Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My name is finally appropriate
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Mr b00st

Oh no! Mr_b00st finally has boost!

I sold the Jetta last thursday and picked this up on Friday...

It's an '88 Saab 900 SPG (Special Performance Group package) with the 16 valve turbo motor. So now I have about 13psi of boost... for now.

Car has 135k on the clock (that's like 6k a year since in 1988... not too bad) and is freaking mint. I picked it up for 3k, sold the Jetta for 7.5k, pocketed the difference to pay some bills (legal problems, credit card ran up) and ended up with a car I like MUCH better than the old one. The Jetta was reliable and got me from A to B and sounded great (opinion) but i got sick of it... this car... am so in love.

stock power is 175bhp, 201lb-ft... so it's pretty quick for a 2800-odd pound car. Future plans include an Abbott Racing ECU, 3.3 bar FPR, Forge dump valve (ordered), new APC 3 position solenoid (aka MBC) and a few other things... should have me around 225-235bhp. Then I have to resist the urge to nail it in second because these cars have notoriously fragile transmissions...

anyway, figured I'd share the new car with the forum. Feel free to pour the Haterade on me now.

-James
clarkma5
I'm rather shocked you sold the Jetta...and that you only got $7500 for it. But I hope this is a fun car for you, and that you're smarter about it than hex and his scirocco...
Marien
Well, you of all people should know the drill wink.gif

Congraz with your new toy, I think it has more character than the Jetta.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 17 2009, 06:15 PM) *
I'm rather shocked you sold the Jetta...and that you only got $7500 for it. But I hope this is a fun car for you, and that you're smarter about it than hex and his scirocco...

it was a monetary need, and I was sick of the car, so it made sense. CarMax only offered me $4500 for the Jetta! the mileage was a bit high for the age (75,000 on an '05) but still. Market's just bad.

what about Hex and his scirrocco? I think i missed that episode.

QUOTE(Marien @ Mar 17 2009, 06:15 PM) *
Well, you of all people should know the drill wink.gif

Congraz with your new toy, I think it has more character than the Jetta.

Oh fine, pic coming soon...

and I certainly think it's got more character than the Jetta :-) I like it.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Mar 17 2009, 04:34 PM) *
what about Hex and his scirrocco? I think i missed that episode.

It's ongoing, I've just given up on him and his slipshod "project"...six weeks for coilovers, rims, and a little body work, all while costing as little as possible. It fails to address what the car really needs and overall he's in la-la land.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 17 2009, 06:37 PM) *
It's ongoing, I've just given up on him and his slipshod "project"...six weeks for coilovers, rims, and a little body work, all while costing as little as possible. It fails to address what the car really needs and overall he's in la-la land.

oh. This car isn't a project - it's a daily driver. how big are MY balls? DD an old Turbo Saab... out of my mind.

No but seriously... car is in amazing shape. Only thing that's not working are the heated seats, and i'm gettin' on that soon.
Phix
Wow, b00st, wow.

Just wow.

I actually envy you.
moe
is b00st no longer a douche? congrats man, i love it.
Mitlov
I love that generation Saab. Two thumbs up.

As for Jetta resale, you're right, market is bad. Plus, customization hurts resale, even if it improves the car.
Asher
Good shit yo. I'm loving my 1992 Turbo, such a fun car to drive. The midrange boost is intoxicating. SPGs are very sweet.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(Asher @ Mar 17 2009, 06:56 PM) *
Good shit yo. I'm loving my 1992 Turbo, such a fun car to drive. The midrange boost is intoxicating. SPGs are very sweet.

is yours a 16 valve? 3rd gear in these cars is so intoxicating
b0mb3r
damn... interesting choice of a car... is the engine backwards on this one? like the timing belt is against the firewall?

I am surprised that your jetta lost so much value... my 2006 GTI with 55K is worth around 14.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(moe @ Mar 17 2009, 06:50 PM) *
is b00st no longer a douche? congrats man, i love it.

up for debate at least?
dukenukem
You still haven't proven its your car.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Mar 17 2009, 07:30 PM) *
damn... interesting choice of a car... is the engine backwards on this one? like the timing belt is against the firewall?

