Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY '09: Non-Sports Overall
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
This is a vote between the six non-sports category winners. Vote for the one you consider most significant, or the best, or whatever you want. This poll will close in ten days.

For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year '09 competition, please see this thread.

Honda Fit
Base MSRP:
$14,750
Available Engines: 1.5 liter SOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 117 HP and 106 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic transmission (with paddle shifters on Fit Sport model)
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 28 City/35 Highway (5AT non-Sport), 28/35 (5MT & 5AT Sport)
Curb Weight: 2489-2615 lbs.

Hyundai Genesis
Base MSRP:
$32,250 (V6), $37,250 (V8)
Available Engines: 3.8 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 290 HP and 264 ft.-lbs. of torque, 4.6 liter DOHC 32-valve V8 with 375 HP and 333 ft.-lbs. of torque (368/324 on regular gas)
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 18 City/27 Highway (V6), 17/25 (V8)
Curb Weight: 3748-4012 lbs.

Mazda6
Base MSRP:
$18,550 (2.5), $24,130 (V6)
Available Engines: 2.5 liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4 with 170 HP and 167 ft.-lbs. of torque (168/166 in PZEV states), 3.7 liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with 272 HP and 269 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual (2.5 only), 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities (2.5 only), or 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities (V6 only)
EPA Fuel Economy: 21 City/30 Highway (2.5 5AT), 20/29 (2.5 6MT), 17/25 (V6)
Curb Weight: 3258-3547 lbs.

Rolls-Royce Phantom Coupé
Base MSRP:
$400,000
Available Engines: 6.75 liter DOHC 48-valve V12 with 453 HP and 531 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic transmission
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 11 City/18 Highway
Curb Weight: 5798 lbs.

Volkswagen CC
Base MSRP:
$26,790 (2.0T), $38,700 (3.6)
Available Engines: 2.0 liter DOHC turbocharged 16-valve inline-4 with 200 HP and 207 ft.-lbs. of torque, 3.6 liter DOHC 24-valve VR6 with 280 HP and 265 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual (2.0T only) or 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: Front wheel drive or All-wheel drive (3.6 only)
EPA Fuel Economy: 21 City/31 Highway (6MT), 19/29 (2.0T 6AT), 18/27 (FWD 3.6), 17/25 (4Motion VR6)
Curb Weight: 3300-3854 lbs.

Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Base MSRP:
$22,270 (Sedan), $23,870 (Wagon)
Available Engines: 2.0 liter DOHC turbocharged diesel 16-valve inline-4 with 140 HP and 236 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual or 6-speed dual-clutch transmission
EPA Fuel Economy: 30 City/41 Highway (5MT), 29/40 (6AMT)
Curb Weight: 3230-3285 lbs.

moe
genesis
Vadvagool
Genesis...its pretty much the biggest breakthrough car.
Mitlov
Genesis. Not just a great car, but a historic car, for Hyundai and for the Korean auto industry as a whole.
moe
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Mar 15 2009, 01:45 PM) *
Genesis. Not just a great car, but a historic car, for Hyundai and for the Korean auto industry as a whole.

i've heard that more times than i count...
duality
i think we are all in agreement... whistle.gif
Aircooled
Why is a $14,750 car with a 1.5 liter SOHC 16-valve inline-4 being compared with a $400,000 car with a 6.75 liter DOHC 48-valve V12 engine?
clarkma5
Because they each won their categories. If you're going to do a car of the year vote, at some point it has to pit cheap cars against expensive ones.
infinity
It's interesting to me how a $400k 450hp V12 Rolls Royce Coupe is losing to a Hyundai sedan and a VW on an automotive enthusiast forum when members are asked which of the choices is their favorite.

Do you all actually like the Genesis more than the Rolls? I just don't get it...
clarkma5
Has anyone on this forum ever had much interest in Rolls Royces, or ultra-luxury cars in general?

The Genesis is attainable and RWD, which we all love, and many people here like to root for Hyundai.
Mitlov
QUOTE(infinity @ Mar 16 2009, 07:53 PM) *
It's interesting to me how a $400k 450hp V12 Rolls Royce Coupe is losing to a Hyundai sedan and a VW on an automotive enthusiast forum when members are asked which of the choices is their favorite.

Do you all actually like the Genesis more than the Rolls? I just don't get it...

Since when does "automotive enthusiast" mean that you don't consider "bang for the buck" and "groundbreaking-ness" along with other factors you look at?

The Rolls is super-duper-luxurious, but it gets a negative ten zillion for bang-for-the-buck and it's not that groundbreaking (take Phantom, remove two doors, sell for more than most people's houses). The Genesis is an upstart Lexus-killer, good luxury-for-the-real-world, and it's truly historic for Hyundai and Korea. I know which one deserves my vote.
MustangAficionado
Plus mother f'n 1
Razor
QUOTE(Mitlov @ Mar 17 2009, 01:44 AM) *
Since when does "automotive enthusiast" mean that you don't consider "bang for the buck" and "groundbreaking-ness" along with other factors you look at?

The Rolls is super-duper-luxurious, but it gets a negative ten zillion for bang-for-the-buck and it's not that groundbreaking (take Phantom, remove two doors, sell for more than most people's houses). The Genesis is an upstart Lexus-killer, good luxury-for-the-real-world, and it's truly historic for Hyundai and Korea. I know which one deserves my vote.

Amen.
goota
QUOTE(infinity @ Mar 16 2009, 07:53 PM) *

yeah, we know you dont get it.
moe
QUOTE(infinity @ Mar 17 2009, 02:10 AM) *
Ask yourself "will it bother me looking at a Hyundai badge on the steering wheel of my car every day?"

QUOTE(infinity @ Mar 17 2009, 06:53 AM) *

there's a difference between an enthusiast, and a badge snob.
OHirtenfelder
Can I just come in here and ask something? We don't get the Genesis here in SA, and I've only really read about the Genesis Coupe.
Why is the Genesis such a historic/milestone/breakthrough car for Hyundai?
dukenukem
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Mar 17 2009, 02:14 PM) *
Can I just come in here and ask something? We don't get the Genesis here in SA, and I've only really read about the Genesis Coupe.

Its their first stab to get away from the econo-cheapass car maker image and they nailed it on the head. Its extremely well executed and achieves everything it set out to achieve without any gimmicks.
Mitlov
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Mar 17 2009, 12:14 PM) *

It's for Hyundai what the first Lexus LS was for Toyota. A luxurious, reliable Mercedes-killer at 2/3s the Mercedes price. Since most Americans still think of Hyundai as a "bad credit? no credit? you can still drive off in a brand new Accent!" sort of brand, this is pretty remarkable. I've ridden around as a passenger in a Genesis sedan, and it really did feel like a Merc or Lexus going down the road.
moe
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Mar 17 2009, 11:14 PM) *

check these out.

motive | genesis vs e-class

inside line | genesis vs gs
Aircooled
QUOTE(infinity @ Mar 16 2009, 10:53 PM) *

It is a humongous step for them and people on this forum acknowledge that. Next year there will be cool new cars out and the new impressiveness of the Genesis will wear off and it will taking a back seat to newer cars and probably not win the DSCOTY of its segment next year. But now it is pretty impressive and everyone loves it and appreciates it for what it is, a step out of the shitbox closet, and a good step at that.
clarkma5
Aircooled, the genesis sedan won't be in DSCOTY next year because DSCOTY is only for models that are new or significantly revised for that model year...seeing as how the 2010 Genesis should be about the same as the 2009 Genesis, it won't be included. The Genesis Coupe will be in, though.
Flaw
The Honda Fit.
Phix
The Rolls.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.