't realise that there are this many fuckin-piece-of-shit-burn-in-a-fire ugly cars out there. Holy crap.
My vote would still sit with the PT Cruiser and that fugly Lexus POS.
Marien
I love the fact that Michael Scott, from The Office is driving a PT convertible. It really suits him smile.gif
Mr b00st
QUOTE(Benny @ Apr 1 2009, 12:49 AM) *

on a mechanical basis, you may be correct. Flop floppity flop goes the saab convertible chassis. However, they are very nice cars to drive despite this.
Benny
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Apr 1 2009, 01:53 AM) *
fugly Lexus POS.

Fugly? yes
slow? yes
useless? yes
overpriced? yes

but a "piece of shit" ?

on a mechanical basis, you may be correct. Flop floppity flop goes the saab convertible chassis. However, they are very nice cars to drive despite this.

im sure its a lovely ride but we can both agree its a shit convertible.
Halflifehavock13

Period.
Phix
Er, I think Halflifehavock just won the thread. There really IS nothing worse than the Cavalier convertible.
Megadeus
moe
^ Lol, that reminds me...

How could we forget? For the record, I do like the SSR...I have no idea why...
dukenukem
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 8 2009, 03:36 AM) *

You got dropped on your head multiple times as a child ?
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Apr 8 2009, 09:47 AM) *
You got dropped on your head multiple times as a child ?

Paint chips?
moe
I really don't have an explanation. I dunno, I should hate it, I want to...but I don't.
dukenukem
Punch yourself in the face couple of times. See if that helps.
moe
How 'bout I just punch you?
dukenukem
I am not the who likes the SSR.
moe
Isn't it bad enough that I have a strange liking for a pretty worthless, ugly car? Just leave me alone with my SSR fetish...
Phix
So, now it's a FETISH, too, moe?! Do you just LOVE watching that hard top opening and closing? So curvaceous, oh man, am I getting you WET?
porsche944
QUOTE(Phix @ Apr 9 2009, 03:39 AM) *
So, now it's a FETISH, too, moe?! Do you just LOVE watching that hard top opening and closing? So curvaceous, oh man, am I getting you WET?

why would YOU be the one getting him wet? you sound pretty into this

edit: why would HE be wet?
moe
Phix forgets that not everyone has a vagina like him.
Phix
so much for scissoring tonight, moe.
911xx
You guys are nasty.
midnightdorifto
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 8 2009, 06:51 AM) *
Paint chips?

You mean wall candy?

Anyway, phix needs to get laid. Also, I'd vote the Sebring as the worst ever. The LeBaron at least had popular culture street cred, and the Cavalier was terrible, but not quite to the level of the Sebring. I've been in a Sebring hitting the limiter at 110 with the top down. Bad idea.

Maybe the Solara is up there, but the Sebring takes the cake in my book.
fiber optic
I don't know how I forgot about this little gem but I saw a blue one on my drive home from work this week.

Visit My Website
shandyman5
While the sebring and PT are shitty I cannot believe you could say they are the worst, I mean they make good rental cars lol. But honestly c'mon there were so much shittier convertibles in the 80's/ 90's
Asher
QUOTE(Benny @ Apr 1 2009, 01:49 AM) *

I resent that.
moe
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Apr 29 2009, 07:53 AM) *
While the sebring and PT are shitty I cannot believe you could say they are the worst, I mean they make good rental cars lol. But honestly c'mon there were so much shittier convertibles in the 80's/ 90's

Sure there are worse looking convertibles, but not many that are so completely incompetent. Especially in a market where I believe there are very few truly bad cars.
Cyclone
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 8 2009, 04:36 AM) *
^ Lol, that reminds me...

It's a hot rod truck that fails at being both a hot rod and a truck. The SSR is a perfect example of a steaming pile of shit.
stuffthatsgood
moe
I actually like the Beetle Convertible. It's clean and classy, which is not something which can be said of the regular hatchback, or even the Mini convertible...
shandyman5
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 30 2009, 01:10 PM) *
I actually like the Beetle Convertible. It's clean and classy, which is not something which can be said of the regular hatchback, or even the Mini convertible...

I love the Mini convertible
dukenukem
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 30 2009, 12:10 PM) *

What is wrong with you? First the SSR and now the beetle ... head.gif
MustangAficionado
convertable beetle looks like a damn bathtub

clarkma5
There are worse cars than the NB Convertible...and worse convertibles for sure. I still think the Cavalier wins.
Neotax

bleh.gif
clarkma5
Wow I totally forgot about the Focus CC.
Razor
The Focus CC is decently attractive, though it probably is a shitty drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.