I am surprised that your jetta lost so much value... my 2006 GTI with 55K is worth around 14.

Edmunds TMV was $8006, NADA was just over 9k. I lowered the price because of the body damage (deer dent on side, dented hood from a fat chick's ass, etc.)

Timing chain*

Engine is indeed "backwards" - power comes off the front and is transferred to the trans (mounted to the bottom of the engine) via a set of gears. Kinda wacky.
Razor
I am no longer afraid to consider myself a proud VW owner. tongue.gif
clarkma5
Hey b00st, when you get a sign up feel free to change it to "Razor is a douche".
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 17 2009, 09:13 PM) *
Hey b00st, when you get a sign up feel free to change it to "Razor is a douche".

I'm an atheist, but I damn well do believe in karma. I sure as hell hope that you don't act like you do on here IRL for your sake, because if you do, one of these days someone's going to knock you off your high pedestal.
clarkma5
So, wait a second here...you have the audacity to imply that b00st having the same brand of car as you is shameful and then you tell me that I'm baiting karma for being mean to you? That's what we call a double standard...

Yes b00st, "Razor is a douche" will do just nicely in big, bold letters. Get it on 11x17 if you can find some.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 17 2009, 09:22 PM) *
So, wait a second here...you have the audacity to imply that b00st having the same brand of car as you is shameful and then you tell me that I'm baiting karma for being mean to you? That's what we call a double standard...

Yes b00st, "Razor is a douche" will do just nicely in big, bold letters. Get it on 11x17 if you can find some.

Smiley. Joke. And not just treating me the way you do. You expect to get away with your blatant elitism forever? Meh, nevermind.
Asher
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Mar 17 2009, 08:30 PM) *
is yours a 16 valve? 3rd gear in these cars is so intoxicating

Yes, oh my god. So much passing power. And in 5th, on the interstate, at 75 you're right at max torque, just floor it and pass everybody.
Aircooled
I don't know why, but I've always liked saabs.

On a different thought, aren't older saabs notoriously unreliable?
dukenukem
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 17 2009, 08:13 PM) *

No. Its "Razor is a pussy".
hexagone
lol, $7500? owned. Now that's taking a hit.

There is some obscure quality about this one that I like though. Downgrading from a reliable daily to something that will certainly become a money-sucking 'project' isn't what I'd say a great idea... but it's your call.

Also clark, while my 'project' may seem all sorts of damn ridiculous and weird, in the end I'm able to recoup 100%, if not more of the $ I've put into it (if I have to). And in the end, that's damn good.
Mr b00st
gah Razor why are you failing up my thread? sad.gif
dukenukem
I see one of these 900s on my way to the office and that thing is flawless. Love the quirkiness of the old Saabs.
nismo
Courtesey of Aircooled...
Synesthesia
Haha yeah, that is my only negative comment...that boost gauge is hateful. At least install it more professionally. Congratulations on the purchase!
b0mb3r
lol so many haters here... on the other hand it would interesting when he has to change his timing belt or anything like that.
I demand pictures of the engine bay. I want to see what the "reverse" engine looks like.
Mitlov
QUOTE(nismo @ Mar 18 2009, 12:09 AM) *
Courtesey of Aircooled...

Pure win.
maxima302
Lets hope you don't have a mechanical problem, because if you do, its going to cost you big bucks.
Asher
Can I buy your fogs?
Mr b00st
boost gauge was installed because the stock boost gauge isn't calibrated and isn't even sort of accurate. The picture caused me some serious lawls, though. And I have since wrapped and tucked the wiring for the gauge. Yes, it's tacky - but in an 80's turbo car, it's useful to keep an eye on things with a big-boy calibrated gauge that actually reacts to boost.

