Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mercedes-Benz SLR Stirling Moss
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > The Cool Wall > Cool
moe

With the SLR Stirling Moss Mercedes-Benz and McLaren are adding the crowning glory to the model family of their highly successful SLR super sports car with a new, uncompromisingly spectacular car. There is neither a roof nor a windscreen to separate the driver and passenger from the outside world; they enjoy unadulterated high-speed excitement with all the attributes of a speedster.

The new Mercedes-Benz SLR Stirling Moss is also characterised by the most sophisticated technology and a breathtaking design which reinterprets the SLR legend. With 478 kW/650 hp the SLR Stirling Moss accelerates its V8 supercharged engine from standstill to 100 km/h in less than 3.5 seconds, and has a top speed of 350 km/h - no other series-production car is at the same time so open and so fast. This extreme concept makes the new high-performance sports car a legitimate bearer of the name of the British motor racing legend and Mille Miglia record-holder Stirling Moss, who drove the legendary Mercedes-Benz SLR racing cars from victory to victory during the 1950s.

The exclusive Mercedes-Benz SLR Stirling Moss rounds off the current SLR family and is limited to 75 units. It is priced at 750,000 euros. The SLR Roadster will cease to be manufactured at the end of May 2009 as planned, and production of the Mercedes-Benz SLR Stirling Moss will commence in June 2009.

Specifications
Drivetrain
Layout: Front Engine, RWD
Engine Type: Supercharged AMG-Sourced V8

Engine & Transmission
Displacement cu in (cc): 5.4 liters
Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 478 kW/650 bhp

Exterior
Body Type: 2 Door, 2 Seat Open Speedster
Materials: Carbon Fiber Exterior/Carbon Fiber, Aluminum, Leather Interior

Performance
Acceleration (0-100 km/h): Less than 3.5 seconds
Top Speed: 217 mph
Bhp per Liter: 118.2 bhp per liter
Base Price: EUR 750,000 (USD $1.05 million)

Sources:
NetCarShow
R Sportscars
Uwe
This is unusually hard to decide for me.

Most Mercedes cars are deeply uncool in my view. But Mercedes-Benz coming up with a raw speedster in which you have to wear a helmet has something. Especially when their previous idea of a supercar was the McLaren SLR which I never thought of as a true sportscar but more of a luxurious GT car. I really want to like the Stirling Moss. And the power and the performance are indeed looking impressive.

However what it kind of destroys it for me is the automatic transmission and that despite all the carbon fibre bits it probably is going to be a heavy monster.

I've not voted yet.
Phix
I'm voting cool. Just the thought of sitting in that seat with a helmet on and the noise around you as you blast down some straight before chucking this behemoth into the next corner is a very striking thought.

Hell, it'd be pretty awesome just to sit back and watch it in action.
Dr. Strangelove
Ice cold. The coolest car money can buy right now.
clarkma5
Cool concept, not a fan of the execution. Just like the SLR its based on its big and heavy, and it's also sinfully ugly. Uncool.
Halflifehavock13
I gave it a cool because I see the lack of a roof as a big middle finger to the idea of being a grand tourer, much of what the slr was blamed for.
Uwe
Ok, finally I voted cool. After having a look at the original 300 SLR I have to say it is the perfect modern reincarnation.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.