Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Man vs Woman
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Electronics & Technology
Bjorn
The wife really wants a Wii.

I had wanted a Wii, but after taking a look at the games on sale, I could only really find one or two titles I was happy with. One of which is Star Wars: Force Unleashed.

Looking at the Xbox 360 titles I was very impressed, and think there is enough to satisfy me and the wife. And I have heard that the Wii version of Force Unleashed was really compromised...focusing on the wiimote as a lightsaber, rather than improving game play.

Also the Xbox 360 is a lot cheaper than a Wii now, with the basic package costing $199 to the Wii's $279.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me some wife friendly titles I could convince her with.

She likes games like "The DaVinci Code" and "CSI"...games with puzzles in them. I have also heard good things about "Mirror's Edge".

So, what do you think?
b0mb3r
All I can tell you is that to me Wii got old really fast... we had for about 4 months now and it has not been used in over two. My PS3 with it's poor game selection gets a lot more use.
350Z
360 is the logical choice, if you like games you wont like the wii.
Seethegrim
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 28 2009, 04:21 PM) *
She likes games like "The DaVinci Code" and "CSI"...games with puzzles in them. I have also heard good things about "Mirror's Edge".

So, what do you think?

She should play those games on PC rather. She will also have a much larger selection if she likes those games for PC.

I'm not much of a console gamer, but I've played a bit on the Xbox360 & its not bad at all. Of course if i HAD to chose a console it would be the PS3 any day.
porsche944
holy balls, dont get a wii. SWFU is soooo bad on wii, it looks like a fucking n64 game (but its seriously phenomenol on 360)... as do all games on wii. Get a 360 because a) your wife is a woman b] women do not play video games... seriously at least c) you are a man d) men do play video games e) no one can play serious video games on a wii f) once the novelty had worn off, the wii has nothing g) the wii is nothing BUT novelty h) no racing games on wii i) seriously wii and 360 shouldnt even be in comparable catagories j) get the fucking 360 k) i should know i work at gamestop

if you dont believe me, watch this... I cant beleive the relevance
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...Force-Unleashed

edit: DO YOU READ REVIEWS?! who the fuck told you mirrors edge was goooood?!?!?!?!?!?!??! what a piece of shit
fiber optic
XBOX will be a tough sell. Even my wife plays Nintendo, Wii fit and Wii sports in particular. Lots of fun to be had. thumbs_up.gif
porsche944
well, fibers right in that sense. But you have two options 1) a machine that everyone can play 2) a machine for serious gamers, unfortunatly there is no comprimise here
Phix
Wii is for the uber-casual gamer. If you consider working out, light sports via WiiSports to be gaming, or if you want to play one of the best Mario games ever made (Super Mario Galaxy) and some pretty fun games which take advantage of the wiimote (Trauma Centre) then I say get a Wii.

If you're looking for more traditional gaming/focused gaming then pick up a 360 or a PS3. Anything from Halo to Gears of War to Dead Space will take care of the action need in you and Halo Wars for any sort of console RTS (it's actually not bad on a console) and Forza 2, GRiD, DiRT for your racing games (from semi-sim to arcade-sim)...

Of course, the PS3 is coming alive, too, now that it's a little bit more established. Price drops and new games are coming out and not to mention that the hardware is a lot more reliable than the 360. You have Killzone 2 which just came out recently, Gran Turismo 5 which is coming out the end of this year, Metal Gear Solid 4 if you're in that, tons of community games/arcade games on PSN (which you'd also find on Xbox Live Arcade so they're a bit matched in that regard) and so forth.
Razor
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Mar 28 2009, 03:59 PM) *
edit: DO YOU READ REVIEWS?! who the fuck told you mirrors edge was goooood?!?!?!?!?!?!??! what a piece of shit

It wasn't good. It was amazing... for literally the three hours it took me to beat it and take it back to Gamestop for a trade-in. Can you say ZERO replay value?
redls1bird
PS3 > All. As for Mirrors edge, I personally hated the game. The combination of buttons you had to learn just to make your character essentially jump got on my nerves.
Razor
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 28 2009, 10:22 PM) *
PS3 > All. As for Mirrors edge, I personally hated the game. The combination of buttons you had to learn just to make your character essentially jump got on my nerves.

Though if you did learn it, there was nothing more satisfying than nailing a huge jump followed by a roll then a vault over a fence onto an enemy while taking his weapon and shooting another one with it, all while running at peak speed.
Phix
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 28 2009, 10:22 PM) *

lulz liek wtf is this fagot shit? i jus wan 2 kill some shit
Vadvagool
Mirrors Edge is sort of boring. Its just jumping and cinematics. That game will take you a few hours to beat, and you'll never touch it again.
Bjorn
^A CBC show which has a video game guy recommended it as a game to get girlfriends/wives into gaming. I thought the concept sounded cool...but I'll take your words for it, and maybe rent it, if we ever get a 360.
350Z
QUOTE(redls1bird @ Mar 29 2009, 03:22 AM) *
PS3 > All.

Hows that then?
infinity
I think you should get a 360....and tell her to buy a Wii if she wants one.
moe
I think the Wii is a great console, and there are enough titles (Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Striker, Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Smash Bros., Zelda, Mad World, etc) out there to keep you occupied for a while.

I also really like Mirror's Edge. No replay value whatsoever, but it's an immensely satisfying game when you get it right (as someone else mentioned), and the environment looks really, really cool (hehe, anyone else notice all the sedans are Acura TSXs?)
Seethegrim
Can't believe there aren't more PC supporters out here...
350Z
PC isn't a console.
DB9
I used to be pretty big into PC gaming, but it got way to expensive to keep up with all the new graphics and whatnot. So i usually just play CS:S on my shit computer nowadays.

I have a 360 and a wii and I'll just say the 360 gets a lot more playtime than the Wii does. Either way you really can't go wrong though. Mario Kart for the Wii is fucking great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.