Which came in handy already, as I noticed the car is sporadically spiking all the way to 17psi, despite being restricted stock to 12 psi, which means something is awry with the APC system (boost management.) I am thinking the rise rate is set too high and is spiking before the APC has time to react to the set maximum boost rate, which is a common problem. Considering it causes the stock clutch to slip in 5th, it's good to have a gauge to know this.

so, mechanical plans for the 900 Turbo at this point are:

-9000 Aero or '90-'93 900 Turbo clutch (228mm instead of 216mm) and flywheel
-lower rise rate on APC, raise max boost threshold
-fuel cut delete mod
-3.0 or 3.3bar FPR
-Forge dump valve
-good MBC
-gut cat, maybe custom downpipe?

also a few other things... ordered a new set of fogs, if you notice one is missing... PO destroyed it, so i won a set on auction on ebay, should be coming soon. Also ordered 4 new speakers, the 21 year old paper cone "premium" speakers leave something to be desired. Got 'em for $150 of crutchfield, so not too bad and it already has a decent headunit so that's good to go.
Ozi
A friend of mine has the same exact car in red. I am not sure if its the special edition like yours but his is also a Turbo. That thing sounds good man!
infinity
DS Swede Meet soon?
Mr b00st
QUOTE(infinity @ Mar 19 2009, 02:39 PM) *
DS Swede Meet soon?

yeah dude I got plenty of time, send me a text this week. tomorrow or thurs. afternoon is best
Cyclone
Yuck bleh.gif
Mr b00st
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Mar 25 2009, 09:00 PM) *
Yuck bleh.gif

??
Phix
He doesn't like you or your car.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(Phix @ Mar 26 2009, 12:18 PM) *
He doesn't like you or your car.

...and the Pope's a Nazi, what else is new?
Cyclone
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Mar 26 2009, 11:50 PM) *
...and the Pope's a Nazi, what else is new?

Does he shit in the woods yet?

I like a lot of the newer Saab's but I just can't get into the old ones. That and I'm in the 'why sell a newer reliable car for this old thing' boat.
Cyclone
Take a picture of your engine bay. It's crazy how those old Saab's have the engine mounted backwards.
Bjorn
^What does that mean?

I have heard it a few times now...does that mean the transmission is in front of the engine?
Mr b00st
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Mar 29 2009, 05:03 PM) *
Take a picture of your engine bay. It's crazy how those old Saab's have the engine mounted backwards.

just for you:

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 29 2009, 08:39 PM) *
^What does that mean?

I have heard it a few times now...does that mean the transmission is in front of the engine?

the power output from the engine comes off the front and is transmitted to the transmission via a set of gears. The trans is mounted sideways to the bottom of the motor, forming the oil pan. It's fecking weird.
b0mb3r
daaaaaaaaaaaaamn thats crowded... those things are a real treat to work on... let us know when you are doing any of the engine work tongue.gif
Bjorn
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Mar 30 2009, 09:29 PM) *
the power output from the engine comes off the front and is transmitted to the transmission via a set of gears. The trans is mounted sideways to the bottom of the motor, forming the oil pan. It's fecking weird.

I love my people (the Scandinavians) but we do some fucking weird shit.

Is there a logical reason for this kind of arrangement?
b0mb3r
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 31 2009, 05:57 AM) *
I love my people (the Scandinavians) but we do some fucking weird shit.

Is there a logical reason for this kind of arrangement?

yep engine sits behind the axle netting better weight distribution.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Mar 31 2009, 03:02 PM) *
yep engine sits behind the axle netting better weight distribution.

actually, it sits almost entirely in front of the axle if you look. It's just plain strange.

and, it's not so bad to work on. I replaced the ignition amplifier module and have been replacing/rerouting vacuum lines to clean it up the last few days. The hood opening forward is nice when you're actually working on it. It's just fun because you can see the completely bizarre way Saab did things. It is rather easy to change the oil, at least! You can just reach the oil filter from the top with a flexible wrench, right under the IM. Basic maintenance stuff (besides belts) is real easy. the distributor is just sittin' out there in the front. Only thing that's a real pain to reach is the bypass valve.

By the way, the Saab is costing me a large wad of cash to get a few things fixed that needed to be taken care of post-PO this week. I suppose I knew it was coming.
Cyclone
Also suppose that we all TOLD YOU SO.....
porsche944

yikes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.