Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY '09: Exotics
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
clarkma5
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year '09 competition, please see this thread.

Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione Coupe
Base MSRP:
$265,000
Available Engines: 4.7 liter DOHC 32-valve V8 with 444 HP and 347 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed sequential manual transmission
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive with limited slip differential
EPA Fuel Economy: N/A
Curb Weight: 3494 lbs.

Bentley Continental GTC Speed
Base MSRP:
$240,000
Available Engines: 6.0 liter DOHC twin-turbocharged 48-valve W12 with 600 HP and 553 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities
Available Drivetrains: All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 10 City/17 Highway
Curb Weight: 5478 lbs.

Ferrari California
Base MSRP:
$200,000 (estimated)
Available Engines: 4.3 liter DOHC 32-valve V8 with 453 HP and 358 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 7-speed dual-clutch transmission
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive with limited slip differential
EPA Fuel Economy: N/A
Curb Weight: 3825 lbs.

Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 Coupe
Base MSRP:
$198,000
Available Engines: 5.2 liter DOHC 40-valve V10 with 553 HP and 398 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual or 6-speed sequential manual transmission
Available Drivetrains: All-wheel drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 14 City/20 Highway (e-Gear), 12/20 (6MT)
Curb Weight: 3307 lbs.

Mercedes-Benz SL-Class AMG models (excluding Black Series)
Base MSRP:
$135,000 (SL63), $194,700 (SL65)
Available Engines: 6.2 liter DOHC 32-valve V8 with 518 HP and 465 ft.-lbs. of torque, 6.0 liter SOHC twin-turbocharged 36-valve V12 with 604 HP and 738 ft.-lbs. of torque
Available Transmissions: 7-speed multi-clutch automatic gearbox with manual shift capabilities (SL63 only) or 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift capabilities (SL65 only)
Available Drivetrains: Rear wheel drive (limited slip differential available on SL63, standard on SL65)
EPA Fuel Economy: 12 City/19 Highway (SL63), 11/18 (SL65)
Curb Weight: 4274-4555 lbs.

Razor
Gallardo LP560-4... sex, sex, sex. If anyone votes for the California, they are Paris Hilton.
clarkma5
I would consider voting for the Ferrari...if it were a coupe only. The hardtop convertible kills it in several ways...makes it heavier, makes it less of a performance machine, gives it a softer image, and it also just looks ten times better with the top up.

I went for the Gallardo too. The Alfa is very pretty but it doesn't have much substance for this price point. It's basically a Granturismo without rear seats in sexier duds (not like the Maserati's ugly) for more than twice the cost. Pass.
Vadvagool
Can you change my vote to the Lambo
clarkma5
QUOTE(Vadvagool @ Mar 13 2009, 10:14 PM) *
Can you change my vote to the Lambo

I assume you voted for the bentley?

Changed.
Mitlov
Alfa, for its pure timeless sexiness.
dukenukem
Tough fight between the 8C and the Lambo. Still deciding.
moe
The Alfa is the stuff of dreams. Super exclusive, super sexy...yes, it's horribly flawed, but I don't care. It's the one I'd want in my garage. The others are all worthy contenders, and better cars overall tbh.
Easton
I picked the Lambo, barely over the Ferrari.

I'm amazed there arn't anymore votes for the Fazza
midnightdorifto
The MB AMGs are wonderful, but they're wonderful in a GT-only sort of way. The Bentley is soft and squishy and has nothing spectacular to offer. The California? Ugh. Ferrari has seriously deviated from their mission here and made another Mondial - that's not a compliment. The rest of my logic can be found in several posts here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225805

The Alfa was a close second, but the Gallardo is the only proper track car here, so it gets the nod.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the California has fake exhaust tips like the IS-F. Not cool.
Bjorn
Alpha, great looking car, but dynamically lacking.

Bentley, too grey ppupon for my taste.

Ferrari, does very little for me, although word on the street is that it performs like a proper Ferrari.

Mercedes are not exotics in my mind. Even the SLR seemed too sedate to be put among the likes of the Carrera GT and Ferrari Enzo.

Lambo...best looking Lambo since the original Mercielago...the Gallardo's re design took away a lot of the details I wasn't thrilled with on the original car. Performance is great, looks are great, image is great...I wouldn't be surprised if it took the top prize this year.
911xx
I am Paris Hilton.
DB9
That lambo kicks soooooo much ass. I think I've watched the one commercial with the black and white one like twenty times.
Razor
QUOTE(911xx @ Mar 14 2009, 01:01 PM) *
I am Paris Hilton.

Fail. tongue.gif

QUOTE(DB9 @ Mar 14 2009, 01:53 PM) *
That lambo kicks soooooo much ass. I think I've watched the one commercial with the black and white one like twenty times.

Same. The rims on them are awesome.
Dr. Strangelove
[blasphemy]I am bored with almost every design to come out of both Aston Martin and Lamborghini. They haven't done anything new style wise in a long time.[/blasphemy]

I voted for the Ferrari, because I am a worthless fanboi.
nismo
Gallardo.
duality
This was easier than I thought. Lady Gallardo for me please.
Vadvagool
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 13 2009, 10:20 PM) *
I assume you voted for the bentley?

Changed.

Yup. Thanks.
4wheelfreak
My fanboism makes me really want to give my vote to the Ferrari, but those fake exhaust tips really kill it for me. Isn't Ferrari supposed to be focused on functionality? It's still not a total FAIL in my book, but it does have some major flaws. My vote goes to the Gallardo. But for the record- I don't think it looks all that good (not anywhere close to the Reventon).
Easton
I've been in/slept/cruised in the LP560-4 and the new SL AMG and the SL dosn't feel like a supercar at all. It's barely even a rich cruiser.

When we had the convoy of course, the SL was by far the most expensive car of the lot - yet it received a disproportionately low amount of attention from the public.

Not everyone cares about such attention but this is after all the "Exotics" category biggrin.gif

And the Lambo is pure sex on wheels - but unbelievably livable and comfortable.
Aircooled
Alfa, lambo looks like almost every other lambo for the last decade. Frarri, eh seems like they are trying too hard. H ave never been one of Bents, and the Merc is lacking something.
MustangAficionado
I'm not voting until it's explained to me why the ZR1 isn't listed here
Razor
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Mar 15 2009, 01:11 AM) *
I'm not voting until it's explained to me why the ZR1 isn't listed here

My fault for not remembering... it's actually here.

http://forums.dieselstation.com/index.php?showtopic=27086

Whoops. tongue.gif
MustangAficionado
So its a price criteria then and not performance, I guess that makes some sense. Although the ZR1 is certainly a super car as well.
clarkma5
Yeah it's mainly a price thing. The ZR1 fit in better with the $70k-low $100s crowd than this crowd based on price alone.
Flaw
The LP is so darn nimble and awesome, it has to win.
Phix
I went with the Ferrari California. One of my favourite modern day Ferraris.

Fuck you, Razor.
Razor
QUOTE(Phix @ Mar 19 2009, 02:15 AM) *
I went with the Ferrari California. One of my favourite modern day Ferraris.

Fuck you, Razor.

Fuck you, Phixis Hilton.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.